La Marzocco Linea Mini Pro Touch Steam Wand - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
bluesman

#31: Post by bluesman » Nov 30, 2019, 10:29 pm

MikFlores300 wrote:I'm interested in it just for the ease of use. The videos I've seen demoing it show you can hold it tight in your hand for longer than you'll ever need to and it won't burn.
I don't recall ever needing to hold my steam wand tightly in my hand. Why would you need to do that?

barNone

#32: Post by barNone » replying to bluesman » Dec 01, 2019, 12:05 am

That demonstration was likely just to show how effective the insulation is. Of course the wand will still heat up on the outside when steaming milk: the question is does it stay cool enough not to burn the milk on, because that makes cleaning tougher. At my work, the commercial super auto's burn-me wand gets so hot that the rubber insulator is almost untouchable for long and the milk burns very quickly onto the wand: the many ridges on the steam tip doesn't help with all the nooks and crannies either.

I have no experience with the LMLM's burn-me wand. How are they for burning milk on/cleaning? Also, I would like to hear from folks in Australia and the UK who get the pro touch wands standard on their machines.

Terranova
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Terranova » Dec 01, 2019, 1:50 pm

The pro touch wand uses stainless steel double wall technology to ensure no heat is transferred to the exterior of the wand, still perfoming the same like a "burn me wand".

Production of that part is quiet elaborate but then sometimes you want to build something really cool and innovative.
Long story short, nobody is happy about the price, in particular La Marzocco and the customer but every new Linea Mini will have that steam wand and also the IoT without any extra costs. (at least on this side of the river)

I suppose the price for all their machines will go up in spring anyways :-)

bluesman

#34: Post by bluesman » Dec 02, 2019, 9:32 pm

Terranova wrote:The pro touch wand uses stainless steel double wall technology to ensure no heat is transferred to the exterior of the wand
Although I see no need for it for myself, I understand the potential allure of this idea. But the simple truth is that it can not "...ensure no heat is transferred to the exterior of the wand". It simply slows the rate of heat transfer to the SS of the outer layer. If you make a few back to back milk drinks with it, it will heat up enough to be uncomfortable to touch.

We are provided no data to tell us the temp rise after steaming a given amount of milk a specified number of times, or the max temp it will reach after a specified amount of use. But if you make half a dozen back to back cappuccinos or lattes, it will be hot.

Wattbe

#35: Post by Wattbe » Dec 03, 2019, 5:06 pm

If it's the same design as the one on the newer GS/3's, I can confirm that it does indeed stay very cool.
I was sceptical when I first got the machine so I ran the steam wand for a minute to test and it didn't even get warm.
The only place it didn't stay completely cool was where the steam tip threads into the steam wand at the base and also right where it attaches to the ball joint at the top of the machine. Everywhere else it stayed below skin temperature.
I've since made multiple back to back milk drinks when entertaining and I don't even think about it any more.

SteveRhinehart

#36: Post by SteveRhinehart » Dec 04, 2019, 12:55 pm

Here's video proof that the KB90 wand doesn't get hot enough to burn when running full blast for a minute: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highl ... 022839918/ (Instagram story highlight)

I haven't yet used the LMLM wand, but the GS3 wand and the KB90 wand perform the same in my experience. The steam tip gets ripping hot and will burn you right away, but the tube itself only gets as hot as your steamed milk does. I would not expect it to be uncomfortably hot during normal use, perhaps only so with extremely high volume use.

As for price and availability, LM Home hasn't given any indication that this or the connectivity will be standard features. If they both do become standard, I would expect about a $1000 or more increase in list price.

barNone

#37: Post by barNone » Dec 04, 2019, 1:44 pm

SteveRhinehart wrote:As for price and availability, LM Home hasn't given any indication that this or the connectivity will be standard features. If they both do become standard, I would expect about a $1000 or more increase in list price.
https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/product/ ... steam-wand

^^^ Right from LM Home's own site, it's a $700 option on custom orders.

If they made the new pro touch wand standard and forced the $700 increase onward, it would price out some people who are on the edge of buying a machine that is already $4900 with the traditional wand. Sad to say, having the new wand as an option doesn't seem so bad anymore. :?

Thanks for the detailed feedback about the other LM steam wand tips getting quite hot. That's where most of the difficulty cleaning burnt milk off the wand would be with all the corners and such.

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by blondica73 » replying to barNone » Dec 04, 2019, 2:58 pm

Some upgrades are worth the cost, some are not. Each person needs to make the decision, just as some believe the Linea Mini is worth $4,900 and some don't.

bluesman

#39: Post by bluesman » Dec 04, 2019, 3:03 pm

barNone wrote:Thanks for the detailed feedback about the other LM steam wand tips getting quite hot. That's where most of the difficulty cleaning burnt milk off the wand would be with all the corners and such.
I've adopted a work flow that's kept my steam wands free of crud. I keep a stack of plush white washcloths at my "coffee station" exclusively for the wand. I fold one into quarters and wet the fold at the center with water from a cooling flush (or water wand, as the case may be). I purge the steam wand into the same area before steaming, and I wipe / purge the wand with the wet cloth immediately after the milk is ready.

The secret seems to be making sure the cloth is truly wet and cleaning the wand immediately after steaming. I have found that this is less successful on cheaper machines, but the surface finish on an ECM, LM or similar wand seems to be easier to wipe clean. It even feels a bit more slick than the wands on more basic machines.

FWIW, I remove the "no burn" liner from my steam wands because it compromises flow. The LM approach obviates this concern, and (despite only suffering a few minor burns over the years) I wouldn't rip it off if they gave me one :D

nuketopia

#40: Post by nuketopia » Dec 04, 2019, 4:58 pm

The LMLM steam wand has a vacuum breaker valve. When you shut off the steam pressure, you can hear it click. It is there to prevent milk being sucked back up the wand. This is not a common feature on consumer/prosumer level espresso machines.

I too, keep a cloth specific for wand cleaning near the machine. It is not used for wiping anything else - just like at a real espresso bar.

I have owned airplanes for decades - and I have to say, $700 for a 4 inch long steam wand is right up there with aircraft parts pricing. In fact, it may be even surpass it. I've certainly bought more critical stainless fuel injection tubing of similar construction for far less.

I see it is a double-wall stainless wand. Honestly though, I can't fathom why it would be that expensive and difficult to fabricate. But what do I know. Maybe they're all made one at a time by master craftsmen in Italy using tooling made of unicorn horns.