La Scala Butterfly problem

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
earthling

#1: Post by earthling »

greetings 'o worthy ones,'

my la scala-butterfly has been delivering great coffee for 12 years.

during the last two weeks while using the blind filter for cleaning, i am getting very weak/little discharge through outlet when closing the group.

after brew there is still considerable pressure when releasing the filter handle -with a wet top to the coffee.

also a bit of leaking through outlet even after machine is switched off after use.

i have replaced the ulka vibrating pump.

the machine still produces a nice coffee, but there is obviously something that needs replacing.....

cheers, earthling
the only solution is for aliens to attack
no borders; no racism; no religion

coffinnate

#2: Post by coffinnate »

How long has it been since the brew group has been cleaned? After 12 years it might need an entire rebuild. I did mine a few months ago with a kit from an online auction site, around $50 shipped, easy afternoon project.

earthling (original poster)

#3: Post by earthling (original poster) »

coffinnate wrote:How long has it been since the brew group has been cleaned? After 12 years it might need an entire rebuild.
Thanks for your reply... :)

Machine brews a max of 4 cups per day with rain-water only. Regular cleaning with blind filter only.

coffinnate

#4: Post by coffinnate »

When you lower the lever it rotates a cam, which pushes a valve stem, which pushes the bottom (discharge) valve open. If the cam or stem is worn the valve might not be pushed fully open. It could be clogged too. The kit I mentioned includes all the wear parts and seals, and was a correct fit for my Butterfly.

#5: Post by earthling (original poster) »

coffinnate wrote:The kit I mentioned includes all the wear parts and seals, and was a correct fit for my Butterfly.
ok, thanks for that - can you point me in the right direction to purchase this kit :?:

cheers, earthling

coffinnate

#6: Post by coffinnate »

eBay, search Faema E61 group. The seller is brooksespressomachines. The shower screen seemed kind of cheap, but all the other parts are nice.

Weird that we have Butterflies, Rockys, and the same first name.

jmc

#7: Post by jmc »

Coffeeparts in Sydney has everything you need.

http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/faema-spa ... r-operated

All the parts on that page fit the Butterfly.
John

Alan Frew

#8: Post by Alan Frew »

The Butterfly group is NOT repeat NOT 100% Faema compatible. Instead laScala use the same group as ECM. Use http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/parts-by- ... r-operated instead, you should be replacing all rubber bits and the 3 cam sets.

Alan

jmc

#9: Post by jmc »

Oops, Sorry about the wrong info. I was sure it came from Alan's website when he was selling them. :oops:
John

#10: Post by earthling (original poster) »

Greetings 'O Worthy Ones' :)

thanks for your info.

i will be following 'alan frew's' advice to replace parts.

I have been buying coffee from him for years and have always found his knowledge of machines exceptional.

cheers, earthling
the only solution is for aliens to attack
no borders; no racism; no religion