La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 176

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
shakin_jake

#1751: Post by shakin_jake »

I'm thinking your coffee basket isn't full. Try filling it with more grounds. Also, it may be old school wisdom but you should start out with a benchmark. Strictly my opinion but, try shooting for a shot that takes 25 seconds to equal either an ounce of 3/4's of an ounce (ristretto). You do have a graduated shot glass right? Again, it's old school (Dr, Lily(SP?) yet, if you can achieve an exact ounce or 3/4 of an ounce (my fave) in 25 seconds of time, I'd say you're on to a good benchmark shot. Of course you will need to adjust your grinder to achieve this result. You do have at least a minimal spec espresso grinder right? BTW, my mini linea serial number is 000107. I bought it new in 2015 & have been pulling shots with it daily ever since. My grinder isn't the best by far but meets minimum specs (Mazzer Super Jolly). Others may have better and different ideas

Jaroslav

#1752: Post by Jaroslav »

Hi guys!

I think I've re-solved rattling cups on the cup tray for good.

I've tried literally everything so far - silicone pads, foam pads, silicone liners, you name it. At some point I just gave up the fight, left it without anything and let it rattle.

Inspired by the magnetic solution on Linea Micra's cup tray, I've ordered a few impressively strong, thin magnets to put under the grid/grate and see if that would help - and it actually does.

They're really strong for their size and the bond between the grid and the tray makes it feel as if it was one solid piece. Even the smallest cup on the tray does not make a sound no matter where I put it.

The magnets are almost unnoticeable against the polished tray.

If you're like me and get annoyed at that one unfortunately placed cup on the tray that rattles until you find a spot where it doesn't, maybe you'll appreciate the peace this will give you and perhaps give this a try. The rattling stopped for good, I'm delighted and had to share this.
Jaroslav

jrcdzn

#1753: Post by jrcdzn »

Thanks Jaroslav,

I, like you, am frustrated with the rattling I gave up putting anything on top of the machine for a while I even took off the grid cover.

Where did you source your magnets?

Recently, I ordered one of these https://wiedemann.coffee/collections/espressocover (no affiliation, someone got a rocket version and I thought it was cool so I got the LMLM version) and it made a huge difference. So far, no rattles, but I want to add the magnets.

Jaroslav

#1754: Post by Jaroslav replying to jrcdzn »

I think the cover is still a good idea if you want to keep scratches away, but I'm not sure how effective the heat transfer is.

I ordered these, basically N35 Neodymium magnets (20x20x2mm, rated up to 2.3kg). The rattling was literally the only thing that has ever bothered me about the machine, now it's perfect.
Jaroslav

cb
Supporter ♡

#1755: Post by cb »

Elegant solution. Could the magnetism, however, do something weird to the machine?

Jaroslav

#1756: Post by Jaroslav replying to cb »

I seriously doubt it. The electronic parts in the machine are far from the magnet's field. Safe distance for even the most delicate devices (such as credir cards, hearing aids or hard drives) is around 20mm with the magnets I use.
Jaroslav

jrcdzn

#1757: Post by jrcdzn »

Jaroslav,

I am sure physics does not favor heat transfer. However, I have not noticed any significant impact.

Thanks for the link and the specs.

I love the machine, and the rattling is less than ideal. Looking forward to the fix.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#1758: Post by Jshot »

Great idea. Will order some as well. Looks like I can also use these to hold in place a custom walnut base surround I made for the Mini. Magnets ought to hold in place as the surround wants to vibrate loose.

AidanC

#1759: Post by AidanC »

Where did you place the magnets ?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#1760: Post by RockyIII »

Back when I had a Mini, I took care of the rattling by using some small soft plastic self adhesive bumpers under the top cover.