Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 35

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 15, 2019, 3:35 am

Eliz wrote:the lighter it gets the finer you need to grind and a good grinder will make a difference, what are you using?

Hello guysbord, I just bought the atom 65 by eureka. Great grinder. I am trying spectrum now and quite light but delicious. I am getting a nice shot after 20 tries. Those are on the lighter roast.

How many grams in and out and do you use the preinfusion with that roast?

I just ordered some beans from the one you recommended. It is expensive for the Panama

Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 15, 2019, 3:37 am

a very special bean from Nicaragua, a Pacamará Ambar natural process reserve

I just ordered some of those beans. How do you pull a good shot on it? I will be getting them by the end of the week !

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 5:27 pm

Let us know what you find ... it's a bit like the irresistable force and unmovable stone ... Pacamaras are light bodied, acidic, and squeaky clean, so a finer than usual grind and hotter than usual brew temp would be right; but naturals are heavy bodied, low acid, and sightly fermented, so that coarser grinds and lower temperatures are usually right. Start in the middle and see what gives?
Jim Schulman

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Apr 15, 2019, 5:48 pm

I had the pleasure of seeing a Bianca at the SCA EXPO this weekend. But the woman showing me the machine insisted that there was no internal boiler. She pulled me a shot and bragged that it was 40 seconds as a result of the profile used. It must have been a post 2C bean, because it tasted like liquid carbon. :mrgreen:

But it is a nice looking machine. I would like to have played with it with some quality coffee.

Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 15, 2019, 7:53 pm

another_jim wrote:Let us know what you find ... it's a bit like the irresistable force and unmovable stone ... Pacamaras are light bodied, acidic, and squeaky clean, so a finer than usual grind and hotter than usual brew temp would be right; but naturals are heavy bodied, low acid, and sightly fermented, so that coarser grinds and lower temperatures are usually right. Start in the middle and see what gives?

Thanks Jim for the info. I will start at the middle and see how it goes. Can't wait to get them.

Another question: how many grams do you use on the naked portifilter? So for the pacamara, I am not going to use the preinfusion. I am just going to get 35grams out. Sounds about right ?

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 8:00 pm

15 grams in double baskets that are pretty much identical to the one Lelit ships (they're a matched pair, good for comparisons). Up to 18 for a coarse grind or down to 12 for a Turkish grind. Don't usually weight the shot, but stop after the flow goes pale to completely transparent instead.
Jim Schulman

Eliz

Postby Eliz » replying to another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 8:05 pm

Stop when it goes transparent?! Really?! I did not think that is possible. Is it because it is a lighter roast? That would be interesting to see. I will let you know when I try that. Thank you Jim.

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 8:07 pm

Slow down the flow towards the end, and it'll be easy to see.
Jim Schulman

guydebord

Postby guydebord » Apr 15, 2019, 11:13 pm

Eliz wrote:a very special bean from Nicaragua, a Pacamará Ambar natural process reserve

I just ordered some of those beans. How do you pull a good shot on it? I will be getting them by the end of the week !

Jim's advice is right on point, Pacamará beans are very unique and perhaps will challenge your skill and taste buds like few can but once you pull it is super rewarding. I opened up this thread where I show how I started on recommendation of the roaster: Another NYC light roast: Nicaragua Pacamará Ambar
I have tried various temperatures and grind sizes and once I fixed the grind (very fine but not Turkish) what has made a bigger difference is the dosing and yield. Im right now dosing 17gr and cutting it short at 30-32grams, never exceeding 6bar pressure making sure that it takes between 25-30sec after the first drop.

Also, dont forget to rest the beans for at least 7 days after roast, I waited 12 for mine. I find that Ambar/fermented process light roasts benefit more from a longer resting time.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Eliz

Postby Eliz » Apr 16, 2019, 2:27 am

guydebord wrote:Jim's advice is right on point, Pacamará beans are very unique and perhaps will challenge your skill and taste buds like few can but once you pull it is super rewarding. I opened up this thread where I show how I started on recommendation of the roaster: Another NYC light roast: Nicaragua Pacamará Ambar
I have tried various temperatures and grind sizes and once I fixed the grind (very fine but not Turkish) what has made a bigger difference is the dosing and yield. Im right now dosing 17gr and cutting it short at 30-32grams, never exceeding 6bar pressure making sure that it takes between 25-30sec after the first drop.

Also, dont forget to rest the beans for at least 7 days after roast, I waited 12 for mine. I find that Ambar/fermented process light roasts benefit more from a longer resting time.

7 days I could wait. It takes 3-4 days to ship to me. I am going to do the graph from your other thread. Thank you.