La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 108

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MJKBSC

#1071: Post by MJKBSC »

Do LMLM and E61 make same quality espresso shots

pcrussell50

#1072: Post by pcrussell50 replying to MJKBSC »

If you make espresso that is dependent on having the exact temperature you set, the same temperature every time, that remains the same throughout the pull, you will have an easier time of it with the LMLM. Not that it can't be done with E61. Just requires more ritual. OTOH, if you are not given to modifying, the other machines you mentioned will offer flow control, while the LMLM won't.

Which is more important to you?

-Peter
LMWDP #553

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#1073: Post by dparrish »

MJKBSC wrote:Do LMLM and E61 make same quality espresso shots
I just transitioned from an E61 machine to the Linea Mini. I can only tell you that in my particular case, and with the level of experience I now have, the LMLM makes consistently superior shots, both in terms of the espresso and (once you get used to it) the micro foam. The brew temperature in particular on the Linea Mini has been stunningly stable compared to my old machine. Now, for the first time, I am getting the same quality level shots as the best cafe coffee (also often served on a LM machine). Was my E61 machine that bad? Certainly not, I got some really good coffee using it. But the LMLM is a good step above, IMO. But you have to make the decision as to whether the price difference is worth it to you, and admittedly I have't delved into pressure profiling, as I'm not really into the benefits it offers for 3rd wave lighter blends (though I know the lever-type emulation could work for other coffees as well).

namelessone

#1074: Post by namelessone »

With the LM, I have the stock baskets (in various sizes - 17g, 21g etc) and I also have an 18g VST basket.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the stock baskets? is it 58.5mm? I have a Motta "distributor" which doesn't seem to fit to in the VST basket, but fits snug into the stock baskets. I'd like to get a flat tamper instead of the curved one, just want to make sure it's the correct size.

Are there any advantages to using the VST baskets over the stock ones?

pcrussell50

#1075: Post by pcrussell50 »

namelessone wrote: Are there any advantages to using the VST baskets over the stock ones?
VST baskets have lots of hole area, so they flow faster than conventional baskets, thereby requiring a finer grind. For some coffees this is something you might want if you are having trouble dialing in a new bean with the stock baskets. I keep both stock and VST baskets in my barista kit, for most flexibility. Fast baskets tend to be more finicky when it comes to prep, being more prone to channeling and spritzing.

HTH

This does not apply to you but for the benefit of anybody else reading this, machines with flow control generally have less use for fast flowing baskets like VST.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Jeff
Team HB

#1076: Post by Jeff »

La Marzocco "precision" baskets are likely made by the same OEM as VST baskets, so the "precision" is likely comparable. They may have a slightly different hole size and configuration. My ancient Strada baskets seem to behave similarly to my VST baskets of similar sizes. I have not seen the stock LMLM baskets myself to be able to judge.

I'm surprised that a standard tool doesn't fit what many consider to be the canonical precision basket. That's probably worth checking on in general.

PForPho

#1077: Post by PForPho »

Finally decided to get the LMLM after months of choosing between the linea, bianca and decent.

How is the stock tamper? I've seen some say that it leaves the out edges untamped. Would appreciate a suggestion for a good tamper if that's the case and maybe a distributor. I've been thinking about the LM's branded saint Anthony wedge tool.

Also is the non-burn wand on all machines now? I'm trying to decide which dealer to get from in NA as well.

Thanks!

yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#1078: Post by yertchuk replying to PForPho »

I use the stock convex tamper, after WDT and a few taps to level the grounds. No additional leveling. Naked portafilter output nearly always looks great. I have tried a conventional flat tamper and also a leveler, but if anything results were not as good.

I believe US machines come without the non-burn wand. Other markets do get it, as I understand.

Tzuyu

#1079: Post by Tzuyu »

PForPho wrote:Finally decided to get the LMLM after months of choosing between the linea, bianca and decent.

How is the stock tamper? I've seen some say that it leaves the out edges untamped. Would appreciate a suggestion for a good tamper if that's the case and maybe a distributor. I've been thinking about the LM's branded saint Anthony wedge tool.

Also is the non-burn wand on all machines now? I'm trying to decide which dealer to get from in NA as well.

Thanks!
You should purchase directly from la marzocco website, also it's a good time to purchase right know it's $5,100 save $300.

jpschust

#1080: Post by jpschust replying to Tzuyu »

Honestly, if you take the time to send notes out to some of the major distributors you should be able to get a bit more knocked off- possibly sales tax and some extra goodies.