Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 84

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jrham12

#831: Post by jrham12 »

baristainzmking wrote:Pour over or aeropress?
Lol, both! For the time being, I'm using a V60 in the morning and even bought a new Brim kettle to improve the workflow a bit. I also pre-grind a few doses to take to work with me where I use aeropress...

I had considered calling them back and subbing in a different machine and then adding the profitec / ecm flow control but I really want the ability to put the reservoir on the side of the machine so I'm holding out for the Bianca! And I really like the fact that the Bianca comes with a bottomless without having to buy one separately.

I just have to be patient which unfortunately is not one of my strengths! :)

Josh

JaylewAF11

#832: Post by JaylewAF11 »

Hello Bianca users! I've been a long time HB lurker, but since I upgraded to a Bianca last month I've been trying to figure out how to maximize the profiling capes of this awesome machine and could use some guidance. I actually didn't really pick the Bianca for the profiling...I was planning on getting an ECM Synchronika but then realized it was too big to fit my espresso/coffee station. To be honest, the Bianca doesn't really fit the cart well either but it works and I can't make myself get rid of the station as it was handmade for me by my grandfather.

Anyway, I've been fooling around with the pressure profiling and have been really impressed with how much of difference it can make on the shot flavor, especially compared to the Breville Infuser I had been using for 5+ years. The hard part for me is figuring what specific changes in profiling affect which specific flavors of the shot. Does anybody know of an easy to use guide/reference for this? Specific to the Bianca would be nice, but not necessary. I did find this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lNz2rL5l8) that's been somewhat helpful..the charts are a super nice reference, even if they aren't for a Bianca. But I'm not sure what HB's opinion on this is. I know Bella Barista provides a user guide for Bianca profiling to their customers, but alas they don't sell them to non customers...which I find to be mildly frustrating. Regardless, I know that taste is ultimate determinant of profile, but getting creative with things to try is where I struggle. I have been slowly working through the 800+ posts on this thread to get some ideas...but it's a journey. :)

another_jim
Team HB

#833: Post by another_jim »

The basics are easy:

1) You are extracting during the preinfusion, since the puck is soaking and transferring solubles to the water. Think of it like a French Press steeping coffee at that point. Once the flow starts, it becomes a percolation process, like any drip filter. So the longer the preinfusion or flow parts of the shot, the more extracted the taste. Since the acids and bitters extract more quickly, and the heavier mouthfeel and caramel molecules more slowly, an underextracted will have thin mouthfeel and an aggressive taste, and an overextracted shot thick mouthfeel and a weak taste. The exact measure of extraction that produces a good balance depends on the coffee and your taste preferences.

2) On a conventional machine, your only useful control over extraction is to vary from finer grinds and lower doses for higher extractions to coarser grinds and higher doses for lower extractions. On a lever or profiling machine, you can also vary the length of the shot. You can do a very long shot with fairly coarse grinds for instance, and still get a high extraction. I don't know if these new possibilities have systematic taste correlates; I doubt they do. But with difficult coffees, it gives extra options. A particular observation: longer shots with coarser grinds can sometimes erase taste defects in naturals, like if you get a very fermented Sidamo that smells too good to throw out.
Jim Schulman

slybarman

#834: Post by slybarman »

JaylewAF11 wrote:Hello Bianca users! I've been a long time HB lurker, but since I upgraded to a Bianca last month I've been trying to figure out how to maximize the profiling capes of this awesome machine and could use some guidance. I actually didn't really pick the Bianca for the profiling...I was planning on getting an ECM Synchronika but then realized it was too big to fit my espresso/coffee station. To be honest, the Bianca doesn't really fit the cart well either but it works and I can't make myself get rid of the station as it was handmade for me by my grandfather.

Anyway, I've been fooling around with the pressure profiling and have been really impressed with how much of difference it can make on the shot flavor, especially compared to the Breville Infuser I had been using for 5+ years. The hard part for me is figuring what specific changes in profiling affect which specific flavors of the shot. Does anybody know of an easy to use guide/reference for this? Specific to the Bianca would be nice, but not necessary. I did find this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8lNz2rL5l8) that's been somewhat helpful..the charts are a super nice reference, even if they aren't for a Bianca. But I'm not sure what HB's opinion on this is. I know Bella Barista provides a user guide for Bianca profiling to their customers, but alas they don't sell them to non customers...which I find to be mildly frustrating. Regardless, I know that taste is ultimate determinant of profile, but getting creative with things to try is where I struggle. I have been slowly working through the 800+ posts on this thread to get some ideas...but it's a journey. :)
See the Dalla Corte guide I posted at post #587. I thought it was helpful.

thusband

#835: Post by thusband » replying to slybarman »

Is there a quick way to get to post #587 without clicking "previous" multiple times?

kidloco

#836: Post by kidloco »

slybarman wrote:Link to Della Corte's guide to profiling based on different roast types, age, etc. Posted by WLL.

http://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=v ... 2Brate.pdf

JaylewAF11

#837: Post by JaylewAF11 »

Awesome! Thanks guys. Super helpful!

kidloco

#838: Post by kidloco »

No I am just thinking is this really helpful for us with Bianca...If I remember highest flow in bianca is around 6gr/sec

slybarman

#839: Post by slybarman » replying to kidloco »

it is helpful for me in terms of understanding what the general goal/profile looks like for a given situation and the reasoning behind it. I think that can be extrapolated to what we can do with our machine.

jerrymouse

#840: Post by jerrymouse »

I'm using the "medium roast" profile for most of my coffees. It's not hard to get 7ml/s from Bianca, just loosen the paddle, remove it, get back a little bit and put it back again. I have 5ml/s in the middle, 7ml/s fully open and 6ml/s on 4h.