La Marzocco Linea Mini User Experience - Page 103

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
autotrader

#1021: Post by autotrader »

Miringanes wrote:I'm on the fence about a LMLM. By on the fence I really mean It's a matter of when, not if. I have an Appartamento and a Sette 270 thats been serving me just fine but I'm really getting bored of the appartamento. I've determined something like a gs3 is more than I really want at home especially since I'm still renting (I'd probably consider it once I buy). Right now I would love the extra temp stability and build quality of the LMLM.

Has anyone with a LMLM made a similar upgrade and do you have any thoughts?
I went from an ECM Tichnika IV to an LMLM. The LM is a fantastic piece of kit and very solid. The ECM was 5 years old and starting to show issues and I figured by the time I ship it to the repair guy it could be a major bill at some point so justified the upgrade that way.

To be honest, the bigger upgrade was going from a Mazzer Mini to a Eureka Speciality 75. The grinder made much more difference than the machine but if you can afford it with out too much sweat go for the LMLM, it's all the machine you could ever want in a home for most people. It's awesome!

Honestly though, you might not notice a big taste difference in the cup at all. The Grinder might be a better upgrade but I know the feeling when you just want an upgrade!

Miringanes

#1022: Post by Miringanes » replying to autotrader »

I've been looking at the atom as well but I'm not sure how good it is for single dosing and that's currently what I'm doing with the Sette (to preserve bean freshness, I drink a shot a day). I feel like once I get past Atom price range into something like the monolith/eg-1 I'm going to rapidly hit a point if diminishing returns. I don't want to derail this thread with grinder talk though.

What kind of water is everyone using in the LMLM? La Marzocco has recommended I use Poland Spring (I'm North East NYC metro area)

khiz

#1023: Post by khiz »

Hi guys. I got a new bottomless portafilter for my Mini and whenever I use the bottomless, I get a lot of water leaking from outside the portafilter. I am not talking channeling or anything like that. Typically, I'd just chalk this up to a bad gasket or something but it's a new machine (3 months old), and it works just fine with the other portafilter. I've also gone through and cleaned everything just to be sure.
To be clear, it still works fine with my stock portafilter.

Any ideas what might be going on? I tried using the portafilter spring (the little metal wire insert) from the stock basket in my new portafilter and same deal.

Here are two examples, one more severe than the other. Thanks for any help!

https://i.imgur.com/iQ1t5yL.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/jNidPnq.mp4

edit: shortly after posting I decided to e-mail La Marzocco support and they had the following to say:
Going to leave this here in case it helps anyone else.

"This is a very, very common issue. The bottomless portafilter has slightly thinner ears and needs to be tightened more than the stainless portafilter. The portafilter seals on the rim of the basket rather than the portafilter itself, so if it's leaking from between bayonet ring and the portafilter, it's a case of not putting enough oomph on the portafiler.

Please remember that this machine is designed to be used hundreds of times a day by a professional barista. You will not damage the machine by using more force to seal the portafilter."

pcrussell50

#1024: Post by pcrussell50 »

This is a very, very common issue. The bottomless portafilter has slightly thinner ears and needs to be tightened more than the stainless portafilter. The portafilter seals on the rim of the basket rather than the portafilter itself, so if it's leaking from between bayonet ring and the portafilter, it's a case of not putting enough oomph on the portafiler.

Please remember that this machine is designed to be used hundreds of times a day by a professional barista. You will not damage the machine by using more force to seal the portafilter."
The bottomless portafilter is not stainless? That's kind of a bummer.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Wattbe

#1025: Post by Wattbe » replying to pcrussell50 »

Hi Peter,

My LM bottomless PF isn't stainless either - I don't think it needs to be or makes a difference as, unlike a spouted PF, the coffee will never come into contact with it.

Cheers,

Ben

blondica73

#1026: Post by blondica73 » replying to Wattbe »

Wow, I noticed chrome on the ear of the bottomless portafilter too and I was going to ask. For the life in me, I don't understand why not.

pcrussell50

#1027: Post by pcrussell50 »

Wattbe wrote:Hi Peter,

My LM bottomless PF isn't stainless either - I don't think it needs to be or makes a difference as, unlike a spouted PF, the coffee will never come into contact with it.

Cheers,

Ben
Irrefutably logical. And solid stainless is not without it's considerations. My machine uses solid stainless portafilters and more conventional, non-ferrous metals for the group. So... they had to come up with a scheme of "consumable" plastic inserts which will eventually wear away and need replacement, instead of eventually wearing a way the metal of the group.

Even though my pump machine has stainless portafilters and boilers, I'm not actually not one who worries about the more traditional, copper and brass. My levers are brass and copper and I never give it a second thought.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Nimitzg

#1028: Post by Nimitzg »

Hey guys ,
A usage update after 2 weeks with the LMLM.
Well mechanicaly wise the quality of this machine is just stunning.
Its the small stuff you feal while using it.
Everything feels so robust and well designed.
For examle the steam valve...seems there is an electric part or mechanical that prevent milk beeing sucked in,so when closing the valve you feel that.
The brew pump feels also like a very robust part that works so fluently well.
Its just fun keeping this fine machine maintained (backflushing,brushing,replacing parts)
Its a treat.

And dialing-in is so nice.you just lock-in your parameters and change each one untill getting there. Pure fun.

BladeAndStone

#1029: Post by BladeAndStone »

RikC wrote:Well... it's done!

Took I little of experimenting with the tubing. Important to make sure both resevoirs have the same length tube going to them as to not have pressure differences due to line resistance... with small pressure differences like this that starts to matter. I first had a short line to the internal reservoir and a long one to the external one but the internal reservoir didn't fill when I put water in the external one. Changed it around (the external reservoir already has some extra line length before the 10 to 6mm adapter below the closing valve) and voila problem solved.

I takes a minute or two to five for the water levels to equalize due to the limited 6mm inner tube diameter. So it's actually usefull to have a higher reservoir so you can overfill it (as long as you know how much you can put in... the maximum plus the internal reservoir capacity I'll have to determine that). In the beginning this goes faster due to larger height differences in both resevoirs (about 10 seconds for the low water water light to stop flashing). So RockyIII as to your observation, it works! :D

Once you start brewing equalisation goes much faster so the low water functionality works flawlessly. I was actually getting impatient for it to drain to where the low water indication light goes on so I could determine the minimum level on the external reservoir... first time I had that experience with the LMLM :mrgreen: I've measured it and it doubles the normal capacity (1,9l from low water indication to full) 8)

N.b. 1 I used 9x6mm clear pvc tubing instead of silocone as mentioned earlier. No need for clamps it appears, no leaks.

N.b. 2 So a valuable conclusion of this 'prototype' is that a wider line diameter (10mm instead of 6mm) up to a possibly including the T-piece would be prefered if it would be developed further.

N.b. 3 As a last note, and that is the nice part, no modifactions to the machine are needed. Just disconecting the tube from the reservoir and connecting a T-section inbetween, thats it.

Going to first enjoy it now!

Do you think instead of the 3-way Tee you could just leave the original reservoir filled to trick the machine then attach a longer line from the machine into to the aftermarket larger reservoir? This would allow the LM pump to pull water directly from the new water source instead of gravity feeding the original reservoir. What do you think?

antonioriojas90

#1030: Post by antonioriojas90 »

Hey everyone! I'm going to get a custom portafilter stand for my LMLM, but I'm not near my machine and they're asking me for the measurements. Does anyone have precise measurements of the LM bottomless portafilter?