Lelit Bianca - Flow Control Hardware Issues - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Sekra

#11: Post by Sekra »

Update!
Hi there, and thank you very much for a great explanatory reply.
That video from Lelit was golden, only one nut to basically get everything off, so I thought I'd go for it and have a look.
Unfortunately it was exactly what has been seen so many times before. The gicleur is broken, but not only is it chipped or damaged, it has come completely off, leaving a piece that is still screwed in to the group head. I have no idea of how to get this out. Any advice / tips are very welcome.
I'm in contact with the store I purchased it at, and they have reached out to Lelit, who themselves seem to be on holiday leave until January 6th.

Just thought I'd update you on this. See below for some pictures.

Goldscalpel

#12: Post by Goldscalpel »

Clive Coffee sent me the complete Mushroom assembly when that happened to mine.
Best wishes.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
Don Task

#13: Post by Don Task »

Sekra wrote:Update!
Hi there, and thank you very much for a great explanatory reply.
That video from Lelit was golden, only one nut to basically get everything off, so I thought I'd go for it and have a look.
Unfortunately it was exactly what has been seen so many times before. The gicleur is broken, but not only is it chipped or damaged, it has come completely off, leaving a piece that is still screwed in to the group head. I have no idea of how to get this out. Any advice / tips are very welcome.
I'm in contact with the store I purchased it at, and they have reached out to Lelit, who themselves seem to be on holiday leave until January 6th.
Yes the piece that is broken off in the group is threaded and screwed in... but its a very soft material (brass) and relatively easy to remove. However you mentioned you had "no idea" how to get it out so I''m guessing you're probably not familiar with using a screw extractor

This video (one of many on Youtube) shows a high level overview of how a screw extractor works.

Personally I doubt a screw extractor will be necessary. As mentioned, the piece that is broken off is a soft metal - plus - it already has a hole thru the center of it so there's no need to drill a hole for an extractor. That said... instead of buying an extractor I would think if you take a "small" screwdriver (only slightly larger than the hole in the gicleur) and gently tap it down into the hole until it feels like the edges of the screw driver are biting (grabbing) into the brass... then turn the screw driver anti-clockwise (counter clockwise) and the broken portions should unscrew.

Hopefully a HB member that has already had to remove one will jump into this discussion and explain how they did it.
Krups, then Silvia, then Livia 90, then a Techno! Does it ever end? [sigh]

ekay2012

#14: Post by ekay2012 »

I just had the same exact issue happen with my machine. I was able to get the broken piece out using a small flat head screwdriver, placing it at an angle on the inside edge of the broken gicleur and pushing in a counter clockwise direction. The screwdriver was about the same diameter as the inside diameter of the hole in the broken gicleur.

dane5431

#15: Post by dane5431 »

Another one... I also just had the same problem.
My machine is July 2020 manufacturing date, purchased in Sep 2020, and the photos of my broken part look identical to those already in the thread.

I'm wondering why Lelit hasn't addressed this yet. If this isn't an assembly (over tightening) issue, they why would they continue to produce the machine with the gicleur that is incorrect material quality or incorrectly designed (too small)?

slybarman

#16: Post by slybarman »

Are y'all being gorillas when closing the paddle?

mios

#17: Post by mios »

Guys, I had the same problem but instead of screwing out it screwed in and it fell on the inside area, which is not visible at all.
How can that be "fixed"?

Thank you.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Nunas »

slybarman wrote:Are y'all being gorillas when closing the paddle?
You're joking...right? I doubt this would be the cause. Failure of brass components like this is generally caused by over-torquing the brass component against the seat during assembly. There's a fairly narrow range of tightness for correct operation. Too tight and the jet can break, exactly as we see here; too loose and the needle, if closed in a ham-fisted manner, will become lodged in the jet, in which case the jet can become unscrewed from its seat.

slybarman

#19: Post by slybarman » replying to Nunas »

The paddle gives quite a bit of leverage. I suspect quite a bit more then you get from the little knob on the ecm kit. If it reaches full-close before the paddle hits the front of the machine, I imagine one could do some damage.

Petyot

#20: Post by Petyot »

My paddle was defective after a few weeks. I had to return it to have it fixed. It was covered by the warranty and the job was done within a few hours. The paddle is working flawlessly since then. I must admit that I don't use it that often... Most of the time I leave it at the same position.

I was drinking mostly espresso since almost 20 years but I have discovered latte with the Bianca. With my taste capabilities, I don't notice any differences in the taste of my latte with pre-infusion or if I try some flow profiling.