Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 54

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#531: Post by Jake_G »

Generally hex keys are sized according to their well, size. :lol:

What I mean is that the L handle is long enough that you can snug the set screw up tight enough just by using it and enough pressure to start to deflect the wrench. So, snug it till the set screw stops turning "finger tight" and then push on the end of the handle with your thumb a bit. That's it! I sometimes put a little tension on the wrench with my index and middle finger while I push with my thumb.
Here is a photo of me using a hex wrench for reference:

As I took that picture, I realized I am just as likely to invert my technique, pulling with my fingers on the tip of the hex key while I brace the part that goes into the screw with my thumb:

Which method I use is all about ergonomics and which is more comfortable given the orientation of the hex key and the object I'm working on. You can see in each photo that the tip of my thumb is a bit white from the pressure I'm applying. I don't apply any more pressure than is necessary for the hex key to gently deflect. It's finger tip motion, not biceps!

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

slybarman

#532: Post by slybarman »

baristainzmking wrote:Not necessarily. My cousin has his Quick Mill Vetrano plumbed in and not out for the last 6 years without any issues.
I'm sure most people never have a problem, but it only takes once forgetting to put the brew lever all the way down and the timer kicking on to power up the machine.

I would have to forgo the timer in that circumstance and I really like using the timer.

And really if you are plumbed in you are getting line pressure all the time, so I suppose the machine doesn't even have to come on to get a flow if the handle is part way up.

pcrussell50

#533: Post by pcrussell50 »

baristainzmking wrote:How would a round knob help?
With a knob, there would be no limits on how far you could turn your needle valve. You would never have to shift splines like you have already, to accommodate the limited sweep available with a paddle. There are cases In the flow profiling community where some people want flow rates as high as 8-12ml/s. With the Bianca valve splined so the paddle shuts it off in the closed position, does it go all the way to 8ml/s in the open position? If not, a knob would give you that extra travel to reach your desired flow rates.

No reason you couldn't have a fancy wood trim for it either.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#534: Post by baristainzmking »

baristainzmking wrote:Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I found the zero point where the flow stops. I had to go to the round 2. Now to find what I did with the little Allen wrench...
I get that, but why do you recommend the round knob over the paddle???
Julia

slybarman

#535: Post by slybarman replying to baristainzmking »

Greater travel, greater range of adjustment.

pcrussell50

#536: Post by pcrussell50 replying to slybarman »

This^^^

Plus having played with both, I think a round knob that you can grasp between thumb and first three fingers gives more fine motor control if that degree of control matters to you. It does to me. I sometimes (frequently) make fine adjustments during the pull to accommodate faster or slower flow than I had anticipated.

Paddles seem to best suited to switching between fixed positions, like "off" "low" "high". As with Slayer. That kind of thing.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#537: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

It takes roughly three full turns to get the Bianca's needle valve to full open. But the relation of flow to this valve's opening is very non-linear, so that you get 0 to 8 mls/sec in the regular paddle's half turn from left to right, and get from 8 to 15 in the next 2 1/2 turns. You would do a lot of twiddling to use the full range.

And now a question, put as politely as I can, to those who think a knob is a good idea. Why?

The flow rate has no bearing at all on the shot when it starts flowing, It only has bearing in how fast the puck soaks and ramps up to full pressure. If I want to do a long, 25 second preinfusion at 3 bar, what conceivable difference to the taste will it make if you get to from 0 to 3 bar in 3 seconds rather than 5? I can tell you this with 99.9% certainty -- none whatsoever.

Now, if I I get a dark coffee in, want to party like its 1999, and do a shot with an overstuffed coarse ground basket and no preinfusion at all. I lift the paddle (gasp, I've left the retaining screw loose) and turn the valve all the way up. That gets the pressure ramped up and the shot dripping in 3 seconds flat (remember they stiffened the preinfusion spring for this model).

If I were to go back and forth between this stule shot and long P/I, fine ground shots several times a day, a knob might make sense. But otherwise I just don't get it.
Jim Schulman

pcrussell50

#538: Post by pcrussell50 »

You have just described how I use my flow control machine: 0-8ml/s, 99% of the time. "Party like it's 1999", on rare occasion. Only I have a knob that I don't have to re index, easy though it may be to do if you leave the screw out of a paddle.

Getting back to Julia... assuming she needed to re-index her paddle because of the needle and seat wearing into their initial relationship, will he still have the full 0-8ml/s range of flow?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

badgerbimmer

#539: Post by badgerbimmer »

baristainzmking wrote:Hi guys,

I have a problem. My paddle is no longer shutting off the flow to the puck. Turned all the way to the left, the pressure is rising as if there is no restriction on the flow.

I just sent an email to the vendor, but is this something that I can fix?
You should watch this video, I think you will find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... XpobQ5tud0

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#540: Post by baristainzmking »

Hi guys,

I am just circling back to say Thank You for all your help, knowledge and willingness to share. I have reset the paddle and now fully to the left is fully closed and fully to the right is fully open. :D
Julia