La Marzocco's Formula 1 Entry: Strada with pressure profiling! - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Marshall

#11: Post by Marshall »

10-minute video of Kent Bakke officially introducing the Strada in London this week is now on the LM website: http://www.lamarzocco.com. The first two test models will go to Tim Wendelboe (programmable version) and Klaus Thomsen (manual version). Both are former WBC champion, high-profile European baristas.

On the lo-tech, but sensible, side the Strada will have new light, stainless steel portafilters that sit straight on the counter for tamping, even with a single spout.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JimWright

#12: Post by JimWright »

For those in the Bay Area, I was pleasantly surprised to see one of these in the flesh for the first time on the counter at Verve just now - they apparently got it on Monday.

Dieter01

#13: Post by Dieter01 »

weasel

#14: Post by weasel »

Funny, I thought about posting to this thread last night. I ran across this, because I was curious about the 'Strada' as I had noticed it at Verve on Thursday. I was unaware of any buzz about the machine until I googled it. Had a decaf macchiato, very nice. With my limited palate I still picked up 'malt' and some kind of pomegranate-like finish.

If you can, do check it/them out. Don't know about 'less filling', but definitely 'tastes great'.

Marshall

#15: Post by Marshall »

You may be able to play with one next week at LM's "Out of the Box" event in Berkeley. http://lamarzoccousa.wordpress.com/2010 ... e-invited/
Marshall
Los Angeles

JimWright

#16: Post by JimWright »

Way bummed I won't be in town for this. :(

JimWright

#17: Post by JimWright »

Due to badness with Southwest airlines, I was actually back early and got to go over to the LM Out of the Box event today and did, in fact, get to play with the Strada. They had both the manual (line pressure/full pressure only) and electronic (full profiling) versions there to fondle, er, try. ;) And I noted while in L.A. this weekend that Intelligentsia in Silverlake has gotten one as well.

There were also interesting sessions at the event re: espresso machine maintenance taught by Roger at LM, new basket technology (with worthwhile discussion on solids measurement and other factors), etc. (I only wish I'd been there for the whole thing!) Plus, of course, great coffee brewed by some of the Bay Area's best roasters.

If folks have not been to one of these events, I highly recommend it should one come to your area.

Marc

#18: Post by Marc »

After using the manual strada a bit, I have to say that the machine is great, except for pressure profiling.

It's really hard to get consistent result and to produce a specific profile. We don't have much feedback with the paddle and it quickly jump up from 0 (or maybe more as it's not shown on the valve) to 9,5 bar. Except for this part the machine is nice. I think the automatic machine would be way better for consistency and precise result. But it's like 5000$ more.

JimWright

#19: Post by JimWright »

The version of the manual I was playing with didn't allow what I think most would call profiling at all - it offered line pressure preinfusion and then full pressure from the pump, that's it. Of the two I played with, only the electronic offered variable pump pressure controlled by the paddle (or by a program).

Marshall

#20: Post by Marshall »

JimWright wrote:The version of the manual I was playing with didn't allow what I think most would call profiling at all - it offered line pressure preinfusion and then full pressure from the pump, that's it.
That would be the same as the GS/3 Paddle.

I'm really sorry that work pressure kept me from going to Berkeley this week. :(
Marshall
Los Angeles