La Marzocco Linea Mini - Leaking After Plumbing In

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ShaneW

#1: Post by ShaneW »

Hello,

I have a Linea Mini that is about a year and a half old. I just plumbed it in and after checking the fitting inside the machine was nice and dry left it hooked up to the main water (coming from a BWT filter).

Later I noticed that the drip tray was full of water, and it seems to be coming from the middle while plastic fitting. Could anyone offer insight into why this is happening? Main pressure too high (it was reading at 60psi which I thought was plenty low)?

Thanks for any help. I would prefer not to have to switch it back to the tank if possible.

Here is a pic from another post, as mentioned mine is leaking from the white pipe:

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

Hey Shane,

Unfortunately I believe that white pipe is the drain from your vacuum breaker and/or boiler safety relief valve. What is your boiler pressure gauge reading?

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

ShaneW (original poster)

#3: Post by ShaneW (original poster) »

Hello Jake,

Really appreciate the help. When the water supply is turned on my boiler gauge is at zero, my brew pressure valve goes from 0 to 3.

When the machine is warmed up my boiler gauge is at 1.4, brew pressure goes up to 12 while brewing but then moves down to 3 again after the pump stops.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

ShaneW wrote:Main pressure too high (it was reading at 60psi which I thought was plenty low)?
I don't know what LM recommends for maximum inlet water pressure, but generally speaking and assuming a reasonable flow rate, lower is better to reduce the risk of a sticky solenoid leading to a flood. Our house line pressure is 55 PSI. See Flood Mitigation for Plumbed Espresso Machines for other helpful tips.

On a related note, last week our dishwasher's refill valve failed to close during a wash cycle and started to flood the kitchen. Fortunately my son happen to be walking by and stepped in the growing puddle. :shock: He turned the dishwasher off and got towels to soak up the water, so the hardwood floor was not damaged. The repair guy mentioned that they advise against running any appliance unattended. Some dishwashers, like ours, have a catch pan with a sensor to detect a flood situation and activate the drain pump; others just overflow and keep running. :roll:

I shared this story because it demonstrates that any plumbed in appliance -- especially those without a drain -- can overflow. We were lucky that my son caught it so quickly, otherwise the floor damage would have been significant.
Dan Kehn

chipman

#5: Post by chipman »

That stuck dishwasher inlet valve story brings back horrible memories from last year. Not only did my kitchen get flooded but the two condos below and a common area were damaged, May have been the worse night in my entire life, no exaggeration. Thankfully, Dan you caught the problem before it got much worse.

ShaneW (original poster)

#6: Post by ShaneW (original poster) »

Thanks for the input, I've ordered an inline pressure regulator (lowest I could find was 40psi but its something) and I also ordered new vacuum breaker seal (I think its part number F.2.019 if I'm not mistaken.

I have a flood sensor/alarm running on wifi in my basement by the sump pump. From your stories I'm thinking I may run one behind my machine...

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

Shane,
ShaneW wrote:When the machine is warmed up my boiler gauge is at 1.4, brew pressure goes up to 12 while brewing but then moves down to 3 again after the pump stops.
I think your pump pressure is too high with the higher line pressure and is sending water out of your expansion valve (which should be set to 12 bar) while you are brewing.

You need to lower the pump pressure by adjusting the bypass valve on the side of the brew pump, located in the back of the machine. It is a tight fit, but it can be adjusted from the top without removing the rear cover. Once this is set to be less than 12 bar, the expansion valve will stop leaking and your water in the drain tray problem should subside.

I would lower the pressure now, and then adjust the pressure again when you install the pressure regulator unless you already have it ready to install.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704