Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 217

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jfjj

#2161: Post by jfjj »

Nevermind, I forgot that there was the two rings in the shaft ha.

For those you want the video link
- Jean

KiltaCoffeeCo

#2162: Post by KiltaCoffeeCo »

Hey gang.
1st post, Long Time lurker.
I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered before, but after reading hundreds of pages here while trying to decide between this or my end-game Lever, I'm too saturated to dig further. Hope u understand...
In short I'm going for the Bianca both as a place-holder, until 'the next latest-greatest' Lever comes to Market (within my budget, so no LM Leva!), and because I can get a smoking deal on a new Lelit. (I'm in India and the VAT is...high). So I'm waiting this one out before 'investing'.

I will be placing the Bianca on a new Coffee Bench that I have made, will be plumbing it in, however I cannot trust the water here and so Must Mix my own which will be made from my Distiller.
My Question: Can I utilize the Rotary Pump in the Bianca to draw water from a Storage Tank under the bench? If not, can I use the Rotary Pump to draw water that is at a higher level than the Machine??
I believe, from what I read before going into Lever-Lever Land, that the issues that I may face by not having a pressurized water source, is that I may not have the greatest PI control? Is this correct, and if so, would it be Highly Recommended to utilize a separate Pump and Accumulator Tank to feed the Bianca?
TIA for your patience and generous responses. Pls, if directing me to the Espresso Cart Thread, kindly provide a Page or Reply #. Thanks again, Bob

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#2163: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

The Bianca pump has a standard rotary pump. So it can be used to draw water from bottle under the machine, since this is how machines are operated for catering and at exhibitions.

On a standard E61, if you want to soak the puck at 2 to 3 bar, you would need a pump and accumulator to supply that level of line pressure. This is unnecessary with the Binaca, since you can operate the paddle and needle valve to soak the puck at any pressure you please for as long as you please. In essence, operating it with a water bottle under the counter is no different from operating it from the supplied tank -- the flow coontrol more than repalces any line pressure P/I arrangemnt.
Jim Schulman

KiltaCoffeeCo

#2164: Post by KiltaCoffeeCo »

Jim,
Thank you for the succinct answer! fyi I have absorbed much of your feedback through the years and want to thank you for this too!
Cheers,
Bob

boren

#2165: Post by boren »

You don't even need to use the flow control paddle for this. Just enable low-flow mode and set it to the right amount of seconds before the machine picks up to full pressure. With the basket I typically use it's around 3 bar for the first 10 seconds, which is when the puck is usually saturated (a second or two after first drops) and then goes up to 9 bar. Just make sure to adjust maximum pump pressure to 9 bar. By default the Bianca is set to 10 bar which is just silly.

Low-flow mode until the puck saturates works great, so I don't even bother with the automatic timed pre-infusion mode. If I want to bloom the puck I just do it manually with the flow control paddle.

In short, just use the water tank included with the machine and low flow mode. Keep it simple.

KiltaCoffeeCo

#2166: Post by KiltaCoffeeCo »

Thanks for the advise Boren.
To be honest though, the advise is a little confusing to me, as I don't yet have the machine to actually experiment with.
It 'seems' to me that what you're implying is that I cannot operate the machine in the manner that you're advocating, 'unless' I Only use the included Water Tank. Correct or have I misunderstood?

I stated that I intend to plumb, and that was for a number of reasons, but simplicity was not one of them 8) . Basically I just don't want to mess around any longer with dumping trays and filling tanks.
Bob

boren

#2167: Post by boren »

I assume this mode should work if the machine is plumbed in, but it's probably not needed because you can use line pressure for preinfusion.

BaristaBob

#2168: Post by BaristaBob »

boren wrote:You don't even need to use the flow control paddle for this. Just enable low-flow mode and set it to the right amount of seconds before the machine picks up to full pressure. With the basket I typically use it's around 3 bar for the first 10 seconds, which is when the puck is usually saturated (a second or two after first drops) and then goes up to 9 bar. Just make sure to adjust maximum pump pressure to 9 bar. By default the Bianca is set to 10 bar which is just silly.

Low-flow mode until the puck saturates works great, so I don't even bother with the automatic timed pre-infusion mode. If I want to bloom the puck I just do it manually with the flow control paddle.

In short, just use the water tank included with the machine and low flow mode. Keep it simple.
Hey Boren,

I been wondering about water debit (group flow rate) on the Bianca using the reservoir vs. some other machines. Machines with a high water debit suggest a finer grind for a given cup yield (in the direction of increased EY). So how low and how high a flow can the Bianca deliver?

For comparison sake my Slayer modded BDB can deliver from 1.2g/sec. to 7g/sec.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

boren

#2169: Post by boren »

The Bianca is not that far off.
Water debit in Low Flow mode: 3 ml/s with paddle fully open, 1.6 ml/s with it half-closed
Water debit in High Flow mode: 5.2 ml/s with paddle fully open, 2.5 ml/s with it half-closed
Quoted from my comment here.

KiltaCoffeeCo

#2170: Post by KiltaCoffeeCo »

boren wrote:I assume this mode should work if the machine is plumbed in, but it's probably not needed because you can use line pressure for preinfusion.
Boren that's kind of what I was seeking an answer for: I'm intending to 'plumb' the machine by utilizing the built-in Rotary Pump which will draw from a Water Storage Tank below the Machine. Part of my original question was in asking if This Configuration would Effect PI, and by extension I guess, any other pertinent functions like Low Flow.

I would 'guess' that the Line-Pressure created by the Rotary Pump would be nearly the same as normal Line Pressures (?), and then I'd also Presume that the because the Rotary Pump was in service in Either of these scenarios, Tank or Plumbed in the way I've described, that there would therefore be no difference in Any of the Functions in Question, correct? Anyway that is how I'd imagine it.

However... the only reason that I decided to inquired to about this to begin with, is that I remember reading something somewhere that Plumbing the machine changes 'things'. Upon more reflection this could have been in regards to Steaming (or even another machine?), but that even seems stranger to me... never the less I had to ask as I am setting the coffee bar up now, and actually building the Cabinet with the hope of ordering the machine when the guys I'm getting it from return from Milan this week.
TIA, Bob