La Marzocco Linea Mini Pro Touch Steam Wand - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
autotrader

#11: Post by autotrader » Aug 19, 2019, 10:12 pm

Wow, this sounds like an upgrade that literally nobody asked for. It's not like anyone would say I'm not buying an LMLM because it doesn't have a no burn steam wand. Seems like a very strange iteration. As another user posted, a shot clock would have been an obvious one that people might appreciate or preinfusion adjustability.

The burn wand has never bothered me, not even once and I had a no burn wand on my last machine

nuketopia

#12: Post by nuketopia » Aug 19, 2019, 10:40 pm

I would actually really like a no-burn wand for my LMLM. But $800 seems like a big chunk of money. That's about 20% of the cost of the machine itself.

Maybe it's a lot more than a wand, I don't know. Maybe the price is not quoted right.

keno

#13: Post by keno » Aug 20, 2019, 12:54 am

After 4+ years of using my Linea Mini and making well over 4000 drinks on it I've yet to once burn myself on the steam wand. At this point I feel I have the workflow and wand technique programmed into my DNA so for $800 I think I'll stick with the stock wand. I can think of better things to do with $800.

sluflyer06

#14: Post by sluflyer06 » Aug 20, 2019, 9:15 am

tglodjo wrote:, I'd stick with the burn-me wand because they're much better for consistent steaming in my experience, but still....that's an insane upgrade price.
That's sort of their schtick, it's a no burn wand with the performance of a burn wand, it's not your typical little plastic tube inside a metal wand setup, it's double walled large diameter SS.

Anyway yea, I can't fathom spending more than $300 on it...I don't NEED it, but I do have a 3 year old who has become insistent on helping make morning espressos, he's actually got all the steps memorized and everything, so it would add a safety factor if he randomly grabs the steam wand for some reason.

I'll also give it a couple months and get back in touch with them and see if the pricing Dave@LM gave me was correct because it's disproportionately expensive compared to the MSRP of the entire machine.

bluesman

#15: Post by bluesman » Aug 20, 2019, 10:02 am

sluflyer06 wrote: I do have a 3 year old who has become insistent on helping make morning espressos, he's actually got all the steps memorized and everything, so it would add a safety factor if he randomly grabs the steam wand for some reason.
The "no burn" wands I've had or gotten to try do not stay cool - they just slow and limit their temp rise a bit. This may reduce thermal injury if grabbed, but it's not burn-free. It somewhat reduces the probability, depth and severity of a burn if a child grabs it. But unless LM has something new up the sleeve, that wand will still get hot.

If you're only making espresso and not steaming milk, the wand should be cold anyway.

sluflyer06

#16: Post by sluflyer06 » replying to bluesman » Aug 20, 2019, 11:22 am

It something new(er), I think maybe one other company is doing it that I know of. I haven't personally been able to demo a pro touch wand from LM but generally I would assume it will not be cold, simply not 200F, and also not hot enough to burn the milk on to it, I think that's all people expect? Mute anyway, unless it's sold for reasonable price.

ira
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by ira » Aug 20, 2019, 3:00 pm

If they figured out how to keep the inner wall perfectly centered in the outer wand and then vacuumed all the air out or filled the space with Aerogel it might actually stay cool, but still, $800, hard to imagine anyone cares that much.

Ira

RikC

#18: Post by RikC » Aug 20, 2019, 4:52 pm

Maybe the $800 is including installation?

Even then it strikes me as a bit silly.

bluesman

#19: Post by bluesman » Aug 20, 2019, 9:42 pm

sluflyer06 wrote:It something new(er), I think maybe one other company is doing it that I know of. I haven't personally been able to demo a pro touch wand from LM but generally I would assume it will not be cold, simply not 200F, and also not hot enough to burn the milk on to it, I think that's all people expect? Mute anyway, unless it's sold for reasonable price.
Sorry for any confusion - I was addressing the issue of keeping Sluflyer06's 3 year old safe. I agree that lower wand temps will help keep it cleaner if milk is left on it. But all it takes to keep a standard wand milk-free is a good wipe or two with a hot moist towel immediately after steaming the milk. I keep a thick white washcloth folded on the counter and wet the center of it with a cup of the cooling flush. Purging the wand into the wet patch heats it before making successive drinks if no flush is needed.

jpsm

#20: Post by jpsm » Aug 26, 2019, 11:09 pm

Got to play with it at an expo and I love the new cool touch wand. I played around with a mini with the old wand a couple of days before the expo too and it was so hot to touch! The machine was being used in a commercial setting and might explain why it was very hot(?) the barista was literally using a thick folded barista cloth to handle the steamwand. Still 800usd is a lot of coin for just that upgrade!