La Marzocco Linea Mini vs. ECM Synchronika - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Brother_Bluto

#21: Post by Brother_Bluto »

5280grindz wrote:
Using a Sproline Foam Knife tip which has been great. No need to spin.
@5280grindz - is there an adapter required to use the Sproline Foam Knife tip on an ECM Synchronika?

Monsoon

#22: Post by Monsoon »

Stop and smell the roses, or coffee. It takes time to master the many skills required to make consistently good espresso drinks and to develop muscle memory for things like consistent tamping. Each machine or grinder change adds a whole new layer of complexities to the learning process. You have certainly got some quality equipment, enjoy the real fun part, developing your tastes and technique.

5280grindz

#23: Post by 5280grindz »

Brother_Bluto wrote:@5280grindz - is there an adapter required to use the Sproline Foam Knife tip on an ECM Synchronika?
Nope. Screws right on.

Pellman73

#24: Post by Pellman73 »

Monsoon wrote:Stop and smell the roses, or coffee. It takes time to master the many skills required to make consistently good espresso drinks and to develop muscle memory for things like consistent tamping. Each machine or grinder change adds a whole new layer of complexities to the learning process. You have certainly got some quality equipment, enjoy the real fun part, developing your tastes and technique.
yes I'm working on all these things

there's a lot to learn. I'm enjoying it

Pellman73

#25: Post by Pellman73 »

Update

I took the Teflon straw out of the synchronika w the help of my espresso miyagi Mitch at whole latte love and BINGO— synchronika froths closer to the LMLM

Flow out the group head is much higher on the LMLM so I feel like you have less room for error w tamping and whatnot (I think)

I still feel like the ECM is an Audi and the LMLM is a Ferrari. Like an AUDI sedan. Smooth ride. I feel a little more STRESS when I use the LMLM because I've got to be on my game a little more. W a bottomless portafilter if you eff up your tamp LOOKOUT! It's like an upside down old faithful! But still more fun. The ECM is more forgiving w pulling the shots. Milk steaming is now ALMOST as good on the ECM.

I do have the 4 hole tip for the ECM. Now w the stupid straw thing out of there I think it's a better machine.
Not sure why they have that in there. Who cares about being burned! I want milk stretching and swirlin' !

mitchvdb

#26: Post by mitchvdb »

Glad the Synchronika is working better for you with the no-burn tube removed!

RikC

#27: Post by RikC »

Nice story TS. Actually I was looking at the Synchronika. I really liked it's specifications but the price struck me as high.

Then I found about the LMLM..., and even though the it was quite a lot more expensive the price never bothered me. I just noticed that I really wanted to have it.

So yes, I think the car comparison is spot-on.

Pellman73

#28: Post by Pellman73 »

Update-

Ok so I've had both of these machines for a number of months now and I thought I'd update my thoughts-- and also a few notes on how I've been doing things.

I have the ECM at work and the LMLM at home. In both places I have a Eureka Atom Specialty 75. I had a Ceado grinder at work but once I got the Eureka at home I had to get one for work because it kicks so much ass.

I use it as a Single Dose grinder. I don't really want the beans sitting out. And it works GREAT as a Single Dose. I usually get pretty much what I put in.

I use one bean for now in both places-- Klatch WBC- I have it delivered every two weeks and keep in an Airscape canister- (but I've got a lyn Weber bean cellar coming- so I'm going to parse out about 21 grams into each vial because I figure every time I open the Airscape air hits it). I tell everyone I feel like beans are like McDonalds fries. They are so excellent when fresh and quickly lose a lot of their mojo. I'll be curious to see how fresh they stay w the bean cellar deal.

I dose out about 21 G (I have the big Acaia scale and then the lunar on both machines) BY THE WAY- ANYONE WITH A LMLM - YOU NEED TO GET THE AFTER MARKET TRAY THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PUT THE LUNAR IN IT- SO SWEET!

Grind is set as they suggest to get about 36G out of 20 (I'm usually at 21) in 24-26 seconds at 201 degrees. I use a 20gr VST baskets.

My tamping method is as follows. It's kinda two steps. I use An Asso Coffee Jack leveler followed by a PUSH tamper. I know you can use the Jack alone but I like a little extra pack. They work so beautifully together and its PERFECT every time. Very consistent

I use a bottomless portafilter. I honestly rarely have to change the grind on the machine because I stick to the same beans and with my tamping method channeling or other messy stuff just never happens. It's always a nice extraction....

I use Not Neutral cups. They are awesome!

So here's the biggest thing. I really thought about bringing the LMLM to work (because I make a latte every day after I do a case in the operating room (its a great thing to look forward to) and basically the LMLM is only used on the weekends (I know! Seems terrible. I thought my wife would be into it but she likes things more simple). I like the LMLM better. It's just such a joy to use. And its just a better machine in my opinion. The biggest difference was the steam wand. Always perfect and easy to get the milk churning w the LMLM and I had a hell of a time w the ECM. I had the two hole and 4 hole tips for the ECM and while I could do it w the 4 hole it just sometimes was not great and I had to like- concentrate more on getting it going right. So here was the game changer. I got a La Marzocco 4 hole tip and put it on the ECM and BINGO- it's just as good now as the LMLM.

So if you are between models get the LMLM. Spend the extra money. You'll be happy. If your budget says ECM and you want that machine- it's GREAT! You'll be happy too- but I highly recommend two things when you get it. One- take out the stupid teflon tube from the steam wand so you can get the power up and TWO- get yourself a La Marzocco steam tip- and you'll be golden!

I also upgraded my ECM w the walnut Panels, knobs and portafilter handles. Looks really beautiful now. I'll post pics if I can figure out how and someone wants to see.

KyleDrinksCoffee

#29: Post by KyleDrinksCoffee »

Pellman73 wrote:Ok so I've had both of these machines for a number of months now and I thought I'd update my thoughts-- and also a few notes on how I've been doing things.
Thanks for this! I'm currently in this dilemma. I'd love to save the money, but I don't want to regret my decision a couple years down the road. Especially with the cool new app coming for the Linea.

I'd love to see pics of both!

Pellman73

#30: Post by Pellman73 »

HI- here's the set up at work