Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 100

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
badgerbimmer

#991: Post by badgerbimmer »

My machine is 11 months old or so. I don't use the hot water dispenser very often. Tried to make an Americano today, basically not water came out? Steams just fine. I used cleaned water so it is not calcium build up. Any guesses as to problem?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#992: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Try removing the spout and see what happens. If that's not it, it could be the valve is jamming or that the knob is way off whack. It works the same way as the steam valve, with the knob just activating a lever. Good luck
Jim Schulman

badgerbimmer

#993: Post by badgerbimmer replying to another_jim »

Thanks Jim I will give that a try. It is odd because there will be an initial flow of maybe an ounce then it sputters yielding very little additional water. i'll see if it does the same thing with the spout off.

Don Task

#994: Post by Don Task »

I finally buckled and picked up a Bianca :mrgreen: ... but truth be told I always found her a little too flashy for my taste (not to mention water spots and being a finger print magnet) :cry: Other than that she had everything I wanted... however... more than once my wife reminded me all our kitchen appliances are black. So... the first thing I had to do after taking it out of the box was to wrap it. Without the external water tank, and being plumbed and drained through a hole in the wall behind the machine she fits perfectly on our 18" countertop. Life is good!

Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

clearlynotstefan

#995: Post by clearlynotstefan »

Don Task wrote:Yikes!... I'm afraid you might be in trouble my friend. I've spent my far share of time living in apartments when I was younger. Low water pressure is almost a way of like. All kinds of problems depending on the age of the building. Things like clogged pipes where rust and sediment have built up over the years. Valves can also become clogged. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of your landlord. If enough tenants complain he/she may, or may not, hire someone to come in and do an inspection of the buildings plumbing but the expense of fixing the problem may be more that the landlord is willing to pay. The problem could also be related to lacking infrastructure in your immediate neighborhood. Low pressure can also be affiliated with the floor you live on with lower floors having better pressure than upper floors.

As much as it sucks... you might want to consider using the tank/reservoir which will probably be easier than trying to get the landlord to fix the issue. However... if you hate the idea of using the reservoir in the machine the next option would be a big 5 gallon water and Flojet pump. There's a lot of information on configuring your espresso machine with a flojet but if you are unfamiliar with the topic check out >this< video... or Google "flojet pump espresso machine" - You can find the flojet at a number of retailers as well as >on Amazon<.
Missed your PM - DOH! Responded - Thanks!
I got my bwt filter and JG accessories. For starters the product picture of the bwt is on a white background and with the smallest filter and I had no sense of scale. When the box got here I couldn't BELIEVE the size of the medium filter. I wondered how it could filter better with one filter then my drinking water with 2 two filters, that question was answered when I realized it's 5 times the size of my two filters combined :lol:

Anyway, I didn't buy the pressure regulator because my cheapo gauge was indicating 21 PSI through a 1/4" the source of the long conversation above, so lowering pressure obviously not necessary. Hooked everything up with 3/8 straight to the machine. If I understand the pressure gauge correctly with direct plumbing it should reflect the line pressure on the bottom? It's showing as 3 bar, about 43psi. So either I don't understand how the Bianca gauge works, or the dinky 1/4" gauge I used in the first place was underestimating my pressure!

Don Task

#996: Post by Don Task »

clearlynotstefan wrote:I got my bwt filter and JG accessories. For starters the product picture of the bwt is on a white background and with the smallest filter and I had no sense of scale. When the box got here I couldn't BELIEVE the size of the medium filter. I wondered how it could filter better with one filter then my drinking water with 2 two filters, that question was answered when I realized it's 5 times the size of my two filters combined :lol:
Anyway, I didn't buy the pressure regulator because my cheapo gauge was indicating 21 PSI through a 1/4" the source of the long conversation above, so lowering pressure obviously not necessary. Hooked everything up with 3/8 straight to the machine. If I understand the pressure gauge correctly with direct plumbing it should reflect the line pressure on the bottom? It's showing as 3 bar, about 43psi. So either I don't understand how the Bianca gauge works, or the dinky 1/4" gauge I used in the first place was underestimating my pressure!
First thing I would say is a variance between any two analog gauges is almost a given simply because they are analog! However... in your case the variance is pretty significant. Not knowing the age or quality or your 1/4" gauge I'd be more inclined to trust the gauge on your Bianca. Based on my experience its pretty accurate.

Here's a side by side shot of my BWT regulator and the Bianca gauge. I was surprised how close together the two readings are.

The good news is you now have a quality filtration system that will also soften the water and protect your investment. I don't blame you for hesitating to buy the BWT pressure regulator... I dragged my feet for at least two weeks (trying to find something comparable and cheaper) before finally making the purchase. I think the price is pretty steep compared to regulators offered by the competition.. but... eventually buckled and purchased it. (if interested... my regulator research follows in the spoiler below)
Spoiler: show
During my initial shopping for a regulator I narrowed it down to four units. The BWT, this one, this one and this one. But, I later found a bad review on the cheaper of the two offered by Chris and it looked suspiciously similar to the one offered by Clive so both were eliminated. So, I had it down to the Quick Mill version from Chris or the BWT from WLL. I was torn because they look like they might both have the same regulator assembly... (just use a different gauge), and the one from Chris includes a water line I could add to my collection of accessories :roll:

But... I eventually folded and went with the BWT. FYI: I did not consider the BWT Aquameter Couldn't justify it. Instead I simply calculated the softening lifespan of my filter based on number of liters passed (based on the number of shots I pull per day on average) which gave me the approximate date when it should be expiring. At this point I just made a calendar entry in my smartphone to to remind me it was time to check the filter, pull a water sample and test it using a hardness test kit.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

Espressoman007

#997: Post by Espressoman007 »

Hi,
I am a new Bianca user and this is my first DB machine. I am getting used to it, and it's not that hard to get used to it :), a lovely improvement after SB. I have a question regarding the pressure. With preinfusion off I would expect that pressure rises to the max (with profiling pedal on max) in about few sec. But that's not the case. After I open the lever nothing is happening for a long period of time, like it's wetting the puck, then pressure is starting to rise, sometimes it can happen after 20-30 sec (depending on the coffee). Since I am using the grinder with SSP unimodal flat burrs at the moment and pulling shots with light beans, I thought that might be the problem. Today I tried to pull a shot with my conical manual (big 83 mm burrs) grinder to see whether there is a difference, and to my surprise, it acted just like the unimodal flat. Couldn't rise the pressure to more than 4 bars, and that' fine (even though I wouldn't expect that with conical), but I'm really wondering why I have that sloooow ramp, as I've mentioned before, the first 20-30 sec pressure doesn't react at all. Did I miss something in the settings?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Tzuyu

#998: Post by Tzuyu »

Are you getting 9 10 bars pressure brew head?

Tzuyu

#999: Post by Tzuyu »

What basket you using and how many grams of coffee?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#1000: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Use the blind basket. Fill it with liquid to the height of the puck, and pull a shot with it. The pressure should start to ramp at about 5 seconds and hit 9 bar at about 8 to 10 seconds.

If the ramp is still slow with the blind filter, the paddle on the needle valve may be off. Take the portafilter off and run the pump. Water should be flowing out of the group until the paddle is all the way to the left. If the flow cuts off early, remove the paddle and replace it so it is full left when the flow cuts off. You can try this out even before using the blind filter. The paddle is like a water faucet, and it shouldn't turn off the flow completely until it is full left.

If that doesn't fix it, call 1st line or your vendor and have them take you through further checks on the phone.

It may also help for people to refrain from answering troubleshooting posts unless they are fairly sure of what needs to be done.
Jim Schulman