La Marzocco new single baskets?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Nimitzg

#1: Post by Nimitzg » Jan 16, 2020, 8:21 am

According to this lovely youtube posted by LM ,
A statement has been made that LM has now new single baskets with better wall design allowing a better single extraction with no need for a small diameter tamper (as needed with the old , straight-walled basket).
I have found no additional info in LM website.

Anyone else ?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. » Jan 16, 2020, 9:46 am

Looks like LM came out with their own version of the IMS The Single basket that's been available for several years. About time they caught up.
LMWDP 267

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing » Jan 16, 2020, 11:56 am

These came out at least six months ago. I have one because LM didn't tell anyone that the Strada basket had been replaced by this one. It wasn't worth returning, so I tried it.

It is a 7.5g (nominal) basket. It does work with a regular tamper. It does not work that well with 7g - I dosed between 7.5g-8.5g, depending on coffee.

My suspicion is that it is the different finish on the basket that help the coffee stick to the sloped sides, as the shape is similar to some regular single baskets. I had more success avoiding side channels as the roast level increased.

The workflow using the Tidaka single funnel and tamper and the previous LM single basket shape (Strada/LF/VST) worked better for me, so the (new) LM basket went to the parts bin.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Nimitzg

#4: Post by Nimitzg » Jan 16, 2020, 2:06 pm

baldheadracing wrote: so the (new) LM basket went to the parts bin.
I would like to give it a try but couldn't find it in the online store.
Can you share a link?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baldheadracing » Jan 16, 2020, 2:18 pm

Nimitzg wrote:I would like to give ir a try but couldn't find it in the online store.
Can you share a link?
https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... te_size=7g

I see that they still haven't changed the picture and it shows the old basket, but that is the link that I ordered from.

Note that La Marzocco USA will not ship outside the USA, nor will they ship to freight forwarders within the USA. You need a friend in the USA to receive it for you from that link.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann