La Marzocco releases Brew by Weight for Linea Mini

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G
Team HB

#1: Post by Jake_G »

See here for initial discussion:

La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience

This has been teased for some time, but owners of IoT connected LMLM machines can now purchase a new Acaia "Brew by Weight" Lunar from LM and enjoy gravimetric dosing.
https://lamarzocco.com/uk/en/product/br ... nar-scale/

Why are old scales not supported?
Why are the GS/3 and Micra excluded?

I'm curious to hear thoughts around this and if anyone has the new scale, please chime in!
LMWDP #704

Jimmy_The_Saint

#2: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

Jake_G wrote: Why are the GS/3 and Micra excluded?
I think the Micra might because of the reduced height below the group. Anyone using the spouted PF and a Lunar probably wouldn't get much of a cup in between. Do-able, sure, but awkward.

There's a GS3 variant that does volumetric right? I appreciate that's not gravimetric but maybe. I'm just guessing here.

I'd be tempted to get the scales if it did auto-start too. Maybe someone more techy than I knows why that hasn't been implemented.

Auto-tare and pump-start on placing a cup and then pump-stop at desired weight would presumably be possible with the Bluetooth connection?

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:There's a GS3 variant that does volumetric right?
Correct, the AV has 4 different programmable dosing buttons, which count ticks off the flow meter. It is very reliable once you have dialed in your desired shot parameters, but dose by weight is without a doubt a better option.
Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:Maybe someone more techy than I knows why that hasn't been implemented.

Auto-tare and pump-start on placing a cup and then pump-stop at desired weight would presumably be possible with the Bluetooth connection?
That's a recipe for disaster.

What happens if someone places an object on the scale when it isn't even on the drip tray? Will the machine just start brewing on its own? No thanks.

As implemented, this should be pretty great. Set the cup on the scale and flip the paddle. The scale tares, starts the shot timer and the pump starts. The timer ticks away on the scale and the pump shuts off when the desired weight is met. You can flip the paddle back at your leisure.
Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

tiji78

#4: Post by tiji78 »

just updated my firmware and the regular lunar post 2021 is recognized and can be used

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G (original poster) replying to tiji78 »

Reheheheheheallly?
LMWDP #704

Jimmy_The_Saint

#6: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

Jake_G wrote: What happens if someone places an object on the scale when it isn't even on the drip tray? Will the machine just start brewing on its own? No thanks.
Fair point.

Super interesting that the existing Lunar works with this feature (and is ~£150 less expensive)... I'm tempted now.

Diatribe

#7: Post by Diatribe »

Hmm, weird. My 2021 lunar isn't being found. Everything is updated.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by OK31 »

Will be testing this tonight, anyone whose isn't working may need to update their firmware on lunar to the latest version.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by OK31 »

tiji78 wrote:just updated my firmware and the regular lunar post 2021 is recognized and can be used
What firmware number is your Lunar?

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Jaroslav »

Not working for me, both 2021 Lunar and Mini on recent FW.

Jaroslav