La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 159

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ahmad H.

#1581: Post by Ahmad H. »

it's a game changer for the linea mini. i am wondering why they havent done that update since the machine came out??? because this is such a great feature for the machine.

haulin oats

#1582: Post by haulin oats »

LineaMurphy wrote:Anyone used the plumbed-in pre-infusion yet? I've been procrastinating on plumbing in the machine but this might push me to start the project.
it seems like you can test it out even without being plumbed in. You just need to set the machine to plumbed in mode, and then switch it on. there is enough pressure in the lines to allow the water to come out.

The part that I don't like about it compared to a needle valve mod, is that there is no third position on the paddle. It's still just off, and on. And you set the pre-infusion for a set amount of time, instead of when you see first drip like you do on a needle valve modded MINI, or a slayer etc.

LineaMurphy

#1583: Post by LineaMurphy »

Interesting, thank you for the info. Will have to test it out.

Jax67
Supporter ♡

#1584: Post by Jax67 »

I would be very curious if pre-infusion works without plumbing it in. I would think if the machine thinks its plumbed, and its not, could be issues?

haulin oats

#1585: Post by haulin oats replying to Jax67 »

it works, but you will not get a warning if your drip tray is low of water, so there is a risk of messing things up there. The blue light will no longer blink if it's empty.

Jaroslav

#1586: Post by Jaroslav »

I gave it a go. Here's what happens when you're not plumbed in:

5s Preinfusion:
Here's a quick shot with 20s preinfusion:

Sorry about the light (9:30pm here), nevermind the shot, but I'm wondering what's that bubbly sound at the beginning?
Jaroslav

Jake_G
Team HB

#1587: Post by Jake_G »

Jaroslav wrote:Sorry about the light (9:30pm here), nevermind the shot, but I'm wondering what's that bubbly sound at the beginning?
That bubbly sound is very likely from the fact that the pressure in the circuit comes from boiling the water in the HX that passes through the steam boiler.
LMWDP #704

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#1588: Post by Jshot »

If you use the new pre-infusion without being plumbed-in, what provides the pressure for the pre-infusion?

Jake_G
Team HB

#1589: Post by Jake_G »

The water boiling in the HX that passes through the steam boiler causes the pressure just the same as it makes steam pressure within the steam boiler.

When you open the brew valve, the water pressure drops and then the water in the HX boils and pushes the water in the IBG through the puck. You don't see any pressure on the brew gauge because the puck isn't generating any back pressure, but the water is flowing.
LMWDP #704

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#1590: Post by Jshot »

Fascinating. Thanks. Is it considered worthwhile to use the feature without plumbing in? Would be awesome...