Leaky Rocket Mozzafiato Evo R

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
flipf

#1: Post by flipf »

hi All,

I recently plumbed the new Rocket Mozzafiato R, using ~60 PSI water mains pressure going through a carbon filter. (Manual say Max 58psi, so I am in the upper range of that, possible a tad over that)

Machine works well, but it has a tiny leak, dripping somewhere in the back left side whether is on or off.
By tiny, I mean some 1-2 oz of water over 8 hrs I would estimate.

I don't think is the hose fitting connection into the machine as that looks dry to the touch.

Any suggestion where to look first?

Second - how is WLL with warranties? - I am willing and able to remove cover/panels and check things around, possible fix it myself. Shipping it back to WLL is impractical.

TYA

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Installing an in-line water pressure regulator with gauge might help. Do you have an in-line water filter and leak detector with automatic cutoff should a serious leak occur?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

You should definitely lower the input pressure; 60 PSI is enough that a solenoid valve may drip.

That said, even if a valve lets water pass, it should never lead to water dripping inside the case. Spillover should be routed safely to the driptray, which ideally is connected to the waste water system. If you're handy and willing to remove the outer case, you can find the cause of the leak. Maybe a fitting is loose? Shipping in boxes is not easy on an espresso machine, which is why I recommend mini pallet shipments for heavy ones, even if you have to pay extra.

I agree with BaristaBoy -- if your espresso machine is directly plumbed, at a minimum the driptray should be plumbed to catch overflow, or add a leak detection system that cuts off the water. Imagine the damage 5 gallons of water spilling onto your hardwood floors can do. See Flood Mitigation for Plumbed Espresso Machines for specifics.

As an aside, our clothes washing machine once overflowed. Inexplicably, the local code at the time of our house construction didn't require an overflow drain if the washer was on the first floor. Fortunately, we were home at the time and caught it within minutes. At the time, it wasn't uncommon for us to run the washer at night or turn it on before leaving. A few years later, our dishwasher overflowed due to a failed solenoid valve late in the evening. Our son happen to walk through the kitchen before bed and noticed his socks were soaked. :shock:

Since then we have the strict rule that no washer or dishwasher cycles at night or when nobody is home.
Dan Kehn

flipf (original poster)

#4: Post by flipf (original poster) »

I think I found the culprit after taking the back panel off.

There is an electro valve which has a rectangular body made of plastic, and water is sipping slowly through its plastic body! As likely has some pores. Has anyone seen something like this?

It leaks in two places, as shown in the pic.

The rate is about 1 drop every 10-20 seconds which is consistent with puddle of water I've observed after 8 hrs or so.

What is the name of that part? (assuming my link sharing worked)

Will contact WLL to see how we go from here. What's your experience with them?

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

It looks like the steam boiler refill solenoid; I believe it's #3 in the parts diagram below:

From Mozzafiato Evoluzione R Parts Diagram on WholeLatteLove

Contact WLL and ask them for guidance. In all likelihood, they'll send you a replacement part and offer installation advice.
Dan Kehn

flipf (original poster)

#6: Post by flipf (original poster) »

Thanks. That indeed seems to be the part # C190004067
Solenoid valve V.115

For now I disconnected the machine from the water source and planning to use the water tank while I get it fixed. Glad I did not flood the house.

I would like to believe that because pressure is much lower with water tank, the water will not penetrate that plastic / may not drip (that bad, at least)

It is somewhat odd that pore right on front - as behind that plastic wall there shall be a an electrical coil. Don't think there shall be water behind?

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

My guess is that the leak is from the solenoid stem (silver piece/center) not sealing against the base (brass piece/right):

From Breville Dual Boiler solenoid "fix"
Dan Kehn

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

Tested in Italy. Both boilers drained, but shipped in winter with water trapped in solenoid valve. Once the new valve arrives you'll be able to take that apart and see the damage, the valve ruptured inside that coil so impressively that it cracked the coil. It's amazing it doesn't trip your GFCI every time the pump runs, is it on a GFCI?

Usually it just pops the valve out of its threaded body, this direction of shattering is new to me.
★ Helpful

flipf (original poster)

#9: Post by flipf (original poster) replying to JRising »

This is an interesting perspective.
Incidentally it was in transit right when that arctic blast occurred few weeks ago. It seems plausible that water might have froze inside that valve rupturing some internals. It is not on a gfci, but as I look back to the current situation I may have to put a GFCI breaker on that circuit.

Funny is that Rocket suggests to alway wear shoes when making coffee :) If I recall from reading the manual..

flipf (original poster)

#10: Post by flipf (original poster) »

Talked with WLL on the phone, replacement part going in the mail today.

YAY!