La Marzocco Linea Mini Slayer Mod

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by blondica73 »

I followed the discussion on the link below from Nicolas and others and I wondered where is he now with the mod.
La Marzocco Linea Mini shot timer, automatic backflushing and flow profiling mods

Any issues you encountered that we should be aware of? Did you miniaturize the flow mod? Are you happy with the mod?

Ahmad H.

#2: Post by Ahmad H. »

I posted this recently. A slayer mod for the linea mini. Fully functioning and working perfect.

<missing video>

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

It looks slightly different from the previous thread, a little more intrusive as the additional hardware was added at the brewhead, something Nicolas was contemplating. Thank you for sharing.

PForPho

#4: Post by PForPho »

Ahmad H. wrote:I posted this recently. A slayer mod for the linea mini. Fully functioning and working perfect.
That looks great. Glad to see there's more development into this. Are you thinking about putting together a list of parts we would need to do this?

Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 (original poster) » replying to PForPho »

That's a purchased kit from grafikus for 500 euros.
https://grafikus-coffeetec.de/produkt/l ... entil-kit/
If you plan on building your own kit based on the previous thread, you end up spending just a little less, but have a lot more work. The solenoid (needs 120V coil not 12V if you want to make it work without the Arduino) costs about $150, the needle valve is also around $150, plus tools and connectors another $50-$100.

Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

i tried the mod without the Arduino by using a 110V coil for the solenoid, the mechanical assembly is brilliant and easy to follow. Probably there was a change in the paddle design as the 3D switch assembly did not work as suggested, I could never close the additional switch once everything was assembled. I wish I was a little more versed with 3D CAD to redesign it, but for now I have a temporary fix to trigger the lower flow rate (4-5 ml/s).

Supporter ❤

#7: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

See a shot I pulled this morning with a 4 ml/s constant flow rate for the duration of the extraction.

Ahmad H.

#8: Post by Ahmad H. »

Correct, the kit was good though not easy to install. I have my at around 2 g/s.

Any advice you have with this? I'm still playing with the settings and checking for issues. None so far.

Supporter ❤

#9: Post by blondica73 (original poster) » replying to Ahmad H. »

Try adjusting the flow rate to 4 g/s and run the entire extraction at the flowrate and see how you like the coffee. you might need to make a few grinding adjustments to get your desire ratio. Or if you would like to keep the flow rate at 2 g/s, run the preinfusion for 5 seconds for a dark roast or 7-8 seconds for a light roast then go full pressure.

One caveat is that I installed the 0.6m gicleur; therefore, the full pressure flowrate is about 8 g/s.

Ahmad H.

#10: Post by Ahmad H. »

wouldn't that make the pressure on the puck so low to do a proper extraction?

i'm playing with "slayer style" shots and having good results so far. i also have changed the flow restrictor to .6mm.