Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 92

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bluenoser

#911: Post by Bluenoser »

slybarman wrote:Just don't watch fat piggish Americans like James Hoffman or various world barista champions from Australia, New Zealand and elsewhere. You will be disgusted by their uncommon overstuffed American 18g doses.

/sarcasm
Grin.. wow.. did you ever miss the point of my post.. .. BTW, I don't believe James Hoffmann has immigrated ... To those starting out, it is not always obvious why the baskets are 14-16g.. Sometimes, as on my first Delonghi they are 12g doubles. You somehow mistook that as some type of recommendation on my part for a smaller dose..

slybarman

#912: Post by slybarman replying to Bluenoser »

I 100% got the point of your post, I was speaking to the original post of the &*^% you quoted in your post who failed to take notice of some trends in the industry and decided to go on an anti-american rant instead. All good.

Advertisement
Eiern

#913: Post by Eiern »

But there IS a point where a deeper coffee puck (or bed in filter brews) won't let you extract very well. I think Scott Rao recently stated that 18g might be the upper limit and above that you might have issues.

Depends on how you like your coffee, and what kind of roast level and beans used I bet. As a guy that pulls very light roasts I have indeed experience how going down a gram and grinding a tad finer can help with extractions.

I'm going to start out by using 18g in my 20g VST when I get my Bianca (ordered mid may and still haven't landed in Norway). Used to do 19g in the 20g VST with my previous ECM E61.

LatteDaddy

#914: Post by LatteDaddy »

I have a question about the water softener:

Am I correct in understanding that once the provided softener passes 35L of water, it needs to be replaced? Is it possible to recharge the softener without replacing it? This is my first time with a water softener so I'm unfamiliar with how to maintain it properly.

brentvdg

#915: Post by brentvdg »

Well this exact problem happened to me yesterday. The tee literally broke/crumbled almost inside each of the three tubes it was connecting. I was able to get a barbed nylon .25 tee from Lowes that seems to be working ok so far. There are two of these that I can see. The one that broke on me was the one on the side of the steam boiler. I don't know that the part from Lowes would fit in the other location without modifying the tubing. This stock plastic part really looks like a cut corner IMO. I'd like to source a brass version. They only touch waste water that ends up in the drip tray, so no big deal on lead content (if you care about such things).

darwin ngo wrote:Hey all! I used to be a browser back in December before I decided to pick up a Bianca after reading this thread. I recently had some leaking issues and google brought me back here. The plastic tee is indeed cracked, does anyone know where I can pick up the brass replacement? Or if there's an equal one at Home Depot?

Don Task

#916: Post by Don Task »

LatteDaddy wrote:I have a question about the water softener:

Am I correct in understanding that once the provided softener passes 35L of water, it needs to be replaced? Is it possible to recharge the softener without replacing it? This is my first time with a water softener so I'm unfamiliar with how to maintain it properly.
Replacing or recharging the filter every 35L or more... will actually depend on the type of softening device you are using and how many shots per day you pull. The softeners that go in the machine tank like the Lelit MC747 or the Ascaso In Tank Water Softener / Particle Filter can be recharged.

The good news... maintaining a water softener for your espresso machine is not difficult. Unlike whole house water softening systems that have rechargeable systems (e.g. salt reservoirs)... most home coffee / espresso machine water softening systems are typically small, resin filled filter canisters, in the tank or mounted in cabinets or under sinks where access or space doesn't lend itself to a larger system. This style typically needs to be replace once expended. That's not to say rechargeable under sink systems systems aren't available but some can be rather expensive with installation and take up way more space than most people are willing to give up.

Yikes - :shock:

For under sink replaceable filters, companies (like BWT) make a a device they call the BWT Aquameter with LCD Display that tracks the total volume of water in gallons that have passed through the filter to let you know when it needs replacing based on your specific hardness. However... rather than a fancy flow meter that requires batteries or that you have to check from time to time... you can just as easily (and much cheaper) use the filter manufacturers specifications for the filter you select and calculate the softening life span of the filter. Then enter the date in your smart phone calendar telling you when its time to replace the filter. More good news... there are plenty of disposable water softening filters on the market with some being far less expensive than others. Over the years I've paid as high as $150 per filter (BWT ouch!) and as low as $23 (Omnipure QWS Water Softener). The photo below shows a single filter softening system by QWS but you may need a system with two or three filters. It all depends on what you may want to remove from your water in addition to hardness... (e.g. odor, chlorine, sand, bacteria, pollutants etc)
<(least expensive not counting the small in tank filter versions)
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

shredkeenan

#917: Post by shredkeenan »

LatteDaddy wrote:I have a question about the water softener:

It can be recharged over and over. I do mine every 3 weeks. They recommend you replace the filter once a year to avoid mold growth inside the filter. Instructions here:

https://www.1st-line.com/technical-sup ... reservoir/

Advertisement
LatteDaddy

#918: Post by LatteDaddy replying to shredkeenan »

Thank you!!!

billgiannelli

#919: Post by billgiannelli »

did I read somewhere that the Bianca steam wand is teflon coated inside and the tip has a single outlet hole?
And that this doesn't make for the best steam for milk? might the wand be able to be swapped out for something better?
thanks
Bill

shotwell

#920: Post by shotwell »

The Bianca comes with two different size two hole steam tips. It does have an internal sleeve as part of the no burn wand. That sleeve means that the steam is not as dry as possible, but I've read it can be removed. I haven't felt the need to do so; I'm producing better milk texture than I can get at most local cafes with it. I'd call the results excellent with either tip.