Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 18

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JayBeck

#171: Post by JayBeck »

MrEd wrote:It is worth bearing in mind that the DE1 is using two pumps to mix hot and cold water, and flow is controlled via the number of pump strokes. Thus these pumps are not running at full output while pushing water for an extended period, and duty cycle calculations thus might be impacted.

I believe this specific model is a customized version made for DE, but the P500 is the basic pump model.
Correct. 2 pumps that are rarely at max power. They pulse and when reduces pressure sometimes don't run at all. However, in pourover mode they run non stop for around 3 minutes which is way beyond the standard idea that a Vibration Pump shouldn't run longer than a minute.

JayBeck

#172: Post by JayBeck »

another_jim wrote:It's interesting how people using the DE1, the Bianca, and home made flow control machines are able to take tips from each other and converging on same kinds of shots.

I think this proves variable flow/pressure machines don't depend on the particular implementation, but perform in roughly the same way. We are creating an entirely new style of espresso making.
+1 Cool new era of coffee making.

Advertisement
wesleynance

#173: Post by wesleynance replying to JayBeck »

Couldn't agree more. I've been trying to poke around the Decent threads to look for ideas, but it's hard sometimes to find profile examples in the middle of all the other posts.

Does anyone know of dedicated threads to profile examples (ie the pour over profile I described) either on HB or other fourms?

Mostly for espresso I am running a 2bar preinfusion until some drips, then ramping up pressure to 9bar (usually paddle is only straight out or so) and then gradually backing pressure off until target weight. Seems to work well, but it would be fun to try other specific profiles. I have made a note of all the profiles mentioned in this excellent thread, so thanks for those everybody!

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#174: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

FWIW, I do my pourovers in two phases, a drip, drip, drip phase, and a pour phase, in analogy to the Clever brewer, with the drip, drip, drip being a kind of steep. I do about 30 seconds of drip for an espresso grind, up to 1 minute 20 seconds for a French Press grind. As the grind gets coarser, the pressure you see on the group head gauge gets lower and lower, For French Press, it never budges above the zero. Nevertheless, you can control the flow rate with the needle valve regardless of grind coarseness or what the gauge is showing.
Jim Schulman

thm655321

#175: Post by thm655321 »

Question now that I have my machine.

I have set the pump to 10 bar through the adjustment screw on the bottom. However I have experienced the gauge on the grouphead exceeding 10 bar (over 11) during the shot. How is that possible?

Team HB

#176: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

They are mechanical gauges, and won't read identically. My group gauge reads about a 1/2 bar higher than the panel gauge at max pressure.
Jim Schulman

SEAN_NG

#177: Post by SEAN_NG »

Hi,

I am a new Bianca user, and I got the machine about 10 days back. Have been reading and researching for a few months especially here on HB.

I am getting good espresso and trying different profile suggestions from you guys, Thanks!

However, I think there is some issue with my unit and I wonder if it could be resolved. I have set my brew temp on the LCC at 94C and when I go into the LCC parameters and set the TR=1 (to show the real temp - if I get it correct, this means the boiler temp right?), the LCC display 95-97 (fluctuating). Hence, I went into the LCC parameters to check the Ec and it is showing 10 (i.e. 10C offset). Shouldn't the real temp be showing around 10C more than 94?

I am just concerned that there is some issue with machine although I am not complaining about the coffee. As I am also very new to DB machine (I upgraded from a Sage Barista Express and Flair Espresso - but it is Flair who taught me a lot on roast level, grind size, dose, brew temp etc) and I am not really sure how this could affect my espresso - and since I am now at a loss of what is the water temp that comes into contact with my puck, I am beginning to wonder if my current shots are sub-optimal? and even at this point, my shots from the Bianca taste much better than any shots from the BE or Flair, but I am just greedy that I might be missing out still?

I am new to such commercial level machine and hence I do not have the experience to measure temperature of the group head or brew water temp (e.g using a scace) but I did try to measure the brew water as it flows from the showerscreen and it is showing 87C-ish. I just hope that my machine is not faulty.

hope to hear from you guys!
thank you
S

Advertisement
Mesmer

#178: Post by Mesmer »

I think on most Gicars it won't show real temp, always hides the offset.

Basically what you're seeing is correct. The only "worry" is that it fluctuates between 95-97. Maybe this is one of the reasons Lelit is shipping with TR=0.
Hopefully it's all good and you're getting correct temperature at the group head. You would need some sort of Scace device to test properly.

Team HB

#179: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Check the bench review for testing and tweaking the PID parameters; the factory settings are not always optimal, since thermosyphon loops are finicky enough to vary from unit to unit. You should be seeing the temperature settling to your setpoint quite quickly when everything is properly tuned.
Jim Schulman

horsies

#180: Post by horsies »

Has anyone had issues with either of the wands? My Bianca's steam wand gets too hot to hold. The water wand gushes steam while it's open, causing some water to splash around. It's led to a few scaldings. Anyone else experienced this?