La Marzocco releases Brew by Weight for Linea Mini - Page 22

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
espressoren

#211: Post by espressoren »

Jaroslav wrote:From Acaia:

The Acaia Lunar's electronic parts are coated with a water-resistant spray.
Sure, if they say so :) I guess maybe some sort of hydrophobic layer like ScotchGard is possible, but not the kind of varnish layer most waterproof electronics get, one that actually prohibits conductivity. Or maybe I just have a bad one.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#212: Post by Jaroslav »

jwcinsd wrote:This is what mine looks like inside after I scrubbed it with a moist old toothbrush and dried it out.
I decided to take my scales apart too and take some pictures today, just to prove my point :)

This is my 3 year old Felicia Arc, which was sitting on the tray most of the time and was getting flushed over daily:

This is my exactly 1 month old Brew By Weight Lunar, which I've taken out of the drip tray for maybe 4th time today since I got it, having flushed all over (including portafilter rinse everytime I made coffee):

I don't have pictures of my few months old 2021 Lunar as I already sold it. I've no doubts it's as clean as my other two scales that have been used the same way. They're absolutely spotless inside.

I hope this helps.
Jaroslav

cb
Supporter ♡

#213: Post by cb »

Here's the reply from Acaia support:
The Lunar scale was designed to withstand an espresso drip tray's hot and wet environment. It is not waterproof, but is water-resistant. It will allow the user to spill hot water and espresso onto the scale and be fine.

The issue is when the user does not allow their scale to dry out between uses or continually floods the inner components with water and espresso. Other potential issues are as follows:
The user attempts to charge their scale when wet.
The user flushes materials other than water and espresso and compromises the water-resistant coating of the components inside.
The user floods the inner components with espresso, and as it dries, it stains the touch sensors and LED display screen.

The recessed drip tray creates a new environment where the user may not always to remove their scale before flushing their espresso machine, but I'll say removing it away from the area before flushing will be insurance to keeping your Lunar running for many more years.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#214: Post by Jaroslav »

The issue is when the user does not allow their scale to dry out between uses or continually floods the inner components with water and espresso.

This is a very important point. If you use Pantechnicon's mod, the water has nowhere to go, it will flood the insides of a Lunar. If you use La Marzocco's drip tray, water will run freely and never flood the insides.
Jaroslav

jwcinsd

#215: Post by jwcinsd »

Jaroslav wrote:I decided to take my scales apart too and take some pictures today, just to prove my point....They're absolutely spotless inside.

I hope this helps.
Wow, it absolutely helps. All of my wooden and brass-plated parts are Pantechnicon, but I don't know if my drip tray is. It was purchased a long time ago.

Either way, water easily flows over it. I am going to buy the BBW Lunar today. Thanks so much!

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#216: Post by Jaroslav »

jwcinsd wrote:Either way, water easily flows over it.
It needs to flow around and down to the drain freely. That's definitely Pantechnicon's design, it's a really tight fit for the Lunar. Try to see if you can get La Marzocco's original part :wink:
Jaroslav

espressoren

#217: Post by espressoren »

Yeah with the scale being held up only among the outside edges of the bottom plate, water coming down off the top of the scale is going to flow right into the inside of the scale.

Got to keep water out of the inside, relying on gravity I guess. Water beads on the PCB, so there is a coating there, but anything conductive that remains will short the circuits since they aren't insulated.

RawDog

#218: Post by RawDog »

For me the OEM LM Lunar tray was a no brainer vs the Pantechnicon insert.

The fact that you can remove the scale and still have mesh below, say, for a taller cup/any cup, if one desired is what I liked. Remove the Lunar from a drip tray that has been modified with the Pantechnicon insert, and you are left with a gaping hole, which means to me that you must have the Lunar installed always.
Does anybody here actually drink espresso?

Frenchman

#219: Post by Frenchman »

RawDog wrote:For me the OEM LM Lunar tray was a no brainer vs the Pantechnicon insert.
On lamarzoccohome.com (US) they only have the Pantechnicon mods.. I saw a UK video review of the tray..Is it only available in Europe? Seems.like they would want to push it with the brew by weight scale.

Does the scale has any of the classic Lunar modes too?
LMWDP #712

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#220: Post by Jaroslav »

Frenchman wrote:Does the scale has any of the classic Lunar modes too?
As far as I can tell yes, all of them.
Jaroslav