La Marzocco Linea Mini maintenance - Draining boilers time window?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
linuxAndJavaScript

#1: Post by linuxAndJavaScript »

Reading through the Linea Mini manual it states to periodically clean out the shot and steamer boilers to avoid mineral deposits. It states this under 'Cleaning (Periodic)' which is defined by:

This cleaning schedule is based upon a moderate to average use (20-300) cups per day.

For the draining of boilers to reduce mineral deposits, I would think the more drinks you make would decrease this because you have more water running through.

For a single person making about 10 drinks a week, wouldn't the water become more stagnant thus requiring boiler drain/refills more often? If so, how often to preserve a 5k machine? And more confusing, periodically is not defined here and is opened to interpretation for 20-300 cups per a day for a basis.

ben8jam

#2: Post by ben8jam »

var drinksPerDay = 2.
var coffee = {
type: "espresso",
bean: "kenya"
};

var tasks = {};

tasks.drinkCoffee = function(dpd,coffee) {
if (dpd > 2) {
alert(coffee.type+" overload! But that "+coffee.bean+" was sure juicy!");
}
else {
alert("Not enough "+coffee.type+"! Drink more!");
}

tasks.drinkCoffee();

Lol sorry, could help it per your username :) I don't think I read that part in the manual. I also heard that manual is an odd mix between their full size ommercial line and the mini. You should email LaM Home support, I'd be curious too. They told me to leave it on 24/7 unless I planned on not using it for 24 hours, because sitting that long was what caused the build up.

Advertisement
nuketopia

#3: Post by nuketopia »

On the LMLM, they advised me to about once per month, drain the steam boiler and refill it. You can just let it come to full temperature, turn the machine off and open the hot water valve with a suitable container underneath to drain it. It will just about empty.

I usually fill the water reservoir with low TDS water (right out of my RO system) to refill the steam boiler.

The brew boiler is very small you can run about 6 oz of water and completely exchange whatever is in it.

ben8jam

#4: Post by ben8jam »

nuketopia wrote:On the LMLM, they advised me to about once per month, drain the steam boiler and refill it. You can just let it come to full temperature, turn the machine off and open the hot water valve with a suitable container underneath to drain it. It will just about empty.

I usually fill the water reservoir with low TDS water (right out of my RO system) to refill the steam boiler.
Huh that's good thinking. I didn't know to drain it monthly, but refilling with super low tds water is a great idea!

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia replying to ben8jam »

Yeah, I use it as an opportunity to remove and wash the water reservoir as well.

My RO system produces about 25ppm water, which is really low, but just enough ions to still conduct electricity and make the level sensor work. They don't recommend distilled for the reason that completely pure water is an insulator.

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by RockyIII »

When I had a Linea Mini, my routine included flushing 200 ml of water from the hot water tap (steam boiler) and 150 ml from the group head (brew boiler) prior to each session, once or twice a day. After each shot, I flushed 50 ml from the group head, and then I backflushed with plain water after each session. Once every two months, I backflushed with detergent.

I planned to perform a light descale annually, at which time I would have drained the steam boiler, but I sold the machine before it was a year old. If I get another Linea Mini, maybe I should plan to flush the steam boiler with more water more often.

Rocky

trunks235

#7: Post by trunks235 replying to RockyIII »

Any reason you chose to get rid of the LM?

Advertisement
RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by RockyIII »

trunks235 wrote:Any reason you chose to get rid of the LM?
Bilal,

I really like the Linea Mini for its consistent shots and temperature control along with the commercial quality build, but over a year ago I bought a new Cremina. I thought I might keep both machines, but when I found myself using the Cremina exclusively I decided to sell the Linea Mini. I like the Cremina for its size, simple design, and ability to make great shots. However, my arm is not as consistent as a pump, and lately I have been missing the Linea Mini. Since I'm good at rationalizing and 'tis the season, I'm thinking about buying another one. :?

Rocky

nrh

#9: Post by nrh »

I empty the boilers once every three months. I only do a couple cups a day though. My machine is on less than two hours a day and I use Crystal Geyser water from Weed, CA.
Nick H.

ben8jam

#10: Post by ben8jam replying to nrh »

LaM actually advised me to not turn the machine off and on as it can damage parts and gaskets. They said to switch off if not using for more than 24 hours, per build up in boiler, but otherwise leave on all the time. Which I do. It's part of the reason I bought a mini.

I only make a couple drinks in first part of day too.