Lavazza Espresso Point Matinee - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Milligan

#11: Post by Milligan »

Beautiful little machine. I'd love to have one if I was closer to DC. Great score and thanks for sharing!

slybarman (original poster)

#12: Post by slybarman (original poster) replying to Milligan »

You are welcome. i never know what interesting thing i will find on Craigslist. i bought both my machines there at bargain prices.

With respect to these machines, another HB member drove from out of town and scooped them all up from the seller yesterday. They were just priced too well to ignore.

#13: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

I purchased some non-decaf pods to try out - specifically the Lavazza crema & Aroma. It makes for a very nice drinkable latte with a milk chocolate note. Nothing bitter or unpleasant. They come two pods to a sealed foil pack and the best-by date was 07/2023 - presumably two years post-roast which is pretty common for these Italian roasts. 100 pods cost $35, so $.35/ea.

The dose from these pods is quite small - 7g if I read right and I'm only pulling a 1 oz shot, so it is very easy to overwhelm it with milk. I either need to cut the milk amount back or pull two pods for 1 latte.

The milk steaming is improving without the panarello but still needs some work to get the texture quite right. There seems to be a pretty small window between under-textured and over-textured relative to steaming on my Bianca which is pretty quick and forgiving.

#14: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

Maintenance manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/22281 ... -120v.html

I have some obvious questions about the FAP compartment and associated choking of the discharge pipe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dmorina25

#15: Post by dmorina25 »

I am interested in getting a couple of them. I need one for me and one for my uncle. I used to own one and it makes excellent espresso.

dmorina25

#16: Post by dmorina25 »

I need at least two of these so if you can help me to contact the seller i would appreciate

#17: Post by slybarman (original poster) replying to dmorina25 »

Hi sorry, I only just now saw this post.

Another forum member drove in from out of town and bought all the machines my local seller had. He is selling them now on ebay at normal market price, so I would say if you still want one, just look at ebay auctions. One thing I know now that I didn't know originally is the later model years of the machines have the blue LED lights on the front versus the green on the earlier model years. Not sure if there are a lot of meaningful differences otherwise. So you have to balance model year versus use as indicated by the shout counter.

#18: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

I really love this little machine. I bought it thinking my wife would use it for decafs. She hasn't touched it, but I use most afternoons or evening for a quick decaf latte. I can't have caffeine past noon or I'm up all night. The pods and super fast heat up time make it really easy to be impulsive about having one when I decide I want it.

I can almost steam the milk well enough on it to do latte art. Just slightly over-textured still.

There are a lot more coffee choices than just Lavazza. I decided to give another decaf a try and I like the flavor better than the Lavazza. I also like that these come 1 to a pack versus two so I don't have to store one until the next time.

#19: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

thread opened in repair section instead.

#20: Post by slybarman (original poster) »

In terms of brew ratios, the EP pods are a 7 gram dose and the shortest volumetric dosage button seems to yield around 28-30g out - or 1:4.

I wonder if this is pretty common for pod type machines?

Seems a better strategy is to stop if half way through and use a second pod to get me more in the 1:2 range. I vaguely recall James Hoffman doing rather long ratios in his super-auto machine video, but I don't recall why. I will have to go back and re-watch it.