La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 114

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sluflyer06

#1131: Post by sluflyer06 »

Arafel wrote:Rick Bond at the Coffee Machinist also sells his kit for a needle valve mod, I think.
His site says the setup is too complex and will only be installed at his shop with no plans to sell a kit.

exidrion

#1132: Post by exidrion »

Can someone explain to me what both the Needle valve and Gear pump mod do in simpleton terms please? :oops:

sluflyer06

#1133: Post by sluflyer06 » replying to exidrion »

They're both flow control methods, gear pumps are variable speed so you can slow them down to control flow. The needle valce basically makes it a slayer with off - prebrew circuit with needle and brew mode.

Gear pump might be more involved if there isn't a turn key kit like you can get for needle

Jshot

#1134: Post by Jshot »

I think Rick Bond will sell the kit, providing the buyer has the ability to perform the installation.

That said, does anyone know what the differences are between his needle valve kit and Grafikus?

Arafel

#1135: Post by Arafel »

sluflyer06 wrote:His site says the setup is too complex and will only be installed at his shop with no plans to sell a kit.
I know he's sold it at least once, but I think you have demonstrate to him that you some basic knowledge about machine internals.

stump007

#1136: Post by stump007 »

Quoting his website directly:
At this stage the installed modification is only available for machines brought to my workshop, and there are no plans to distribute a kit as modifications of factory parts, plumbing and electrical connections are required. If you are confident to handle this work as a DIY install, please contact me for pricing and availability. Alternatively you could contact a trusted technician local to you to perform the install work with my instructions. The modification is available for both 230V and 110V machines.
I think for your average Joe trying to diy, Grafikus is the mod to go.

stump007

#1137: Post by stump007 »

Btw, I have a stupid question now that I think about it - how do these mods differ from the pre-infusion offered in the app?

Epicurus

#1138: Post by Epicurus » replying to stump007 »

The "pre-infusion" in the app is really more of a pre-brew. It applies the same level of pressure (9 bar) for the programmed pre-brew time, then pauses, and then finally continues for the remainder of your pull. Pre-infusion should apply a much lower level of pressure (~3 bar), or flow rate, to saturate the puck before ramping up to full pressure/flow.

sluflyer06

#1139: Post by sluflyer06 »

Epicurus wrote:The "pre-infusion" in the app is really more of a pre-brew. It applies the same level of pressure (9 bar) for the programmed pre-brew time, then pauses, and then finally continues for the remainder of your pull. Pre-infusion should apply a much lower level of pressure (~3 bar), or flow rate, to saturate the puck before ramping up to full pressure/flow.
Does it keep the 3way valve in the same position? Or is it literally the same thing as slapping the paddle on and off. Because when this first came out that was my understanding is they were basically just doing that.

Also just to maybe suggest that when talking about preinfusion we probably shouldn't use slayers terminology for their preinfusion phase in reference to the LMLM since it might confuse new readers that it actually does do real preinfusion. Dont take it the wrong way, just trying to suggest a way to avoid confusing the two.

Epicurus

#1140: Post by Epicurus »

Yes, it's the same as slapping the paddle on and off, so you could technically do the same thing as the app if you flipped the paddle back and forth a few times. The needle valve mod (Slayer style) does pre-infusion by regulating the flow rate to saturate the puck (though the pump pressure remains the same). The gear pump mod (Strada style) is different in that you can regulate pressure throughout any part of the extraction using the variable speed pump. Flow profiling and pressure profiling are two different things.

For example, the LM GS/3 MP is much more of a flow profiling machine (though kind of a hybrid) since the pump always remain at the same speed, but you control how much flow hits the puck by raising and lowering the conical valve in the group with the paddle.