La Marzocco Linea Mini Loose Paddle

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jacksen

#1: Post by Jacksen »

Hi All, the paddle on my linea mini gets looser and looser each day and i have open it up to tighten it back .However the next day it will be loose again . Have any linea mini owners experience this? Would any members here have any solution?

nuketopia

#2: Post by nuketopia »

I've had this happen.

The paddle is held on by two nuts stacked on top of each other. The first nut sets the tension of the paddle (how stiff it is to turn). The nut on top of that is used a jam-nut to hold the first nut from backing off.

To get the thing right, first set up the first nut and tighten until the paddle movement is firm and a bit on the stiff side. Then put the second nut on. You will need two wrenches to tighten this up. One wrench on the lower nut, to hold it firmly in place, then a second wrench to tighten and torquen the jam nut against the lower nut.

Mine kept coming loose until I tightened the jam nut, using two wrenches, with the machine warmed up. (unplugged of course). It is a kinda goofy way to put that together.

Jacksen (original poster)

#3: Post by Jacksen (original poster) »

Hi Nuketopia, it is very hard to do the procedure from the top , did you have to take out the entire front panel to do so?

nuketopia

#4: Post by nuketopia »

No, it can be done from the top, just by accessing the small top cover above the paddle. (unplug!!! there's 120v up there otherwise).

The tricky part is getting a wrench on the lower nut, so you can tighten the upper nut down tight against it. I found that tightening it while it was all pretty warm did the trick and it hasn't come loose since.

It's the kind of thing a cotter pin was invented for. Or at least, a self-locking nut. Or maybe a drop of loctite. Hand made in Italy. :P

Jacksen (original poster)

#5: Post by Jacksen (original poster) replying to nuketopia »

I did like you said and so far everything seems good. Thank you very much for the help. I hope it will not come loose for sometime.