La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II Portafilter Basket Size Dilemma

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pi.bond

#1: Post by pi.bond »

Hey folks.

I was looking to buy a triple basket for my Vivaldi II and ran into something interesting. Everything I have read says the portafilter basket is 53mm. However, when I measured the portafilter it looks like it is actually 58 (I tried attaching an image with the ruler and the portafilter with basket but got an "Error parsing server response" in the status column of the images tab).

I am the second owner and the only thing I could think of is the first owner modified the grouphead, but that seems a little out there to me.

Any ideas on why the basket would be 58?

Thanks.

Terry

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by daveR1 »

I have the Spaziale Dream & its definitely a 53mm. When I changed from my previous ECM with an E61, I had to buy new baskets & PF. I'm pretty sure the Vivaldi is the same since the Dream is just an evolved version with more electronics.

IMS makes precision baskets for the Spaz & my bottomless PF came with the IMS triple. I think you can buy just the triple basket from a dealer like Chris or Clive. they can confirm if it's a 53mm.

pi.bond (original poster)

#3: Post by pi.bond (original poster) »

If you wouldn't mind could you take a picture of your portafilter basket with a ruler laying across the basket measuring the inner dimension and post it? That would help me determine if I am just measuring wrong.

Thanks so much.

Terry

BB Huell

#4: Post by BB Huell »

I have a LS VII. I bought it new from Chris' Coffee Service in October 2010.

The double basket on the top inside diameter measures 56mm. The double basket on the bottom inside diameter measures 52mm.

I have a naked triple basket also bought new from CCS in 2010, it measures the same.

I took thin pieces of paper and cut them to fit the inside top and inside bottom diameters. I then measured them. That is how I came up with my measurements.

FYI

Todd

cruiten

#5: Post by cruiten »

Here is a picture of one of the baskets that I use with my La Spaziale S1 VII...

pi.bond (original poster)

#6: Post by pi.bond (original poster) »

That explains it. The top diameter not being 53mm was where I was getting thrown off.

While you folks were posting your extremely helpful explanation and pic I had one of those "duh" moments - simply measure the tamper. 53mm :-)

Any recommendations on specific triple baskets?

Thanks again so much for your help!

Cheers,

Terry

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by daveR1 »

pi.bond wrote:
While you folks were posting your extremely helpful explanation and pic I had one of those "duh" moments - simply measure the tamper. 53mm :-)
I should have mentioned that. When I went to the IMS Competiton baskets, I had a machine shop turn a 54 mm tamper down to 53.3 mm for a snugger fit. This is what was recommended for the VST 58 mm baskets with my ECM machine. I used a 58.35 mm tamper.

The thinking is that the "precision" baskets (i.e. IMS Competition or VST) are more uniform in size so you can run a tighter tamper to get better, even tamping.

daveR1
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by daveR1 »

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

pi.bond wrote:Any recommendations on specific triple baskets?
Yes: stick to double baskets.

The Spaz double already has the geometry of a triple (it's taller, relative to its diameter, than 58mm double baskets). IMHO the quality of your extractions will suffer if you go with an even taller basket.
John

michael

#10: Post by michael »

I like the IMS triple, generally switch to it at 18gs and its a must at 19+gs 8)