Lelit Bianca V3: My wordy impressions after 2 months of use - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#31: Post by BaristaBob »

Oren,

Two questions...

Do you know what the water debit is in low flow mode and what is the max pressure when using it? My BDB has a normal water debit of 6.5ml/sec. and under preinfusion it's 3.5ml/sec.

Is your machine 110 or 240v? I've been told the 240v machines warm up more quickly than the 110v machines.

Regards,
Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Theodore

#32: Post by Theodore »

Can some guy help me to find a way to set up the electronic low flow?I can't find one so far.
Espresso uber alles.

boren (original poster)

#33: Post by boren (original poster) »

@Theodore - It only exists in the V3. Are you sure that's the version you have?

boren (original poster)

#34: Post by boren (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote: Do you know what the water debit is in low flow mode and what is the max pressure when using it? My BDB has a normal water debit of 6.5ml/sec. and under preinfusion it's 3.5ml/sec.
I haven't measured it, but if it's still relevant I can.
Is your machine 110 or 240v? I've been told the 240v machines warm up more quickly than the 110v machines.
Mine is the European version, so 220-240 volt.

BaristaBob

#35: Post by BaristaBob »

boren wrote:I haven't measured it, but if it's still relevant I can.

Mine is the European version, so 220-240 volt.
Hi Oren,

Even though you have a European model, I'm thinking that makes no difference on flow and pressure. If you have time, I'd love to know the water debit and max pressure of the Bianca in Low Flow Mode.

Thanks

boren (original poster)

#36: Post by boren (original poster) »

@Bob, here are the test results with my Bianca (after adjusting the pump pressure for a maximum of 9 bar instead of 10 bar):

Maximum pressure in Low Flow mode: 2 bar at 2 seconds; 4 bar at 10 seconds; 5 bar at 20 seconds; 5.5 bar at 30 seconds
Maximum pressure in High Flow mode: 9 bar was reached after about 7 seconds and remained stable.
Water debit in Low Flow mode: 3 ml/s with paddle fully open, 1.6 ml/s with it half-closed
Water debit in High Flow mode: 5.2 ml/s with paddle fully open, 2.5 ml/s with it half-closed

I checked the maximum pressure using the grouphead manometer and a blind portafilter. Keep in mind that shortly after purchasing the machine I adjusted the pump maximum pressure down to 9 bar. It was originally set to 10 bar and would probably produce different results in its original configuration.

BaristaBob

#37: Post by BaristaBob »

boren wrote:@Bob, here are the test results:

Maximum pressure in Low Flow mode: 2 bar at 2 seconds; 4 bar at 10 seconds; 5 bar at 20 seconds; 5.5 bar at 30 seconds
Maximum pressure in High Flow mode: 9 bar was reached after about 7 seconds and remained stable.
Water debit in Low Flow mode: 3 ml/s with paddle fully open, 1.6 ml/s with it half-closed
Water debit in High Flow mode: 5.2 ml/s with paddle fully open, 2.5 ml/s with it half-closed

I checked the maximum pressure using the grouphead manometer and a blind portafilter. Keep in mind that shortly after purchasing the machine I adjusted the pump maximum pressure down to 9 bar. It was originally set to 10 bar and would probably produce different results in its original configuration.
Thanks, Oren. That's great information, need a little time to digest it and compare to my Breville 920xl. I can regulate flow too since I did the Slayer mod, but I feel my control is not nearly as precise shot after shot as the Bianca.

boren (original poster)

#38: Post by boren (original poster) »

boren wrote: Lelit's L58 grouphead is apparently different from a true E61 grouphead, and the company is not providing details about the differences. The one thing I noticed is that it lacks the middle lever position. This means there's no way to hold pressure (e.g. during backflush, with the pump off) and no way to pause manual pre-infusion when one sees first drops. The Lelit lever does have a middle "click", but it seems to serve no purpose and behaves the same as the top lever position.
I'm glad to say that this con (which was annoying enough for me to list first) can actually be solved, despite what Lelit Support told me. You need to remove the top cover and then release the external and internal nuts that hold the micro-switch so that you can reposition it to not touch the lever cam when in the middle position. Basically the opposite of what Lelit Insider demonstrates in this video.

It boggles the mind why Lelit thinks it's sensible to ship the machine without a functional middle position, with a maximum pressure of 10 bar, and with a setting that completely turns the machine off after 30 minutes. There are solutions for all three issues but it would be so much better if owners wouldn't have to "fix" the machine and could just unbox it and enjoy its full capabilities straight away.

BaristaBob

#39: Post by BaristaBob »

Does this middle position work if the machine is not plumbed in? I'd be running off the reservoir if I buy this machine.

boren (original poster)

#40: Post by boren (original poster) »

After this adjustment, yes. To pre-infuse using the lever on a machine that's not plumbed in, lift the lever all the way to the top to start the pump, then once the basket is fully saturated lower the lever to the middle position. Bloom for as long as you want, then lift the lever again to start the main extraction.