La Marzocco Linea Mini owners - Do you feel you're missing out on preinfusion?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Apr 06, 2018, 7:51 pm

Title.

dsblv

Postby dsblv » Apr 06, 2018, 8:38 pm

Well, the Mini does have a short preinfusion of 2 seconds. It's just not adjustable. I'm getting excellent results with the machine as-is, so I'm not missing any additional preinfusion capabilities. No channeling and the shots are much better than the HX I previously owned.

Before buying the machine, I got a demo from Dave at La Marzocco Home and asked him about preinfusion. He said that during development, the 2 second preinfusion time provided best results. Their engineers didn't see an advantage of longer preinfusion times. So, that was good enough for me.

ben8jam

Postby ben8jam » Apr 06, 2018, 8:59 pm

I think the owner of the local shop to me said pressure profiling wasn't that big of a deal and he has a set preinfusuin on his Linea PB machine.

I don't think I'd be too concerned with profiling if I were getting excellent results.

gocanes

Postby gocanes » Apr 06, 2018, 9:17 pm

The analog espresso machine. Designed to just get out of your way. That's how LM markets it at least. Nothing to tinker with, just consistently outputs espresso that accurately reflects the user's input and skill. I'm not wanting anything more from mine...yet. If I get another machine, it will be a commercial lever. May just be getting in the trap of, "this tastes really good, but can it taste even better?"

interseismic

Postby interseismic » Apr 06, 2018, 9:34 pm

No

RikC

Postby RikC » Apr 07, 2018, 12:49 pm

No, not at all.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Apr 07, 2018, 1:05 pm

Talking to a fellow HB'er here in the Rockies. I think you have try the machines out and compare. I had an S1 for 10 years. Loved it. As a retirement gift to ourselves, my wife I and I just got a Slayer. The PreBrew options are endless and they do make a difference to us at least as we experiment. Some coffees seem better with shorter and some with longer. It's all so new to us though.

This morning extending pre-infusion on a particular coffee made all the difference. I thought it would not be a good cup and it was one of the best ones we pulled.

So all I can say is go compare them, ideally with the same coffee. Especially if you are in a big city, you might find HB'rs willing. I understand the price difference. Just saying that whatever you are considering, try to use them before you buy.

Michael

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » replying to EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Apr 07, 2018, 2:30 pm

Congratulations on your Slayer and retirement!

FotonDrv

Postby FotonDrv » Apr 07, 2018, 6:21 pm

EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote:So all I can say is go compare them, ideally with the same coffee. Especially if you are in a big city, you might find HB'rs willing. I understand the price difference. Just saying that whatever you are considering, try to use them before you buy.

Michael

I love the way the pre-infusion is so variable in Slayer so I imagine that making it available in other machines would have similar benefits.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » Apr 07, 2018, 6:36 pm

JayBeck wrote:Congratulations on your Slayer and retirement!

Thanks Jayson and Stephen,

I an hear the 911 call now, over caffeinated man chasing elk down the road, because yes there are so many options to easily adjust - prebrew time, brew pressure, and temp. Was surprised today when a shot I thought wouldn't work due to long pre brew, was actually the sweetest.