Lelit Bianca V3: My wordy impressions after 2 months of use - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
boren (original poster)

#21: Post by boren (original poster) »

@skansen - I just logged into into care.lelit.com, but they manage to hide this manual so well that I can't find it even when I know what to look for:

Where do you see the extended manual?

skansen

#22: Post by skansen »

@boren: For my EU version list is a bit longer, and contains extended manual:

mmartins

#23: Post by mmartins »

Regarding the lever on the middle position. I'm not sure if it works without the machine being plumbed but by putting the lever on that position it looks like the valve is opened as some water comes out of the group head and the valve

BaristaBob

#24: Post by BaristaBob »

boren wrote:Update: I reduced it to 9 bar and intend to keep it that way. The upside is that, if I want, I can get classic 9 bar shots without touching the flow control. The downside is that maintaining 9 bar throughout the shot is no longer possible. If the flow control is fully open and pressure reduces to 8 bar due to puck degradation there's no way to increase it back to 9.
This is something common to most machines. If you set the OPV to 9 bar then it's common for the pressure to drop as the puck begins to erode. It's purposeful to lower the pressure to slow the flow rate as the flow moves toward its end...and I believe the Bianca does this extremely well.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

boren (original poster)

#25: Post by boren (original poster) »

Marco, unfortunately my machine is not plumbed-in so I can't test the middle lever position in this context. If only I could find a solution that automatically mixes my water recipe...

Bob, I haven't regretted reducing the maximum pressure from 10 to 9 bar. If anything, I find that reducing it further (using the paddle) almost always produces espresso that tastes better to me.

mmartins

#26: Post by mmartins »

Neither do I, but tried to put the lever at middle and that's what happened.
I'm also doing my own water currently 60/90 with magnesium and Bicarbonate, and you?

Some notes of my small 2 weeks experience:
- I also noticed the soggy puck you mentioned, with both 14-18 and 18-21 baskets on light roasts with 18gr doses.
- I get really low extraction on the puck edges (really dark compared to the rest of the push) with the default baskets (I think because the basket funnels)
- My machine gets up to 11.5 bar pressure at group head, I'm considering lower it to 9.5/10 bar
- Temp wise I'm tempted to apply these changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76OEFhdu6DE

boren (original poster)

#27: Post by boren (original poster) »

My recipe is based on RPavlis recipe with some Epsom salt. I use two 500ml extract bottles. The first with 5 gram of Potassium Bicarbonate, the second with 7.5 gram of Magnesium Sulfate. I then mix 40ml from each extract into a container with 4 liters of RO water.

I would reduce pressure at the group head to 9 bar at most. I don't see any value in higher pressure and I do see a lot of value in being able to get a straight 9 bar profile without having to touch the paddle.

I have to admit I didn't play with the technical menu of the Bianca. Do you notice any benefit from these changes?

mmartins

#28: Post by mmartins »

How does that recipe translates HB final GH/KH?

I haven't done the changes yet but the main difference is that it will increase the existing 10c offset to 14c making it more close the set temp at group head

boren (original poster)

#29: Post by boren (original poster) »

mmartins wrote:How does that recipe translates HB final GH/KH?
I'm not sure. What I can test at home is hardness and PH. Using WaterWorks 481108 (test strips) hardness matches the second indication square, so about ~40 ppm. Using a PH test tool (which I calibrated several months ago) PH is about 6.7. I use this water for both espresso and pourover and am overall happy with flavor. In terms of avoiding corrosion and scale buildup I hope these values show it's safe to use with my Bianca stainless steel boilers.

boren (original poster)

#30: Post by boren (original poster) »

My tips for getting better results with the Bianca, quoted from another thread:

1. Reduce maximum pump pressure to 9 bar. Here's how.
2. Use a puck screen. Preferably a thin (0.2mm) one.
3. Increase the dose to the maximum that fits without the coffee touching the shower screen during extraction. If you're using a puck screen, the only way to really tell is to monitor flow rate (e.g. with a suitable scale). If it starts to decrease during extraction instead of increase, you likely should reduce the dose.
4. Skip pre-infusion and use the low flow mode. Set it to a second or so after first drops cover the bottom of the basket. You can probably get even better results with pre-infustion mode used with regular flow until the same point and then a 5 or 10 second pause (bloom), but it adds more complexity and unless your puck prep is perfect the high flow can result in channeling.
5. Leave the paddle in the fully open position until you feel you get consistently good results and are ready to explore pressure profiles.