Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 196

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kafou

#1951: Post by kafou »

Hi, I had done a few search about it but as the V3 is pretty new I didn't find a clear answer. I'm coming from a Silvia so no pre-infusion on this machine. For now, I'm in control of the Bianca with no pre-infusion but I want to add this parameter. From what I read, I have 3 choice, the automatic pre-infusion, the pre-infusion with the paddle and now for the V3 the pre-infusion with the low flow start. I think, that maybe the 3rd one is the way to go as it mimic the paddle for the pre-infusion but without having to find the 2bar paddle position. Also what is a good starting point for pre-infusion time? I see a lots of values from 3s to 30s....

Thanks
Steve

boren

#1952: Post by boren »

@kafou - If you're aiming to just wet the puck (until first drops), using the pedal is an option, but you'll have to keep it closed for the length of blooming (the pause between pre-infusion and main extraction). I don't personally like having the pump working during that stage, so I don't use the pedal for pre-infusion. Only to control actual flow.

The alternatives are to program pre-infusion time and blooming time. Getting the former just right is not easy if you're switching between beans, single/double baskets etc. You'd normally get a puck that's not fully wet or one that already passed more coffee than you want. I mostly use single baskets with 12 gram, so 3 or 4 seconds of pre-infusion followed by 5 seconds blooming (longer for light roasts) works fine.

Adding low-pressure mode doesn't really simplify things. It takes longer to wet the puck and I'm not convinced it actually improves anything, at least not if one is using a puck screen. Maybe it's less likely to disturb the coffee bed a puck screen isn't used.

I wonder what other Bianca V3 users are doing. Do you guys set pre-infusion to use regular pressure or low pressure mode? Do you think one is supposed to be better than the other in most cases?

nixter

#1953: Post by nixter »

Given that you need to remove the reservoir tank and holder to access the top panel, how are you able to have the machine on to see which tubes are the problem? I'm guessing your water is plumbed?
JRising wrote:
You can tell which valve is hissing by pinching the silicon tubes. When you pinch the one that's passing airflow, the hiss will stop.

thusband

#1954: Post by thusband »

nixter wrote:Given that you need to remove the reservoir tank and holder to access the top panel, how are you able to have the machine on to see which tubes are the problem? I'm guessing your water is plumbed?
You don't need to remove the tank. You'll need to remove that top screw for the tank but the tank remains. Remove all the other screws and the top comes right off.

JRising
Team HB

#1955: Post by JRising »

nixter wrote:Given that you need to remove the reservoir tank and holder to access the top panel, how are you able to have the machine on to see which tubes are the problem? I'm guessing your water is plumbed?
You can reattach the reservoir carrier after the top is off or you can leave the carrier off and just put a hose between a pitcher of water and the inlet fitting (You want to un-plug the reservoir carrier's headphone jack if you're leaving the carrier off, let the machine think it's plumbed).

nixter

#1956: Post by nixter »

So i took the top off and pinched the various hoses leading to the drip outlet. The 3bar opv was the culprit. As sson as I pinched that, the steam stopped. Im having a hard time sourcing the part in canada without a 6-8 delay. Can the part be cleaned/fixed? I took the valve apart and it's just a spring with a plate and some red plastic material in the back of the plate. I have the bits in some Descal so we'll see if that helps. I suspect it's probably the red plastic bit that's failed though I cant visually detect anything wrong with it.
JRising wrote:It also might be the vacuum breaker valve. The safety should never relieve until there's a problem.

The Lelit part number would be 9700052 for a vacuum breaker for that Bianca
https://www.1st-line.com/buy/lelit-9700052/

And yes, the vacuum breaker valve does hiss louder and louder after boiling point until steam flow is enough to close it.

You can tell which valve is hissing by pinching the silicon tubes. When you pinch the one that's passing airflow, the hiss will stop.

kafou

#1957: Post by kafou »

boren wrote:@kafou - If you're aiming to just wet the puck (until first drops), using the pedal is an option, but you'll have to keep it closed for the length of blooming (the pause between pre-infusion and main extraction). I don't personally like having the pump working during that stage, so I don't use the pedal for pre-infusion. Only to control actual flow.

The alternatives are to program pre-infusion time and blooming time. Getting the former just right is not easy if you're switching between beans, single/double baskets etc. You'd normally get a puck that's not fully wet or one that already passed more coffee than you want. I mostly use single baskets with 12 gram, so 3 or 4 seconds of pre-infusion followed by 5 seconds blooming (longer for light roasts) works fine.

Adding low-pressure mode doesn't really simplify things. It takes longer to wet the puck and I'm not convinced it actually improves anything, at least not if one is using a puck screen. Maybe it's less likely to disturb the coffee bed a puck screen isn't used.

I wonder what other Bianca V3 users are doing. Do you guys set pre-infusion to use regular pressure or low pressure mode? Do you think one is supposed to be better than the other in most cases?
That's why a ask this question, so many ways with the Bianca to pull a shot. I'm curious to know what others are doing. On Youtube, many of the Bianca workflow are done with only the paddle but maybe that was before V3 as low flow start is almost the same as the workflow with the paddle on these videos.

nixter

#1958: Post by nixter »

Just to update, I took the opv apart and soaked the bits in descal for an hour. Put everything back together and everything seems to be working! I read the following on the 1st Line site regarding the OPV.

"If this part leaks steam, it means the boiler is overheating from limescale on the PID sensor and the steam boiler gauge is over 3 bar. If leaking steam when the boiler is under 3 bar on the steam boiler gauge, then it means particles from limescale or oxidation keeping the valve open."

So my boiler was under 3bar with this issue, meaning particles from limescale or oxidation were likely keeping the valve open. I didn't see any typical white scale on the valve parts but there was some darkening which im assuming was oxidation. The descal seemed to help with this plus i scrubbed everything with Mr Clean Magic Eraser.
nixter wrote:So i took the top off and pinched the various hoses leading to the drip outlet. The 3bar opv was the culprit. As sson as I pinched that, the steam stopped. Im having a hard time sourcing the part in canada without a 6-8 delay. Can the part be cleaned/fixed? I took the valve apart and it's just a spring with a plate and some red plastic material in the back of the plate. I have the bits in some Descal so we'll see if that helps. I suspect it's probably the red plastic bit that's failed though I cant visually detect anything wrong with it.

boren

#1959: Post by boren »

I was about to post my Bianca V3 review here, but instead decided to follow the advise above (the "Time to start a new thread?" message)

There you go:

Lelit Bianca V3: Pros, Cons and ideas for V4

boren

#1960: Post by boren »

Is a wet paper towel ok to use to wipe off coffee marks from the Bianca front panel? Any risk of scratches?