Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 133

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thm655321

#1321: Post by thm655321 »

Why can I find longer feet like these? Perhaps not quite this long, but similar.

Thanks.
Don Task wrote:If you didn't care for the aftermarket stainless feet... how about some nice loooong polished stainless legs? :shock:

icantroast

#1322: Post by icantroast »

On the subject of the Bianca and synchronika, I have a question. I really want the synchronika, even though the Bianca is technically a better value. My question: is the way the Bianca does preinfusion better, or just different? Also, don, AMAZING job on the black Bianca! Looks awesome. Thank you!

Don Task

#1323: Post by Don Task replying to icantroast »

In regards to either machine... as you identified, they use "different" methods to preinfuse... but one is not necessarily better than the other in terms of the espresso in the cup. The biggest difference between the two machines is manual preinfusion versus electronic programmed preinfusion. Futher complicating the difference is whether we are talking about the Syncronika with or without flow control. To simplify the difference the following explanation is comparing the Bianca to the Syncronika without flow control. (more on this later)

Where the Binaca "might" be considered better is in terms of how you will use your machine and the flexibility it offers compared to the Syncronika "without" flow control. NET: If you plan on "plumbing" your machine directly to a water line then either machine allows for pre-infusion. However... if you do not plan to plumb your machine but instead will run it off the reservoir then you only get pre-infusion with the Bianca*. The Synchronika without flow control does not offer preinfusion using the reservoir.

Here's the deal:
When plumbed into a water line... the Synchronika preinfusion process uses water line pressure, like any standard time proven E61grouphead. You simply raise the brew handle half way and the water pressure in the line will preinfuse the puck. Once your desired preinfusion time has elapsed you raise the brew handle the rest of the way up, finish pulling your shot, then lower it to stop the shot.

The Bianca offers the flexibility to preinfuse automatic or manual. As hinted to above... one benefit with the Bianca is you "can" preinfuse regardless if you are plumbed to a water line "or" using the reservoir. This is a huge benefit if you will not be plumbing your machine.

Bianca's "automatic" preinfusion is performed using the Lelit Control Center by simply programing how many seconds you want the pump to turn on for... and how many seconds you want it to turn off (to let the puck rest) before the pump comes comes back on. (Example: programed so you when you lift the brew handle all the way and the pump comes on for 5 seconds, goes off for 4 seconds... then comes back on for the remainder of the shot until you lower the handle to stop it. Some Binaca owners with plumbed machines argue the automatic process allows the puck to get hit with full line pressure at the start of the preinfusion process. (True, but only "if" the paddle is wide open. This can be avoided by simply insuring the paddle is in the approx 8 o'clock position at the start of the timed sequence then opening the paddle after the automatic preinfusion cycle)

Bianca's "manual" preinfusion process involves using the flow control paddle (no programming using the LCC) . To start, you place the flow control paddle in a reduced pressure position to control the starting pressure at the brew head then raise the brew handle all the way to turn the pump on. After the desired preinfusion time has elapsed your slowly open the flow control paddle position to raise brew pressure to the desired pressure setting and complete the shot. (Example: Start with the paddle turned to the left (8 o'clock position - approx 2 bar) Lift the handle all the way up. After 10sec at 2 bar, slowly open the flow control paddle until group head pressure reaches 9 bar for the remainder of the shot. Lower the brew handle to stop the shot.

As eluded to above and whether we are talking about a Synchronika with or without flow control... ... if you get the Synchronika "with flow control" then I would assume you "could" use a similar manual process by lifting the brew handle all the way up and using the flow control knob to preinfuse your shot even if are using a reservoir.

TIPS: Per ECM in order to effectively use line pressure with a plumbed line to you must also have a pressure regulator prior to the inlet of the machine set to a maximum of 2 bar so you don't blast the puck with full line pressure during preinfusion. Lelit also identifies the need for a inline water pressure regulator when plumbed. With both the Bianca or the Synchronika you have to lower the lever to stop the shot. Unlike other E61's, with the Bianca there is no half way "pump on" position when lifting the brew handle.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

Don Task

#1324: Post by Don Task »

thm655321 wrote:Why can I find longer feet like these? Perhaps not quite this long, but similar.

Thanks.
Unfortunately the longer legs in the photo I posted are not a readily available as an aftermarket accessory. It was the result of work done by a crafty DIY'er using cut lengths of polished stainless tubing. (Hint: a chrome polished stainless shower curtain rod cut to the desired lengths.) The tricky part would be how to fashion the feet. If adventurous... you could cut down the diameter of the stock wooden legs that come with the Binaca and slip the tubing over them then just simply replace the removable M8 metric bolt in each foot with one long enough to accommodate the length of the new legs.

Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

icantroast

#1325: Post by icantroast »

Don, thank you very much for that, you're amazing!

Heyde

#1326: Post by Heyde »

Dear Dan, could You please post a complete view of the machine with those feet, looks good ...
Thank You !
Olivier

pwhinson

#1327: Post by pwhinson »

Newbie post - I've been fascinated by this machine and flow control generally but I'm still only about 1/3 through this thread. Its clear that this machine ignited some real passion for alot of folks. I mostly make Americano's early mornings and I want kind of a standard pull at those times but I'm a tinkerer at heart and I've been thinking about upgrading from my Bezzera rebadged Livia 90 machine. I make occasional milk based drinks on weekends and if I have company I do like making cappucinos. My question actually relates to grinders. In the past it seems we've been pretty obsessed with getting the perfectly controllable grind out of our coffee in order to deliver great E61 extractions which has led to things like the Ceado E37 grinders with huge burrs at $1700. I've been using a Vario for years, have had to send it to be serviced twice so I've been thinking about keeping the Vario for a non-espresso grinder then going to a "real" high end grinder for my espressos but after reading much of this thread I'm wondering with the Bianca whether $1700 grinders are even necessary. We've gone from the grind being the primary thing we want to control, to focusing on controlling pressure/flow rate and the ability to pull good shots regardless of grind. My thinking has been that if I upgrade the machine, I'll also significantly upgrade the grinder. Does it still make sense to buy a truly high end grinder?

Jeff
Team HB

#1328: Post by Jeff »

Coffee
Water
Grinder
Prep
Machine

Any of those being "off" will limit you. Once the coffee is ground, you've sort of set an upper limit on what the few remaining steps can do. You can fail to reach that potential, but you can't get more out of it.

Are you pulling classic espresso roasts or blends? You're probably fine with or better off with a Niche Zero, "Titan conical", or old-school flat. They're said to be easier to dial in than the modern flats (P64, Ultra, Monolith, Bentwood, ...) as well as providing more of the classic espresso body and mouthfeel.

Want to chase down the hobby/rabbit hole of light roast coffees that have little, if any, classic roast flavors? You're quickly looking at grinders that are a step above the Ceado.

There's a sane, middle ground in there, depending on budget. But it's hard to hold that line.

Petyot

#1329: Post by Petyot »

Received mine today! Will play with it this weekend

kidloco

#1330: Post by kidloco »

Hello guys, a little help, I do not think that my steam/wand is working completely ok.

I was able to make perfect foam with a smaller wand tip, 175ml of milk in a 300ml pitcher. Lately, it happens more than often that I have bubbles after the very end, at the point where I already close the valve. Whatever I do, and how deep I put the wand.

It takes at least 2 seconds until I close the valve until the complete stop of the steam, it sorts of gradually stops. Can you check the video, please
check the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Hm9Rd_U4Q