Leave your La Marzocco GS/3 on - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ken Fox

#41: Post by Ken Fox »

da gino wrote:I'll go wildly out on a limb and speculate that the vast majority of GS/3 owners have central AC even of the ones who live in cooler climates.
I agree, that is going way out on a limb.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Marshall

#42: Post by Marshall replying to Ken Fox »

Remember, Ken lives in Idaho, where indoor plumbing is considered suspiciously citified and probably pinko-lib'rul.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tekomino

#43: Post by tekomino »

Ken Fox wrote:I agree, that is going way out on a limb.
And one goose flying south doesn't mean winter is upon us. :D Yet.

Ken Fox

#44: Post by Ken Fox »

We use "natural AC" here; we open the windows when it is cool outside (in the evening and night), then close them up in the morning. This maintains an interior temperature not above 75F, except on rare occasions. And I can put up with 5-10 hot days inside my house each year. Beats paying for AC, and dare I say, is pretty frugal with resources. :mrgreen:

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by JohnB. »

da gino wrote:I'll go wildly out on a limb and speculate that the vast majority of GS/3 owners have central AC even of the ones who live in cooler climates.
Maybe in the new builds but there are lots of older homes in New England without central A/C. We use a window unit & turn it on about 6 times a summer. As far as 24/7 use goes I saw no noticable increase in my electric bill when I went from running the Vivaldi 12-14 hours a day to 24/7 use with the Speedster. Now when my daughter moved back in a few months ago I definitely saw the bill go up! :shock:
LMWDP 267

shadowfax

#46: Post by shadowfax »

Flimsy limbs or not, this discussion is really deteriorating into off-topic side-discussion. It's fair to say that this is not the place for members to argue the merits of operating electrically efficiently and reducing carbon emissions: If this is not obvious to you, if you do not care, or if you disagree with the value of those things for any reason, you simply need not participate in a discussion of how to reduce your machine's power use and the issues at stake with doing so. Again, this is not the place for arguing HVAC demographics either, particularly making potshots at other members' locales. Please refer to the Guidelines for productive online discussion if you need a refresher.

If you have information to contribute to the issues at stake with leaving the GS/3 on 24/7 vs. turning it on on-demand/by a schedule, especially if you have some detailed power consumption data, by all means I look forward to reading your posts. To that end, this discussion needs to get back on topic now. Thanks.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Marshall

#47: Post by Marshall »

Sorry, Nicholas. Ken and I are old friends going on almost a decade. He has been a guest in my home, and we take friendly potshots at each other all the time. Just for the record, Ken lives in one of the wealthiest communities in the world, where indoor plumbing has been popular for months, at least.

But I disagree with your premise that energy conservation is tangential to the topic of "Leave your La Marzocco GS/3 on." I thought it was central.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Ken Fox

#48: Post by Ken Fox »

Marshall wrote:Sorry, Nicholas. Ken and I are old friends going on almost a decade. He has been a guest in my home, and we take friendly potshots at each other all the time. Just for the record, Ken lives in one of the wealthiest communities in the world, where indoor plumbing has been popular for months, at least.

There are slummy portions of my area, and my street has long been regarded as one of the major examples of that. Unfortunately, my next door neighbor to the north decided to build a horrendously ugly and massive McMansion, blocking all my former mountain views and replacing them with expansive views of metal surfaced monstrosity that is being allowed intentionally to RUST. He spent at least $5 million dollars on the thing, as close as I can figure. The (financial) impact of his building that thing next to me is that my property value assessment went DOWN by 10% over the last year!

As a sidebar, one of my neighbors, Maria, lost her Chihuahua puppy recently. She has been putting up flyers all around the neighborhood, hoping that someone will find her. If you have seen this puppy, please drop me a line:

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

Marshall

#49: Post by Marshall »

Uhhhh, when I said "friend" I meant "passing acquaintance." Actually, I hardly know Ken at all.
Marshall
Los Angeles

cannonfodder
Team HB

#50: Post by cannonfodder »

Glad it was not one of those weiner dogs. :lol:
Dave Stephens