Lelit Bianca manual - excessive maintenance requirements - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
boren (original poster)

#11: Post by boren (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies.

I have to admit that I was under the false impression that puck screens prevent coffee residue from going back up into the system, and I was wrong. After a few months of just doing the occasional clear water backflush I finally went through one cycle with detergent powder (similar to Cafiza) and quite a bit of gunk was removed, so much so that the water in the drip tray was almost as dark as weak pourover coffee.

I haven't used the gasket cleaning brush at all during this time period (let alone after each shot), and the gasket looks fine and provides a perfect seal. I did use an Espazzola-like brush about once a week. I guess this is one area where puck screens (which I used for every shot since I bought the machine in July) do work to keep things clean. Hard coffee particles don't transfer to the grouphead, but coffee oils certainly do.

I always blow steam through the steam wand and wipe it clean every time I use it. I never soaked it in detergent solution, and don't notice any degradation in performance, but maybe I'll try it now, given how eye opening the detergent-based backflush was. I use Rpavlis water, so don't expect any descaling needed at any point.

Would the following maintenance protocol make sense for someone like me who uses soft water, always uses puck screens, doesn't use dark roasted beans and brews about 25 single shots a week?

Weekly:
Water-based backflush
Clean gasket with Espazzola

Monthly:
Detergent-based backflush
Soak the shower screen and baskets in detergent solution. Clean the steam wand tip using suitable substance.

Annually:
Disassemble mushroom and E61 cam for close checkup and if needed, lubing

BTW, it can take several shots for the coffee oils to get a squeaky lever (due to detergent-based backflush) to work smoothly again. What do you guys think about the alternative of backflushing with a few drops of olive oil?

JRising
Team HB

#12: Post by JRising »

boren wrote: Weekly:
Water-based backflush

Monthly:
Detergent-based backflush

Annually:
Disassemble mushroom and E61 cam for close checkup and if needed, lubing
I would do the hot-water backflush daily, just before shutting down. Maybe I'm obsessive, but I'm comfortable with the last thing passing over the valves before they're allowed to dry out being rinse water rather than waste water.

I would pop the mushroom out, dab a fingertip of lube under the brew valve and re-assemble every time you do the detergent backflush. Whether that's monthly or whatever. The cam will spread it down to the Preinfusion valve. It only takes a minute and a half to take the mushroom out and put it back. Less in machines where the paddle doesn't need to be taken off.

boren (original poster)

#13: Post by boren (original poster) »

Makes sense. I'll adopt the hot water backflush as an end-of-day task.

Do you know if I need anything more than a 36mm wrench to remove the mushroom on the Bianca?

JRising
Team HB

#14: Post by JRising »

Yes, whichever tool you'll need to take the paddle off. Some of the set-screws are a small allen head, some are slotted for a flat screwdriver... I believe 2mm allen key is the most common, but I have seen more than one flat-head.

poison

#15: Post by poison »

Can someone tell me the height of the machine at the back? I know it's listed at 16in on most sites, but that's including the paddle. My cabinets are 15in high. :roll:

boren (original poster)

#16: Post by boren (original poster) »

See here.

poison

#17: Post by poison »

Oh snap, thank you! It's 1/8 of an in clearance for me!

Now, Bianca or Micra? :D

boren (original poster)

#18: Post by boren (original poster) »

This is a bit off topic, better continue in your other thread:

$5000 budget: Which espresso machine?

macal425

#19: Post by macal425 »

I haven't had my Bianca for long enough to get into serious maintenance yet. I usually have 3 drinks a day and just do a quick water backflush after my 3rd drink and wipe down the shower screen afterwards with a cloth and brush. I just started using a puck screen recently and while it is less messy, there is still enough gunk to warrant a daily backflush and wipe down. For the chemical backflush, I do that once a month. I'm hoping that using non scaling water from Day 1, will prevent the need for any descaling.