Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 99

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slybarman

#981: Post by slybarman »

IcemanT wrote:I've had my Bianca for less than a month. From day 1, the bottomless portafilter locks in snug at 6 o'clock whereas the spouted one is at 4 o'clock. Haven't changed the gasket to a cafelat silicon one, but bought the 8.5mm in anticipation of having to change it soon...
Weird. I just tried both of mine and they lock in at the same position.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#982: Post by baristainzmking replying to slybarman »

Same here, mine lock in at the exact same position.
Julia

Eiern

#983: Post by Eiern »

When I got mine with the original gasket, both portafilters didn't lock in all the way to straight down at 6 oclock, more like 6:30, with the bottomless locking in the least.

Switched to red cafelat silicone gasket and it's almost the same but I can get it a little closer. Doesn't bother me and I don't want to force it. I think it's fine as it may travel a bit after some more wear.

I would have zero chance to fit the blue gasket I also have as it's even thicker.

slybarman

#984: Post by slybarman replying to Eiern »

Correct, it is normal for brand new gaskets not to lock in at 6:00, over time they compress and wear and will eventually lock in at 6:00 . . . then later at 5:30 and you know it is time for a new one.

Don Task

#985: Post by Don Task »

IcemanT wrote:I absolutely use a dosing funnel (got 2 of them actually) i got the decent knockoff and the baristaspace one (this one is really nice).
Both of these sit on the rim of the portafilter and do not leave an impression in the puck
Howdy Iceman... wanted to thank you again for the tip... my Baristapace dosing funnel arrived today. Very nice! The magnets hold it solidly in place and as you say it sits "on top" of the basket rim rather than having a sleeve that extends down into the basket leaving an impression. While I was on the website I decided what the heck and ordered the set (combo funnel and tamping station. Can't beat the price for the quality. Best part... only 12 days elapsed from order placed to delivery! Not bad considering it shipped form China!

Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

IcemanT

#986: Post by IcemanT »

Glad you liked them! I also got the base and funnel combo. Unfortunately, I received the old batch (w/o magnets), the magnetic one was just released. Enjoy! :)

Ivan_O

#987: Post by Ivan_O »

Hi all,

Great thread. One question to experts out there: I have just cleaned my Lelit Bianca machine & changed water filter. When changing filter I forgot somehow (don't ask how) to put filter 3 min in the water to kick out air bubbles as per instructions. When I put it back - I heard but of a strange sound but nothing alarming (water was still coming out). I realized I screwed up so re did water dissolving & setting filter - now looks fine more less (bit of a sound but going away). In the instructions for changing water filter they say that air bubbles can cause malfunctioning of the machine. How would I know if it is malfunctioning & is it really so sensitive? For sure I will not repeat it again.

Thanks a lot!

Don Task

#988: Post by Don Task »

Ivan_O wrote:Hi all,
Great thread. One question to experts out there: I have just cleaned my Lelit Bianca machine & changed water filter. When changing filter I forgot somehow (don't ask how) to put filter 3 min in the water to kick out air bubbles as per instructions. When I put it back - I heard but of a strange sound but nothing alarming (water was still coming out). I realized I screwed up so re did water dissolving & setting filter - now looks fine more less (bit of a sound but going away). In the instructions for changing water filter they say that air bubbles can cause malfunctioning of the machine. How would I know if it is malfunctioning & is it really so sensitive? For sure I will not repeat it again.

Thanks a lot!
Since you mentioned "putting the filter in water" I'm assuming you are using Biancas reservoir tank with filter. The strange sound you heard was the pump cavitating as air in the filter system entered the pump. The sound Its caused by the imploding and/or collapsing of the air bubbles as they collide with the pump impellers which trigger mini shockwaves (so to speak) causing vibration inside the pump. Not to worry the Bianca might be so sensitive. Any pump in any espresso machine or even the sump pump in a persons basement will cavitate if its running and it starts sucking air. As you might guess these shockwaves, if allowed to continue, can cause damage to the impellers, pump seals etc. The good news is the amount of air you allowed in the system was not significant or nor long term enough to do any damage, but it might be best to limit future occurrences. :mrgreen:

With the machine turned on, just lift the brew handle to draw off some boiler water until you hear the pump cycle to refill the boiler. You could also open the hot water wand to draw some water off the steam boiler. Both actions will easily remove any remaining air in the lines you may have introduced. Note: In addition to the air trapped in a new filter assembly you can also introduce air into the system when you lift the suction line out to replace the filter. When removing and replacing a filter, try to limit the amount of water that drains out of the suction line. (suggestion: To limit the amount of air you might introduce you could try disconnecting the old filter and connecting the new filter all the while while keeping the free end of the suction hose just below the waters surface in the tank, or maybe placing your finger over the free end of the hose when disconnected and reconnecting to limit the amount of water that drains out.

Ivan_O

#989: Post by Ivan_O replying to Don Task »

Wow! This is so helpful. It exactly how it happened. This is my second time I am changing water filter, and I completely forgot / did not re read manual. I am glad that it does not look like it is damaged. Hopefully I would see something. Sound is now indeed back to normal & I pulled great shot. I guess if something was damaged A I will notice some problems. Thank you so much - your explanation is so helpful. If you think I should do some inspection please let me know - your guidance/ advice is highly appreciated. On the outset all looks normal. Again I am very grateful for your help!

Don Task

#990: Post by Don Task »

Ivan_O wrote: Wow! This is so helpful. It exactly how it happened. This is my second time I am changing water filter, and I completely forgot / did not re read manual. I am glad that it does not look like it is damaged. Hopefully I would see something. Sound is now indeed back to normal & I pulled great shot. I guess if something was damaged A I will notice some problems. Thank you so much - your explanation is so helpful. If you think I should do some inspection please let me know - your guidance/ advice is highly appreciated. On the outset all looks normal. Again I am very grateful for your help!
No need to open the machine up for inspection. The only thing I suggest for any new machine installation is to just take a flashlight (i.e. torch) and look under the machine from time to time looking for any small puddles of water (and hopefully not finding any) Rest assured the Bianca is a quality machine and contains a near silent, rock solid, prosumer grade pump with a Rotoflow impeller system by Fluid-O-Tech (just like those found in many commercial grade machines!) That said... if you're curious and just want to open it up to take a look under the covers... check out >this< video for disassembly instructions. The actual disassembly process starts at 2:55.