La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II reservoir PROBLEM - advice please

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kitchengirl

#1: Post by kitchengirl »

We have owned a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II (with a water reservoir on the front) for 4 - 5 years. It has been very dependable, with only one minor part needed over our ownership.

The only issue we have had with the machine is the insertion / removal of the water reservoir, where the valve in the reservoir engages with the espresso machine's plumbing. This problem has existed for 2-3 years, or perhaps even from the beginning, but it has been very manageable until recently. Over the last couple of years, I just had to ease the box slightly left as the valve engaged with the machine. Now, I truly cannot engage the valve or disengage it -- my husband, who is stronger, has to do it. We expect no good to come from forcing these to engage...

I called tech services at Chris' Coffee, where it was purchased, and the suggestion was that the chrome front panel might have moved or be misaligned, and that I should try loosening one or both of the screws on the chrome panel. I tried this, and it has nothing to do with the problem. It seems, logically, that either the valve in the reservoir or the receiving plumbing of the machine, both of which are secured with bolts, have moved... but BOTH PARTS seem TIGHTLY BOLTED, so I don't understand how they could be the problem if they don't move at all.

If anyone has considerable experience with this machine or has had this specific problem before, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks!!!

CSME9

#2: Post by CSME9 »

If i remember correctly there is a metal track on the left that guides the tank into the female valve & may need adjustment, it may have shifted or the female recieving valve in the back has shifted. If you remove the entire top 4 screws SS cover, with a flashlight you should be able to see from the top down where the tank connects.

kitchengirl (original poster)

#3: Post by kitchengirl (original poster) »

Will,
Thanks a lot -- we will give it a try tonight.

Abnuceals

#4: Post by Abnuceals »

Mine was leaking at the same place. I put a little bit of Dow 111 and all was smouth and easy. No need to force or push hard. And the Dow 111 is also a good sealant.
LMWDP 389

CSME9

#5: Post by CSME9 »

kitchengirl wrote:Will,
Thanks a lot -- we will give it a try tonight.
+1 to what Abnuceals said.

Also the male end on the end of water tank valve has a very small black rubber gasket, ensure its not broken or it will leak, and lubed for an easier water tank fit.

#6: Post by kitchengirl (original poster) »

Thanks Pierre, and Will. Sent my husband the info (very handy). Asked him what Dow 111 is. Assuming it is a specific type of silicone caulk?? Slippery but seals and food-safe?

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM replying to kitchengirl »

I use this Dow 111 package. You can purchase from several different vendors on Amazon and elsewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Corning-O-Ring-Si ... B00CAWWSQU

It's a silicone lubricant grease and sealant. That one tub will last a long, long time.

And yes it is FDA approved and safe for internal lubricants.
LMWDP #445

#8: Post by kitchengirl (original poster) »

Guys,

We ordered the Dow 111 and received it 2 days ago. We had planned on opening up the Mini Vivaldi II this weekend, but faced with no more drip coffee or filters this morning (our backup to espresso), my husband applied the Dow 111 without any adjustments and low and behold: the reservoir slides onto the valve like a dream!! Really amazing, after literally not being able to insert it, no matter what.

Thank you both for your help!