La Marzocco Linea Mini Leaking at Brew Boiler

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Beezer

#1: Post by Beezer »

I've been a happy Linea Mini owner for about seven years. It's been working without problems for most of that time. I did have a leak at the pump years ago, but got that sorted out with help from the LM people.

Anyway, I recently decided to give the machine some bling with a walnut group cover and steam/hot water handles. Yesterday, the new parts arrived and I installed them without much trouble. But in the course of installing the group cover, I had to take the top metal cover plate off the group. Inside, I noticed that the brew boiler had quite a bit of scale buildup on the pipes and fittings on both sides. Looks like it's been leaking there for some time. I haven't noticed that the leak makes a difference during use, but obviously it's not an ideal situation.

I have contacted LM customer support, and they recommended taking the machine to a repair shop. Unfortunately, the closest one is over two hours away in Atascadero. There's also one in Santa Cruz, but that's almost three hours away from me.

I'm wondering if it would be a repair I could do on my own. I saw another thread where someone fixed a boiler leak by just using PTFE tape on the threads. Seems like it might work. Any thoughts? Should I just bite the bullet and take the machine in for professional service? Thanks for your input.
Lock and load!

dockoelboto

#2: Post by dockoelboto »

I'm sure if you are willing to give it a try you can fix it.

I'd consider replacing the connections on each side of the brew boiler and definitely either using a liquid sealant or a lot of PTFE Tape. There are many threads about the pros and cons of each - basically just a bunch of opinions. I'd also consider looking inside your brew boiler to assess for scale there that needs to be corrected.

There are videos on opening the boiler and there is an o-ring there that typically needs to be replaced. I hear it is about a $40 USD o-ring. If you clean it up and replace the connections, you'll likely be fine. Just my limited opinion at least.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

Sorry, that mini is irreparable. Just ship it to me for disposal :lol:
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”