La Marzocco releases Brew by Weight for Linea Mini - Page 21

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
aquanaut

#201: Post by aquanaut »

jwcinsd wrote:Hi Jaroslav, Thanks for the reply. I do have mine like yours with the rubber stickers. But when mine went funky, I removed the 2 screws and was horrified to see the amount of coffee and rust packed on the electronics. Now that video shows it can take hot water and I assumed that water follows gravity and can't get back up inside, but obviously, there must be some serious splashing in the drip tray even though it never fills up. This is what mine looks like inside after I scrubbed it with a moist old toothbrush and dried it out.
My guess is that it's not so much splashing. I think the way the Lunar is constructed from 2 metal shells, the gap between them means the capillary effect enables water to creep up through the sides if you leave it in just a little bit of water. I would strongly recommend taking the scale out regularly or flushing into a cup/bowl, rather than just leaving the scale in and operating as normal.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#202: Post by Jaroslav »

aquanaut wrote:I would strongly recommend taking the scale out regularly or flushing into a cup/bowl, rather than just leaving the scale in and operating as normal.
You too have Pantechnicon's mod. I'd recommend the same with this particular mod, it's a bad design.

I can only recommend La Marzocco's own drip tray for this, as it provides a lot more clearance for water to run freely and has plenty of gaps allowing water to escape.

Jaroslav

OK31
Supporter ♡

#203: Post by OK31 replying to Jaroslav »

For my education as I don't have the grate yet, are you suggesting that ordering the grate from LM is different than direct from pantech even though they make the one for LM?

RawDog

#204: Post by RawDog »

Two different grates altogether. LM version is an official replacement part C.1.404. And quite different that the Pantechnicon version that is a plain grate with the center cut out and a 3D printed insert installed over the sharp edges.
LM USA offers the (local to them) Seattle based Pantechnicon version, which may lead one to believe it is a factory LM part.

If you are going the Pantechnicon route, just buy the twenty dollar insert direct and install it yourself. If you have a dremel tool.
Does anybody here actually drink espresso?

OK31
Supporter ♡

#205: Post by OK31 replying to RawDog »

So if I wanted the official LM part is it not under the accessory shopping ?

RawDog

#206: Post by RawDog »

Search for La Marzocco c1404. It's difficult to find. I searched the whole world to find mine.
I called LM in Seattle and they told me they would/could order it from Italy.
I got the feeling they would rather sell you the Pantechnicon version.

Other members here might have other sources for stock of C1404
Does anybody here actually drink espresso?

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#207: Post by Jaroslav »

Jaroslav

OK31
Supporter ♡

#208: Post by OK31 replying to Jaroslav »

Thanks, that's quite the markup sheesh

espressoren

#209: Post by espressoren »

I believe both.

The circuit board on my lunar 2021 is definitely not coated. I just tested and can read continuity when gently touching a pin with my meter. A bit surprising as I would think they'd epoxy coat it, but maybe they want the option to repair on the board level.

Further, the gap holding the bottom plate on is wide open to the circuit and internals - if the bottom of the scale sits in more than about 3mm of water it will go inside the scale where the electronics are, no doubt. Even without disassembly, if you shine a flashlight in the gap you can see the circuit board.

On the flip side I can imagine that with care not to let it sit in a puddle, liquid wouldn't ever enter and the scale would be fine.

Jaroslav
Supporter ♡

#210: Post by Jaroslav »

espressoren wrote:The circuit board on my lunar 2021 is definitely not coated.
From Acaia:

The Acaia Lunar's electronic parts are coated with a water-resistant spray.
Jaroslav