La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 144

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Howard Alan Treesong

#1431: Post by Howard Alan Treesong »

flip wrote:For me it makes a lot of difference, but it depends on what coffee you like. If you drink medium roasts it's probably not worth it. For medium roasts I always prefer the "straight" to full pressure shot.
Many thanks, exactly the information I was after, very comprehensive.

I'm strictly a medium/dark roast man, none of that third wave orange juice for me I'm afraid. I like the idea of adding functionality to my LMLM, but if I'm not going to use it, then I would see it as unnecessary, one of the attractions of the LMLM in the first place. The paddle, really is crying out for full pressure profiling, however I doubt LM would compromise potential GS3 sales by introducing this in any future updated LMLM, but I can see them potentially going down the pre-infusion/flow profiling route as a compromise and a nod to changing tastes and direction in espresso. I see Sprometheus in his YT channel has finally given his LMLM the push for a GS3...at least he stayed with LM.

Again, many thanks indeed.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#1432: Post by Jshot »

Howard Alan Treesong wrote:Many thanks, exactly the information I was after, very comprehensive.

The paddle, really is crying out for full pressure profiling, however I doubt LM would compromise potential GS3 sales by introducing this in any future updated LMLM, but I can see them potentially going down the pre-infusion/flow profiling route as a compromise and a nod to changing tastes and direction in espresso.

Again, many thanks indeed.

Ahhh, but you can achieve pressure profiling with the Linea Mini. There's a mod for that too. (Rick Bond EMP mod)

This is why I love the Linea Mini. Out of the box it is made for medium to dark roasts. If I ever venture to light, I can modify as desired. The machine is the perfect platform.

flip

#1433: Post by flip »

Jshot wrote: This is why I love the Linea Mini. Out of the box it is made for medium to dark roasts. If I ever venture to light, I can modify as desired. The machine is the perfect platform.
TBH I bought it used intending to mod it ASAP, but I was impressed how well it handles light to medium roast with no modification (except the .6 flow restrictor). Don't bother with the preinfusion mod for dark roast, better spend the money on some nice wooden parts for the machine :)

Epicurus

#1434: Post by Epicurus replying to flip »

Do you think the .6 restrictor helped in any way? Even for lighter roasts?

flip

#1435: Post by flip »

I did not use the machine with the original one so I cannot compare it. But when I got it I had to step up my puck prep routine as I had channeling issues which I did not have with my old E61 machine (with its "natural" preinfusion). I imagine having a bigger water debit would only make these worse.

MESS

#1436: Post by MESS »

Epicurus wrote:Do you think the .6 restrictor helped in any way? Even for lighter roasts?
The .6 restrictor and the Voltage 6 Hole Diffuser Screw helped slow down the pressure ramp-up and significantly reduced channeling on my LMLM. I am now getting better extractions with light roasts.

haulin oats

#1437: Post by haulin oats »

I've just received my Grafikus needle valve kit. Previously, I had installed the 0.6mm gicleur and turned the pressure down to 6 bar from 9.

When I install the needle valve kit, should I put the 0.8mm gicleur back in, and turn the pressure back up?

-Steve

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#1438: Post by Jshot »

With the needle valve mod, the smaller restrictor is recommended.

The pump pressure is up to you. I'd go back to 9 and see how you like it with the needle valve.

Just my 2 cents.

EagleRock

#1439: Post by EagleRock »

Linea mini new app update was on show in WOC, an automatic cleaning feature, disable steam boiler and of course the updated Pre brewing if you have the machine plumbed.

flip

#1440: Post by flip »

Awesome! Automatic cleaning feature was a no brainer. I'm curious if temperature stability won't be affected with the steam boiler disabled though...