La Marzocco Linea Mini Tech Tip

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics

Postby erics » Feb 08, 2019, 7:25 pm

I replaced the internal parts on the vacuum relief valve for a friend's machine. In doing so, you need to remove the cup warming tray and then the top cover of the machine (6 Phillips screws with a No. 2 screwdriver).

This top cover has two enlarged holes at the rear which allow the cover to sit flush. These holes expose the two Phillips screws holding the cover for the SSR (and maybe other electrics). I had to remove the right one because it was also holding the top cover on. This is NOT the way it was intended.

Out of warranty, the easy solution is to enlarge the small hole with a bit like so:

The top cover will then be flush as was intended.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at erols dot com

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » Feb 09, 2019, 9:38 am

Mine does not have the 2nd enlarged hole, I have the tools to fix it. But what improvement (s) am I looking for?

erics

Postby erics » Feb 09, 2019, 11:20 am

Well, when you remove the top cover for access to anything for maintenance/repair, you should have had a relatively rough time with the screw without the enlarged hole.
Skål,

Eric S.

sluflyer06

Postby sluflyer06 » replying to erics » Feb 09, 2019, 11:35 am

Comes right out like it was meant to be that way for me, i never noticed anything amiss.

What I'd like it to eliminate cup tray rattles somehow, I've lined the inside of the 3 panel body with butyl deadening, I've even got some under the cup tray where ever holes aren't there. No lines are touching the body...

I've considered outboarding the pump as a solution.

mrespresso23

Postby mrespresso23 » Feb 09, 2019, 3:43 pm

erics wrote:Well, when you remove the top cover for access to anything for maintenance/repair, you should have had a relatively rough time with the screw without the enlarged hole.

Interesting. So you are saying that the two screws that hold that electric unit should have had an enlarged holes?

Mine came with one enlarged and one that is held by the top cover.

erics

Postby erics » Feb 09, 2019, 4:29 pm

So you are saying that the two screws that hold that electric unit should have had an enlarged holes?

Absolutely.

One of my previous responses implied that it was difficult to remove that one particular screw. Well, that is certainly NOT the case. It was relatively difficult for me to reinstall it.

There should be six screws holding the top cover on, not seven. I discussed this with LM-USA and they certainly agreed.
Skål,

Eric S.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Feb 09, 2019, 5:03 pm

Honestly, I can't see any reason to cut holes in the lid. The logic box will hang fine on the one screw.

Since they're all made that way, clearly LaMarzocco intended it to be so.

The goofy one is placing the screw behind the motor mount on the bottom. I think they goofed on that one, and corrected it later production.

erics

Postby erics » Feb 09, 2019, 5:20 pm

Since they're all made that way, clearly LaMarzocco intended it to be so.

They are not all made that way. Give LM-USA a call and see what they have to say.
The logic box will hang fine on the one screw.

I agree. It is the reinstall of that one screw which can be problematic. But if one has no problem with it, that's great.
Skål,

Eric S.

mrespresso23

Postby mrespresso23 » Feb 10, 2019, 6:07 am

I have had no problem reinstalling the cover with the long screw thus far.

It does sound however like a manufacturing issue, and the question is whether "fixing" it will make the cover and tray sit better which ultimately will reduce the tray rattle.

BTW if indeed this was a manufacturing error, then I think it is up to La Marzocco to fix it rather than expecting their users to enlarge the hole on their own.