Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 60

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jerrymouse

#591: Post by jerrymouse »

Just measure how much water passes through the head in 10 seconds in each paddle position and divide it by 10.

IMAWriter

#592: Post by IMAWriter »

Wonderful thread!
Welcome to all new members. I've read Jim's legendary "Water FAQ" prolly a half dozen times, and I can proudly say each subsequent time, I understand a bit more. I'm now up to 9% understanding!! :lol:
Seriously, it is, like Jim organized beautifully, and deserves a read or 2 from even us long time "wannabe" baristas. It cured my salty espresso issues a long while back.

I envy Bianca owners, and who knows....

slybarman

#593: Post by slybarman »

jerrymouse wrote:Just measure how much water passes through the head in 10 seconds in each paddle position and divide it by 10.
OK. Thank you.

PeteB

#594: Post by PeteB »

As a new Bianca owner, there is a lot of experimenting to be done to try and really get a handle on the capabilities of the machine. I am coming from a Rocket R58 that I'd fitted with an Eric's group-head thermometer. I found it invaluable in knowing what was going on with temperatures during an extraction.

The Bianca of course uses the same 'port' in the group-head that I had been using the thermometer in.

So I have a couple of questions.

1) Is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible to temporarily unscrew the manometer and fit Eric's thermometer in order to get a handle on what's going on with temperatures?

2) When waking up the machine from sleep mode during which time the brew boiler is idling around 70º C, on my machine it takes around 4 minutes for the set temperature to show as steady and ready to go. So short of fitting the thermometer into the group-head, my question is, has the group-head genuinely reached a stable shot-pulling temperature in that short time?
PeteB

Misiak

#595: Post by Misiak »

1) I can't see any problem with that, it's very easy to unscrew it. Just try it. I've asked lelit about the real temperature of the brewhead and they told it is very close to what LCC says. I saw a video where guy tested the water temperature comming from head and it was very stable an precise so not sure if this makes sense to do that. In my opinion monitoring brewing pressure has more benefit that see the temperature. How would you want to make profiling without pressurre gauge?

2) I would say yes, because in standby your brewhead is already heated up to 70c so the time to reach the stable brewing temperature will be pretty fast.
Lelit Bianca PL162T - Niche Zero

slybarman

#596: Post by slybarman »

I suspect you will find out that you really don't need the thermometer on this machine the way we did on the HX machines.

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#597: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

PeteB wrote: 2) When waking up the machine from sleep mode during which time the brew boiler is idling around 70º C, on my machine it takes around 4 minutes for the set temperature to show as steady and ready to go. So short of fitting the thermometer into the group-head, my question is, has the group-head genuinely reached a stable shot-pulling temperature in that short time?
If you read the reviews closely, you'll see the sleep mode is not useful, since it has a software bug: the display shows ready while the group is still too cool. Lelit nailed the ordinary start up, getting it down to 20 minutes by overheating the brew boiler in order to warm the group faster. The wake up from economy mode is actually slower than a cold start (around 25 minutes), since they do not use the overheating trick. They will probably fix this on the next generation controllers; but for current owners, the cold start is both faster and more accurate than using economy mode.
Jim Schulman

PeteB

#598: Post by PeteB »

slybarman wrote:I suspect you will find out that you really don't need the thermometer on this machine the way we did on the HX machines.
And therein lies the rub... I haven't found out yet and thought the use of Eric's thermometer could satisfy my curiosity. :)
PeteB

PeteB

#599: Post by PeteB »

another_jim wrote:If you read the reviews closely, you'll see the sleep mode is not useful, since it has a software bug...
Ah, now that's interesting. Thanks Jim. There are reviews out there I obviously haven't come across.

I couldn't see how the group-head could possibly rise in temperature 25-odd degrees to a stable temperature in only a matter of minutes.
PeteB

PeteB

#600: Post by PeteB »

Has anybody actually removed and then replaced the group-head manometer? Still interested in any comments before I go ahead.
PeteB