La Spaziale Dream dose

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bodka Coffee

#1: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I purchased a Dream to use in my roastery. It is a good looking little machine. I have been using my Astoria lever with 58 mm basket and this 53 has me stumped a bit. Would one of you Vivaldi or Dream users mind telling me how many grams you use in the single and double baskets?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

15g in a 53mm basket corresponds to 18g in a 58mm basket. That is my typical target dose. My dose range runs 14.5g to 16g in the Spaz double basket. You can cram in more coffee, but I've never found an improvement in taste.

Enjoy your new toy!
John

Bodka Coffee (original poster)

#3: Post by Bodka Coffee (original poster) »

But don't you hit the screw head with that much?

woodchuck

#4: Post by woodchuck »

I dose between 15 and 16 grams. I shaved done the bolt head for the diffuser screens to give me a little more room.

Cheers

Ian

jfrescki

#5: Post by jfrescki »

My preferred dose is 14.5, but I'm good up to 16. If the roast is very light, 17-18 will work in the stock double.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#6: Post by RapidCoffee »

Bodka Coffee wrote:But don't you hit the screw head with that much?
With 16g? Not even close on my S1V1. The Spaz double basket has the geometry of a triple. Despite the smaller diameter, the height is as tall (or even a hair taller) than many 58mm double baskets.
John

Bob_McBob

#7: Post by Bob_McBob »

I use IMS precision double baskets. For a light third wave roast, I typically dose 18g, but for darker roasts I aim for more like 16g. I am grinding with a shop grinder (Mahlkonig Tanzania) so YMMV.
Chris

michael

#8: Post by michael »

I'm generally using the perecision triple with a bottomless, can dose a nice 20gs with no indentation on the puck 8)

expy98

#9: Post by expy98 »

I've replaced the screen's hex head bolt w/ a button head bolt to gain a little extra head space (didn't measure,
I took the bolt to the hardware store and looked for the smallest bolt head, it's been a few years since I've swapped bolts).

I regularly dose 19g using the double basket without touching the screen bolt. I can go 20g w/out touching.

Never touched the single basket.