Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 132

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marc O.

#1311: Post by Marc O. »

Hi all, need your help :D

First message here on this forum, so let me introduce shortly first: I'm Marc, just a bit above 50 yo, living in The Netherlands (the one in Europe) with wife and son.

Currently we have a Siemens EQ6 which has been serving us pretty well (in terms of reliability), but we feel we need to upgrade in taste. I've spent quite some time looking for the machine (and grinder) that meets our current needs, and is future proof (without the need to spend money on updating to a better machine within a year). I feel the Bianca is the perfect answer to that. And I think the looks are good too. My better half however thinks it's ugly as h*ll (primarily because of the wooden accents) and she has drawn the veto card because she doesn't "want to look at such an ugly machine for the next 15 years or so" :? I must be looking like George Clooney, because she has been looking at me for 20 years already without complaining :| Instead, she fancies a way more expensive ECM, which is going to be even more expensive after fitting the flow control valve.

Now, I really don't like to spend +1k and not get anything objectively better than just looks (which, to me, aren't even better than the Bianca's looks). So my question to you: Are there alternatives to the wooden accents? I know there is a kit available with black wooden parts, but that's more than 200,- which is a bit steep and she doesn't like them either.

Your tips are appreciated!

Advertisement
Espressoman007

#1312: Post by Espressoman007 »

Marc O. wrote:Hi all, need your help :D

First message here on this forum, so let me introduce shortly first: I'm Marc, just a bit above 50 yo, living in The Netherlands (the one in Europe) with wife and son.
Now, I really don't like to spend +1k and not get anything objectively better than just looks (which, to me, aren't even better than the Bianca's looks). So my question to you: Are there alternatives to the wooden accents? I know there is a kit available with black wooden parts, but that's more than 200,- which is a bit steep and she doesn't like them either.

Your tips are appreciated!
Lovely introducing Mr. Clooney! :)

Just give a nice layer of paint over the wooden parts and voila. You can choose matte, silky, metallic, copper or whatever look. You can even change the colour every month or so. You might discover an artist inside yourself ;)

Cheers!

Marc O.

#1313: Post by Marc O. »

Thanks Espressoman! Unfortunately I'm really totally NOT creative and probably never will be. My job is to be responsible for finance in our business and I guess some folks will get really nervous when I'm showing any signs of creativity. So, doing anything in that direction to Bianca will make the boss, sorry, my wife even more unhappy with it. :D I think if I would be able to replace the wooden parts with stainless steel - or even black plastic - ones, it will increase the chance of it being accepted. But it looks like those replacement parts simply don't exist. True?

By the way, is she the only one who doesn't like those wooden parts?

Don Task

#1314: Post by Don Task »

Marc O. wrote:{snip}...

Currently we have a Siemens EQ6 which has been serving us pretty well (in terms of reliability), but we feel we need to upgrade in taste.

... I really don't like to spend +1k and not get anything objectively better than just looks (which, to me, aren't even better than the Bianca's looks). So my question to you: Are there alternatives to the wooden accents? I know there is a kit available with black wooden parts, but that's more than 200,- which is a bit steep and she doesn't like them either.
Hmmm... I was going to suggest the Lelit Bianca Black Wood Kit
or maybe the Stainless Steel Feet... to change the way she looks but... even if the knob kit only cost 20 bucks if the wife doesn't like the way the Bianca looks then I don't think she'll like the Bianca regardless of what color the accents are or if they are wood or plastic. Be smart... make the wife happy and you'll both be happy. (truth be told... many of us married guys would be ecstatic if our wives wanted us to buy a more expensive machine. :wink: )

FYI: My Bianca is less than a year old and I love it... no regrets. I've had a lot of machines over the decades and have learned that when spending $2000 and up they all pretty much make good espresso. Above that price point the machine bells and whistles get fancier but I can't say I ever noticed a huge jump in flavor or taste as I threw more and more money into an espresso machine... that is until I got the Bianca! Wow!

That said... not to take anything away from the Bianca... but I have to say it was the "flow control feature" that made all the difference when it came to making great tasting espresso. The ability to adjust the profile and squeeze out the best taste for an individual roast is amazing. NET: Any high end machine in the Bianca price point with flow control should be able to emulate the improvement in taste you hope to experience with a new machine.

To agree with your wife I'll admit I also loved the look and quality of ECM machines. I also preferred the joystick steam and hot water controls on the ECM over the rotary knobs of the Bianca as well as the "higher" placement of the manometers on the front panel making them easier to read. But, to agree with you... I also had trouble spending more money than I had to. The Joysticks and higher manometer placement was not worth $500... know way! The Binaca clearly offered the best bang for the buck. Period. In reality, the biggest hang up for us when making the decision was we have a small kitchen and my wife did not want a huge machine taking up counter space. She was the one that actually selected the Bianca among all the models I had on my short list because it had "everything" I wanted in a machine and it had the smallest footprint she wanted. (that is... not counting the Decent DE1+ which has a ton of technology and the smallest footprint... but none of the Old World Charm which we both wanted.)

So... if your wife likes the looks of ECM ... rather than spend $300 just to get different colored knobs for a Bianca put the $300 towards a ECM with Flow Control like this and you'll have the benefit of flow control and your wife will be happy. Will the extra $300 over the price of the Bianca deliver espresso that tastes $300 better... not a chance, but at least you'll both be happy.

Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

Marc O.

#1315: Post by Marc O. »

Hi Don, appreciate your always extensive replies in this thread! In the end of your message you suggest to spend 300,- to get the Synchronika with flow control. However, overhere the Bianca is just a bit under 2000€ and that ECM is nearly 3000,-, and that's still without flow control. If the diff was only 300,- I would not doubt, but it's well above +1k. :shock:

Thnx for the links to the stainless steel feet. They look kinda OK'ish, I think. The wood kit is way too much money. No way I'm going to pay 300,- for that. Or are the wooden handles glued on the pf's and can't you take them off (which results in replacing them all together as the only option)?

Auctor

#1316: Post by Auctor »

Marc O. wrote:By the way, is she the only one who doesn't like those wooden parts?
I had a similar conversation with my wife. In the very beginning, I was a big fan of the wood accents. Felt like it brought some rustic flair to an otherwise industrial machine. When she saw the picture of the Bianca machine side by side vs the Sync, it was an easy sale, for the Sync. Ultimately my machine, my decision, so I went to see both in person. My opinion, the Bianca's wood didn't feel posh, it felt kinda meh. Compare that with the Sync's joysticks, and to my eye better overall aesthetic appeal (pressure gauges on the top vs bottom, better looking PID).

That said, it seems the Bianca is the better buy for you, by far. My price difference was $300 USD.

Don Task

#1317: Post by Don Task »

Marc O. wrote:{snip}... In the end of your message you suggest to spend 300,- to get the Synchronika with flow control. However, over here the Bianca is just a bit under 2000€ and that ECM is nearly 3000,-, and that's still without flow control. If the diff was only 300,- I would not doubt, but it's well above +1k. :shock:

The wood kit is way too much money. No way I'm going to pay 300,- for that. Or are the wooden handles glued on the pf's and can't you take them off (which results in replacing them all together as the only option)?
Hmmm... too bad about the price difference between the Bianca and the ECM where you live, thats a bummer... would have made your search and purchase decision a whole lot easier.

Yep... at first glance $300 for the Black Wood accent kit seems unreasonably high... but the high price tag is because the kit also includes "complete portafilter handles" (less baskets). You get new handles because the wood handles that come "with" the Binaca are indeed glued on. You would pretty much destroy them trying to get them off. Another option to consider instead of buying the kit, (if your wife concedes to the Bianca and if you're handy) would be to buy the Bianca, strip the finish off all the wood accents... and paint them black.
Marc O. wrote:Thnx for the links to the stainless steel feet. They look kinda OK'ish, I think.
If you didn't care for the aftermarket stainless feet... how about some nice loooong polished stainless legs? :shock:

Marc O. wrote:{snip} ... I think if I would be able to replace the wooden parts with stainless steel - or even black plastic - ones, it will increase the chance of it being accepted. But it looks like those replacement parts simply don't exist. True?
By the way, is she the only one who doesn't like those wooden parts?
You are correct. At this time I'm not aware of any aftermarket kits in plastic or otherwise. Even "if" you could find chrome or stainless steel knobs for the Bianca the added cost for the knob kit might be hard to justify and would begin to approach the price range of an ECM.

"is she the only one who doesn't like those wooden parts?" I'd say no. Many dealers and manufacturers offer aftermarket kits, wood side panels or knobs so a lot of people must like wood accents or they wouldn't be so popular. Even the popular Niche Zero Grinder is only available with natural wood accents. Personally I loved the wooden parts of the Bianca. Ironically what I wasn't a fan of was all the bling! Too many shiny metal surfaces which is why I was actually drawn to the ECM Synchronika Espresso Machine in Anthracite However... even though my wife does the finances in our house there was no way I could justify $500 over the price of the Bianca just to get a machine that wasn't all polished stainless. So... I got the Bianca and spent $35 on Amazon for some Anthracite colored automotive vinyl wrap.

Advertisement
jfjj
Supporter ♡

#1318: Post by jfjj »

Do you know if the Bianca "feet" can be replaced? If not, how tall are the feet?
- Jean

BoulderGeek

#1319: Post by BoulderGeek »

Not a Bianca, but a Lelit Mara with the same wood knobs and the Bianca profiling kit.

I didn't like the look of the OEM Lelit wooden knobs, but I liked the shape much better than the plastic ones it came with. I find the natural walnut of the profiling kit to be much better, however. So, I have left that unaltered.

I used liquid mahogany-tinted polyurethane, which I painted on. I used two coats, and it has worn pretty well for the past two years of daily use. I also did the portafilter handle and group actuation lever knob. The portafilter handle can be seen poking out of the basket in the back.

By the way, I also took inspiration from Don Task's posts on his vinyl wrap, and did the same thing to the main body panel with matte black vinyl. Great work, Don!

When I was shopping, I really wanted an ECM for the aesthetics. But, I didn't want the cost. My old Rancilio Silvia was still working fine, and $3000 for an upgrade was too much. After two years with the Mara, which was an incredibly low price, I started to look at ECMs again, without any need, but I still like the way they look. So, I appeased myself by rounding out my portafilter collection with an ECM single-spout. Now I can have the ECM look and feel on the most important human interface item, while living with a machine that works and looks as I like, for a price I am willing to pay.

Don Task

#1320: Post by Don Task »

jfjj wrote:Do you know if the Bianca "feet" can be replaced? If not, how tall are the feet?
Yep... Four feet $39.80 (plus tax and shipping) 1 3/16" (30mm) tall.