Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 28

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JayBeck

#271: Post by JayBeck » Mar 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

wesleynance wrote:Most of the time I am sticking with some version of the following:

16g dose, distribution tool, tamp, 18g VST basket

Start wide open paddle, as soon as there is pressure at 2bar, close paddle to about 8 or 9 o'clock for preinfusion.

When puck is saturated and starts to drip, open paddle until group gauge reads 9 or 10 bar or so.

Eyeball flowrate with scale to about 1g/sec, reducing paddle as necessary to keep this ballpark flow rate.

Close paddle down for last 4-5 grams, stop extraction at 30g.

This seems to get me good quality extractions, the puck looks good, no channeling, etc., really good body on the shot with excellent distribution of flavors across the palate.
Could you take a picture of your puck after that shot and also comment on the type of coffee? Thanks!

thm655321

#272: Post by thm655321 » Mar 13, 2019, 5:36 pm

Interesting, my first part is identical. Once a few drops have fallen I move from 2 bar to 9 until 20 grams, then next 10 grams at 8, next 5 or so at 7 and final 5 or so at 6. Great shots all the time to be honest.
wesleynance wrote:Most of the time I am sticking with some version of the following:

Start wide open paddle, as soon as there is pressure at 2bar, close paddle to about 8 or 9 o'clock for preinfusion.

When puck is saturated and starts to drip, open paddle until group gauge reads 9 or 10 bar or so.

Eyeball flowrate with scale to about 1g/sec, reducing paddle as necessary to keep this ballpark flow rate.

This seems to get me good quality extractions, the puck looks good, no channeling, etc., really good body on the shot with excellent distribution of flavors across the palate.

wesleynance

#273: Post by wesleynance » Mar 13, 2019, 8:38 pm

JayBeck wrote:Could you take a picture of your puck after that shot and also comment on the type of coffee? Thanks!
I'll try to remember to take a picture of the pick tomorrow. When it's good I have a perfectly smooth puck and it knocks clean out very evenly. The shot also looks like an even extraction, beautiful color, etc.

Lately I've been mostly using Counter Culture espresso blends- Big Trouble, Hologram, etc.

wesleynance

#274: Post by wesleynance » Mar 13, 2019, 8:45 pm

thm655321 wrote:Interesting, my first part is identical. Once a few drops have fallen I move from 2 bar to 9 until 20 grams, then next 10 grams at 8, next 5 or so at 7 and final 5 or so at 6. Great shots all the time to be honest.
So 40g out. What's your coffee weight in?

You're reading the group gauge, right? Where's your paddle most often at 9bar? Mine isn't much further to the right than straight out at me. Im still trying to get used to the idea of that, realizing that a "normal" machine would be trying to push a lot more pressure through the puck.

thm655321

#275: Post by thm655321 » Mar 13, 2019, 9:32 pm

20g in a 20g VST basket.

Where the paddle sits at a particular bar depends entirely on the grind. My 9 bar is usually past half way maybe 3/4s.

robertw

#276: Post by robertw » Mar 14, 2019, 8:41 am

For me, it starts to drip before pressure reaches 2 bars. My guess is you grind quite a bit finer than mine.

I normally use 20sec program preinfusion with paddle fully open: 6 sec on and 14sec off. The 6sec on wets the puck with little or no drip. Slow down the flow during the last 1/3.

wesleynance

#277: Post by wesleynance » replying to robertw » Mar 14, 2019, 2:30 pm

I've never tried the programmable preinfusion. More possibilities...

wesleynance

#278: Post by wesleynance » Mar 14, 2019, 3:01 pm

JayBeck wrote:Could you take a picture of your puck after that shot and also comment on the type of coffee? Thanks!
Here's a picture of the puck from a decent shot of Big Trouble. Coffee was roasted on 2/8, so older than I'm used to, having a little trouble dialing it in. Getting a bitter note that tastes like the roast might be darker than I like. Hologram had been pulling great.

Anyway, 16g in, 32g out, 45 sec shot, mostly around 1g/sec once it started dripping, top pressure of around 9.5ish bar. Image

wesleynance

#279: Post by wesleynance » Mar 14, 2019, 3:03 pm

Here are the two previous shots of Big Trouble. Puck looks more or less the same. ImageImage

JayBeck

#280: Post by JayBeck » Mar 14, 2019, 5:58 pm

wesleynance wrote:Here are the two previous shots of Big Trouble. Puck looks more or less the same. <image><image>
Thanks!