Lelit Bianca User Experience - Page 105

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Stroitel

#1041: Post by Stroitel »

Hello, coffee lovers.
I'm new here to post something but I've been reading different topics here for 2 or 3 years.
So I'm thinking of doing the next step in my home coffee equipment and replace my old Cimbali m21 Junior with a new double boiler coffee machine. Bianca seems to be the best solution in my country for the money. I've almost bought it last weekend but suddenly realized one thing.
The temperature of the brew boiler in almost all prosumer coffee machines is signically higher then actual brew temperature. In case of Bianca the offset is about +10℃ (as it's written in this thread). So we have 100+℃ in brew boiler every time we want to use the machine. If I'm drinking 2-3 drinks a day then I need to reboil all water at least 2 times a day. And repeat it day after day with reboiled water. Only way to get fresh water - drain almost all 0.8L to the tray but it's irrational...
And here's the time to my question (I've searched for an ansver but didn't find a detailed one).
Can You Guys share your experience and thoughts on this issue? Will that water affect my coffee badly or It's not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

Eiern

#1042: Post by Eiern »

I'm the guy that worries about stuff like that, and it seems to be a non issue. I came from a HX where I always got fresh water from the tank. I like the shots from Bianca more without refreshing the entire boiler every day.

I started the day by draining half a litre through the boiler on startup when I first got it, but it takes a while and I stopped doing it and doesn't notice any change. Figured that when I see over a litre disappear out of the water tank every day, I know the water is recently fresh anyways.

Try one week where you run a litre through it at the start of the day, and one week where you don't. Taste the water and the espresso. See if you notice a difference. If it sits a few days without use maybe flush it.

another_jim
Team HB

#1043: Post by another_jim »

Stroitel wrote: ... The temperature of the brew boiler in almost all prosumer coffee machines is signically higher then actual brew temperature. In case of Bianca the offset is about +10℃ (as it's written in this thread). So we have 100+℃ in brew boiler every time we want to use the machine. If I'm drinking 2-3 drinks a day then I need to reboil all water ..
The pressure in the brew boiler is 9 bar; so the water never boils, and no steam forms. It just rises and falls in temperature. There are issues of scale -- you get more at 100C than at 90C, but less than the scale issues in the steam boiler. So this is simply the same issue of water treatment that you already know from your Cimbali.

PS: welcome to HB, your English more than fine.
Jim Schulman

lelelelit

#1044: Post by lelelelit »

JJP wrote:This sounds remarkably similar to the issue I had with my Bianca which arrived at the end of July, only mine turned off after 40-45 minutes (light ring remained on, couldn't be reactivated by lifting the lever or pressing the + / - buttons, not influenced by the status of energy saving mode and required power off-on to restart). I registered the machine on the Lelit site (https://care.lelit.com) and sent a description of what was happening to Lelit technical support. They suggested that it was a problem with the gicar control card (part # 9600046). I contacted the seller in the UK who ordered a new control card and posted it on to me (at my request to avoid the hassle of returning the machine). Changing the gicar control card was extremely straightforward and my Bianca has worked perfectly since. Hope this helps.
Don Task wrote:Yep... Lelit identified that a small number of machines shipped in mid July had a software/firmware issue with the Gicar (i.e., brain unit) that manifested as the machine shutting itself off after 30 to 40 minutes. Because there is no way to update the firmware remotely both Lelit and its authorized dealers immediately made arrangements to ship out replacement Gicar units to the machines that were affected. As you indicated, changing the unit is pretty straightforward (removing a single screw that secures the unit to a bracket on the steam boiler and moving the connectors over from one unit to the other) The biggest pain is having to remove the bazillion screws needed just to get the cover off. (okay... admittedly slight less that a bazillion) :roll:
Just wanted to follow-up and confirm that replacing the Gicar board did fix this issue. I sent the info provided to my supplier and they were able to fix it for me and had it ready same day.

Have my Bianca back now and am very much enjoying making espresso again.

Thanks for those who chimed in and helped me out with this!

Don Task

#1045: Post by Don Task »

Stroitel wrote:Hello, coffee lovers.
I'm new here to post something but I've been reading different topics here for 2 or 3 years.
So I'm thinking of doing the next step in my home coffee equipment and replace my old Cimbali m21 Junior with a new double boiler coffee machine. Bianca seems to be the best solution in my country for the money. I've almost bought it last weekend but suddenly realized one thing.
The temperature of the brew boiler in almost all prosumer coffee machines is significantly higher then actual brew temperature. In case of Bianca the offset is about +10℃ (as it's written in this thread). So we have 100+℃ in brew boiler every time we want to use the machine. If I'm drinking 2-3 drinks a day then I need to reboil all water at least 2 times a day. And repeat it day after day with reboiled water. Only way to get fresh water - drain almost all 0.8L to the tray but it's irrational...
And here's the time to my question (I've searched for an ansver but didn't find a detailed one).
Can You Guys share your experience and thoughts on this issue? Will that water affect my coffee badly or It's not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.
Hello Stroitel,
Ah... the tried and true Cimbali Junior. Great machine and built like a tank! Eighteen years ago most forum members agreed the M21 would be the last home prosumer espresso machine you'd ever need to buy. However time marches on as does the technology, i.e., programmable pre-infusion, PID controllers, Flow Control, Profiling.

Anyway... as to your question..."Will that water affect my coffee badly or It's not a big deal and I shouldn't worry about it?" NET: Don't worry about it, no way is it a big deal. If it was, by now it would have been mentioned dozens of times in this forum as well as in all the various independent reviews. Personally I find the 10℃ offset in the Bianca to be a bonus as I don't have to mentally calculate or refer to a chart for the brew temp. Another beneficial consideration is knowing the brew boiler is heated separately from the steam boiler so you can set any temperature you need to get exactly the right temperature for your particular coffee. Heck, you can even shut off the steam boiler entirely if not needed to conserve energy.

Anyway... if you're still on the fence and you haven't already done so, there are two reviews anyone considering this machine should read this one and this one
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

Stroitel

#1046: Post by Stroitel »

Thanks a lot for Your feedback, folks.
I've heard (or should I say "read") all I've needed to finally make a purchase. What a relief. I can finally stop thinking about Linea Mini and 170ml Brew boiler :D that costs like 2 Biancas...
Anyway... if you're still on the fence and you haven't already done so, there are two reviews anyone considering this machine should read this one and this one
Yes, these articles are very useful and there my interest to Bianca was born :D
If everything will be OK I'll take my new coffee machine home tomorrow!
Thanks again for Your help!

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#1047: Post by baristainzmking »

Stroitel wrote:Thanks a lot for Your feedback, folks.
I've heard (or should I say "read") all I've needed to finally make a purchase. What a relief. I can finally stop thinking about Linea Mini and 170ml Brew boiler :D that costs like 2 Biancas...

Yes, these articles are very useful and there my interest to Bianca was born :D
If everything will be OK I'll take my new coffee machine home tomorrow!
Thanks again for Your help!
Congratulations, you are going to love Bianca. When I was in the process of buying a machine the other I was considering was Linea Mini and I just couldn't justify the price difference.

Nice to see a new member from Russia! :)
Julia

Aamz23

#1048: Post by Aamz23 »

Looking to get this machine, however have a few questions regarding the warm up times. How long does it take to warm up? Also is it possible to leave the machine on all day?

I often have guests who will pop in and might want a coffee, mainly milk based, however they might not stick around for 30-40mins whilst the machine heats up. What are my options?

shotwell

#1049: Post by shotwell »

18 minutes seems to be enough to be warmed up and ready to make great milk drinks.

I do leave mine on from the morning until an after dinner decaf. There's an eco mode that some people like, but the running cost has been low enough that I haven't tried it.

Aamz23

#1050: Post by Aamz23 » replying to shotwell »

Thank you so much, does it auto switch off? Or can you just leave it simply on all day? Does it hinder the longevity of the machine?