Lelit Bianca and steam pressure issues

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rsn4534

#1: Post by rsn4534 »

I was reading a write up by Porcupine; I quite enjoyed about his journey through espresso making, discussing machines and grinders. At one point he decided to move on from the Lelit Bianca to another non-Lelit machine. I will just quote his reasons, more than one, but I am just listing this one reason - "the Bianca steam pressure always kind of disappointed me." My comments are by no means any attempt to disparage Porcupine or be critical of a reason to move on to another machine.

My focus is on the comment of steam pressure. If I am not mistaken, the Lelit Bianca has a PID unit (but it didn't always have it) so lets assume Porcupine's unit did have a PID even if it didn't. By the way, I don't own a Bianca but a Victoria instead. Wouldn't increasing the steam temperature bring about an increase in steam pressure? And what are the ramifications of increasing the steam pressure/temp?

badgerbimmer

#2: Post by badgerbimmer »

There is plenty of steam in the Bianca to make any drink you want. The GS3 (my son and a good friend both have GS3s) has more power but to what end in a home environment? The post you cited is amusing. The mind driving you to validations of preconceived conclusions is a powerful thing.

slybarman

#3: Post by slybarman »

Anybody disappointed by the Bianca's steaming ability had something wrong with the machine or is doing something wrong. It has plenty of steam power.

jrothstein

#4: Post by jrothstein »

I purchased a Bianca 6 months ago after using my trusty Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II for over a decade. The Bianca's steam pressure is less powerful but after a couple of tries I was able to produce much better and more consistent microfoam. So +1 to slybarman's and badgerbimmer's comments--the Bianca is great for steaming.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Once the steam valve is opened, the pressure will drop. There hasn't been any mention about which tip is being used. I would use a 2-hole tip with a Bianca type machine and not use a pitcher bigger than 500ml if I didn't have to.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bakafish

#6: Post by bakafish »

I never heard that Bianca users complaint the steam pressure in Taiwan even the 110V version. If you use the stock 2-hole steam tip, the pressure almost never drops during frothing. The Bianca V1 220V version which I use does not include the 4-hole steam tip (the hole diameter is smaller than the 2-hole steam tip's) so I don't know the steam performance with it. But I use the 3-hole Vortex steam tip and remove the burn proof inner tube of the steam wand to increase the steam volume, the steam pressure is still very good. If you are not satisfied with the steam pressure of 135C (2.1 bar), you can enter the engineering mode to increase the temperature offset of the steam boiler. I had tried to set the steam boiler temperature to 130C (the limit of the V1) and the offset of 10, so the real temperature is 140C (2.6 bar), very powerful.

slybarman

#7: Post by slybarman »

Steaming with the 4 hole tip is almost too fast. You have to really be paying attention to get it textured right before it is at temp.