Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 98

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
slybarman

#971: Post by slybarman »

The handle looks to be stood on end using the hole for the set screw. But, to what end? Seems like a solution in search of a problem. The range of the paddle as provided from the factory seems to work just fine.

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#972: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

On the Bianca, the original E61 preinfusion spring has been stiffened so far, it mostly doesn't do anything. So the needle valve does all the flow control work. This means, interestingly, if you want to "emulate" the slam bang machines from the 90s (Espresso machine companies seem to have reduced dwell times from the 60s to 90s, then brought them back up in the last two decades), you can turn the needle valve all the way up and get a massive water debit with no restrictions. The shot will be flowing in 2 seconds flat (if it doesn't just choke) and you can party like it's 1999.

Not really advisable with anything they roast today; but it's fun to try on occasion.

In any case, I just keep the paddle's set screw loose, so I can do this when I feel like it
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
slybarman

#973: Post by slybarman replying to another_jim »

That's pretty much what I was picturing. I couldn't see needing my shots to flow any faster.

Nahal

#974: Post by Nahal »

slybarman wrote:The handle looks to be stood on end using the hole for the set screw. But, to what end? Seems like a solution in search of a problem. The range of the paddle as provided from the factory seems to work just fine.
Taking Jim's video as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mf0srd57A8

Why wasn't the pressure dropping any lower and wasn't as responsive? It seems to me the lowest pressure it can go to in that shot probably not lower than 5 bars. Won't having more control range (360 degrees like the ECM) help with this ?

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#975: Post by baristainzmking »

Recently, I noticed my portafilter started to lock-in further and further to the right, 4:00 o'clock position. The other day I did the regularly scheduled backflusing with detergent, dropped the shower screen and replaced a gasket. I used the 8.5mm cafelat gasket, as the 8mm red one was not thick enough, the portafilter still kept locking too far to the right. The portafilter now fits nice and snug and is not quite at the 6:00 O'clock position yet, more like 6:30. What's the trouble you ask, well, I get spritzers and gushers like never before. You would think it's my first time pulling a shot. Any idea what's gives?
Julia

slybarman

#976: Post by slybarman »

Nahal wrote:Taking Jim's video as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mf0srd57A8

Why wasn't the pressure dropping any lower and wasn't as responsive? It seems to me the lowest pressure it can go to in that shot probably not lower than 5 bars. Won't having more control range (360 degrees like the ECM) help with this ?
I'm not clear what part of that video you are specifically referring to, but most likely you are talking about the nuance of pressure versus flow. JakeG (I think that's who it was) posted s thread recently describing the difference/interaction between the two. If the Bianca paddle is calibrated to no-flow when all the way left, I find it gives plenty of range to work with over the available travel. From what I have read from people with the ECM handles, they tend to find themselves working in an even smaller range of travel than the Bianca's.

slybarman

#977: Post by slybarman »

baristainzmking wrote:Recently, I noticed my portafilter started to lock-in further and further to the right, 4:00 o'clock position. The other day I did the regularly scheduled backflusing with detergent, dropped the shower screen and replaced a gasket. I used the 8.5mm cafelat gasket, as the 8mm red one was not thick enough, the portafilter still kept locking too far to the right. The portafilter now fits nice and snug and is not quite at the 6:00 O'clock position yet, more like 6:30. What's the trouble you ask, well, I get spritzers and gushers like never before. You would think it's my first time pulling a shot. Any idea what's gives?
You are the second or maybe third person that said the red silicone gasket wasn't thick enough. For whatever reason I use the red one and my porta locks in right at 6 o'clock with it. Confusing why there would be any difference. Are you confident yours was fully seated?

Advertisement
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#978: Post by baristainzmking replying to slybarman »

I had a red one in before and tried it again and it was just too lose and locking in past 6:00 o'clock with a new red gasket. And yes, the blue one is fully seated in and in place.
Julia

slybarman

#979: Post by slybarman replying to baristainzmking »

Hard to picture why the shots would change. Only thing I can think of is the head space changed some, but that is grasping at straws. Hopefully someone else will have a better suggestion

IcemanT

#980: Post by IcemanT »

I've had my Bianca for less than a month. From day 1, the bottomless portafilter locks in snug at 6 o'clock whereas the spouted one is at 4 o'clock. Haven't changed the gasket to a cafelat silicon one, but bought the 8.5mm in anticipation of having to change it soon...