Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 53

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#521: Post by Jake_G »

baristainzmking wrote:Hi guys,

I have a problem. My paddle is no longer shutting off the flow to the puck. Turned all the way to the left, the pressure is rising as if there is no restriction on the flow.

I just sent an email to the vendor, but is this something that I can fix?
Loosen the set screw and remove the paddle. You can then adjust the paddle one spline towards the right to "recalibrate" so you can set the flow to zero again. You can fiddle with the set screw loose and try a couple different positions before tightening it up again. It is not unlike the process of calibrating the Niche Zero, it's just that there is a set screw and splines involved.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

pcrussell50

#522: Post by pcrussell50 »

This ^^^

And I would take that philosophy one step further... If I had a Bianca, I would try VERY hard to find a round knob that matches the spline pitch of the valve... And use that instead of the paddle.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#523: Post by baristainzmking »

Jake_G wrote:Loosen the set screw and remove the paddle. You can then adjust the paddle one spline towards the right to "recalibrate" so you can set the flow to zero again. You can fiddle with the set screw loose and try a couple different positions before tightening it up again. It is not unlike the process of calibrating the Niche Zero, it's just that there is a set screw and splines involved.

Cheers!

- Jake
Just did what you suggested, loosened the screw, removed the paddle. Not sure what 1 spindle to the right is, but I tired different positions. Nothing I tried worked so far. Still free flowing.
Julia

Jake_G
Team HB

#524: Post by Jake_G »

That is odd...

You were able to stop the flow before?

The shaft has splines on it and the paddle has an insert that aligns with these splines. The idea is to reposition the paddle on the shaft such that you can stop the flow before the paddle fouls on the group.

Round two would be to move the paddle all the way to the left, then pull it straight off.. Then put the paddle back on the shaft with it pointing to the right. Snug the set screw lightly and swing the paddle to the left (gently, don't force anything) and see if the flow stops or at least slows down. If the flow does stop, loosen the set screw, remove the paddle and then put the paddle back on the shaft facing to the left. This process, however mundane it sounds, should get you calibrated as long as the issue is between the needle and the seat.

There is another alternative that is worse but not insurmountable that is the possibility the seat has loosened from the group internally. If this has happened, the group will weep water even if the needle has seated snugly in the seat and the shaft won't turn clockwise any more. I had this issue when I first installed the needle valve in my Rancilio S20. I ended up needing an O-ring between the my needle valve and the group body to stop the flow. The seat for the needle valve in Bianca should seal up ok on it's own but it is certainly feasible that it could have wiggled loose.

Try several iterations of locating the paddle on the group before thinking too hard about pulling the top nut off the group. I am confident Jim will take good care of you.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#525: Post by baristainzmking »

pcrussell50 wrote:This ^^^

And I would take that philosophy one step further... If I had a Bianca, I would try VERY hard to find a round knob that matches the spline pitch of the valve... And use that instead of the paddle.

-Peter
How would a round knob help?
Julia

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#526: Post by baristainzmking »

Maybe I am misunderstanding what turning 1 spindle means.
Julia

Jake_G
Team HB

#527: Post by Jake_G replying to baristainzmking »

Check my reply above.
LMWDP #704

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#528: Post by baristainzmking »

Jake_G wrote:That is odd...

You were able to stop the flow before?

The shaft has splines on it and the paddle has an insert that aligns with these splines. The idea is to reposition the paddle on the shaft such that you can stop the flow before the paddle fouls on the group.

Round two would be to move the paddle all the way to the left, then pull it straight off.. Then put the paddle back on the shaft with it pointing to the right. Snug the set screw lightly and swing the paddle to the left (gently, don't force anything) and see if the flow stops or at least slows down. If the flow does stop, loosen the set screw, remove the paddle and then put the paddle back on the shaft facing to the left. This process, however mundane it sounds, should get you calibrated as long as the issue is between the needle and the seat.

There is another alternative that is worse but not insurmountable that is the possibility the seat has loosened from the group internally. If this has happened, the group will weep water even if the needle has seated snugly in the seat and the shaft won't turn clockwise any more. I had this issue when I first installed the needle valve in my Rancilio S20. I ended up needing an O-ring between the my needle valve and the group body to stop the flow. The seat for the needle valve in Bianca should seal up ok on it's own but it is certainly feasible that it could have wiggled loose.

Try several iterations of locating the paddle on the group before thinking too hard about pulling the top nut off the group. I am confident Jim will take good care of you.

Cheers!

- Jake
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I found the zero point where the flow stops. I had to go to the round 2. Now to find what I did with the little Allen wrench...
Julia

Jake_G
Team HB

#529: Post by Jake_G »

Glad you got it sorted.

Odd that it happened, though.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#530: Post by baristainzmking »

Really odd. I hope there is nothing really wrong. I still can't find the little ranch, so will have to pick a new one up tomorrow. Any tips on tightening it up? I am afraid to over tighten and to nit tighten enough. I am NOT very handy. Lol
Julia