La Marzocco Linea Mini - Follow up question on leaving on 24/7 - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ciaran

#21: Post by Ciaran »

If you insulated the machine when not in use, it should reduce the energy usage as it would reduce heat loss. Placing something like a tea cosy over the machine would do it. There's a business opportunity - custom quilts for your espresso machine.

arcus
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by arcus »

sluflyer06 wrote:Even accounting for heat up power consumption which is roughly 475w for the first hour which includes heat-up and then idle. Say you had a timer set and left it on 4 hours a day so you could have espresso every morning.

4 hours a day with a heat-up every day comes out to *roughly* 38 kilowatt hours a month.
24 hours a day including 1 time heat-up over 31 days comes out to *roughly* 180 kilowatt hours a month.

I live in Missouri our power is pretty cheap, for the summer months that comes out to $66 for the 3 summer months and $142 for the other 9 months at our lower "winter" rate. Or $208/year in electricity.

If you did 4 hours a day, with a heat up every day that's $15 for the summer months and $30 for the other 9 months for a total of $45/year.

So to put it in one line it's $208/year for 24/7 and about $45/year for 4 hours a day in Missouri. Is it significant to most of us here? No, at least, not financially. But it's a pretty drastic difference in consumption and if someone were environmentally conscious about power use or lived somewhere with very high electricity costs it could become tangible.
Thanks for sharing that info as it is interesting. If you only use your machine in the morning then it's a good reason to put it on a timer.

I use my machine in the morning, afternoon and occasionally at night so the savings aren't as compelling when you're only turning the machine off for 8 hours a day.

nuketopia

#23: Post by nuketopia »

Mine's been on a timer for the last 3-1/2 years. Goes on for several hours every morning. Hasn't hurt anything.

The vacuum breaker is just a weak design, which apparently has been updated by LM. Looks like they have a new assembly. I still have the old one, I changed the teflon insert and o-ring for about $3.00. It's been going strong for a long time. Maybe it was improved too.

You can leave it on all the time too. It just makes my kitchen warm up. Nicer in the winter than the summer.

LMLM + Monolith Conical. Very happy coffee drinker. Don't think about gear much anymore. Think about coffee and enjoy it.

BoulderMike

#24: Post by BoulderMike » replying to nuketopia »

I wonder if I have the new vacuum breaker? I purchased my LMLM in May of this year. Not sure what you mean by the teflon insert and o-ring. Anyway, like you I am a happy coffee drinker for sure. Very happy with the LMLM. Not so much with the Niche Zero. It is fine for what it is, but I don't think it is up to snuff with the LMLM. I am hoping to get a successful order for a Monolith in the next batch. Many people do say the Monolith Conical is great for the LMLM. For some reason I am gravitating towards the Flat. I just like it's overall look and design better. It is a bit more dollars, but still within my budget. I am hoping to get a Flat with the upgraded burrs. If I do, like you, I will not be looking to upgrade. Of course, there is always the roaster. I am currently using an old Freshroast 500 but thinking of upgrading to a Cormorant.

Anyway, thanks for the response. I have started turning my LMLM off each day so time will tell how that works out.

pcrussell50

#25: Post by pcrussell50 »

The conical is such a good match for the LMLM, I'd hate to blow my chance by gambling on a Flat. Then again, if you upgrade to a machine with programmable pre infusion or on-the-fly flow control, AND use the kind of beans that are best done that way, you will be glad you have a Flat... Or better still, a FlatMax from what I hear.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

nuketopia

#26: Post by nuketopia »

There are actually 2 vacuum breakers in the LMLM. There's one on the boiler, which closes as the pressure comes up. The other is on the steam-wand valve, which opens when you shut the steam wand off, to keep milk from getting sucked up the wand.

There are some plastic bits inside the vacuum breaker valves that are easy to replace.

BoulderMike

#27: Post by BoulderMike »

pcrussell50 wrote:The conical is such a good match for the LMLM, I'd hate to blow my chance by gambling on a Flat. Then again, if you upgrade to a machine with programmable pre infusion or on-the-fly flow control, AND use the kind of beans that are best done that way, you will be glad you have a Flat... Or better still, a FlatMax from what I hear.

-Peter
I know, it is irrational, I just like the Flat better. Seems I don't need the Flat, but ..... As to upgrade, if I have my way that will never happen. I am old enough that my hope/plan is to leave the LMLM to my daughter and son-in-law. Other than the grinder, and roaster, I am done. I am beyond satisfied with the LMLM and not sophisticated enough to care about the programmable pre infusion, or flow control. They are nice to haves, but not nice enough to get me to upgrade. That being said, if I had enough room I might add a Decent to my "collection" to play around with those variables. I can barely fit the stuff I have in my kitchen, so likely no more machines will be added.

As to the Conical, is it that much easier to get an order in for the it over the Flat?

pcrussell50

#28: Post by pcrussell50 »

BoulderMike wrote: As to the Conical, is it that much easier to get an order in for the it over the Flat?
New, possibly not. But Monoliths are just as good used as new and...

...Used Flats have been selling at or above original price, and usually via "back room" deals, in other words, they don't even have to be listed. Used conicals have been making it to the "for sale" forums, sell for less than new, and at least one right here on HB even had a "price drop" before it actually sold.

If you are going to get a Decent and explore its full capability, that's where you will appreciate a Flat.

If you plan to keep your LMLM as an "heirloom" piece, be sure to avoid scale. By that I mean, do not rely on descaling as a scale management strategy. Don't get scale in the first place. AND keep up on the maintenance. Inspect for leaks and get them addressed ASAP. Scale and leaky corroded fittings over years can make repairs cost more than a new machine.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

BoulderMike

#29: Post by BoulderMike » replying to pcrussell50 »

Thanks Peter for all the great information. As a general rule I just don't like buying used things. I did see the Conicals for sale but it seemed to me they weren't really much cheaper than new, and they had signs of wear. I could be wrong, just my impression.

Don't even get me started on the whole reselling of Monolith's. I think it sucks that some people have several Monolith's, and buy and sell them over time, and others can't even get one. I just want one Flat and then I hope to use it for the rest of my life, just like the LMLM.

As to scale, I fully agree. I have discussed with LM and one thing is that where I live, in Boulder County, CO, the water is very good quality. Plus I use Brita pitchers to filter the already good quality water. I keep the shower screen and portafilter clean, and rinse the machine after each brew. I also clean everything, backflush and flow test every week. As to maintenance, I am not 100% sure as to how often to do that yet, but one of the main selling points for the LMLM for me was that I can have it serviced in my home. I didn't want an E61 machine as they often require shipping for warranty or maintenance work. I prefer not to open up the machine and tinker with it myself if I can avoid it, but will do that if absolutely necessary.

pcrussell50

#30: Post by pcrussell50 »

By all means have it serviced in your home. But you should still become comfortable at least taking the covers off to look for evidence of leaks. And have them dealt with as soon as possible.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Brita pitchers remove scale, (calcium and magnesium carbonates). Here's a fun coincidence... I have an espresso specific filter system that removes calcium and magnesium carbonates for my plumbed machine... the seller is an ebay dealer... in Boulder Colorado. :)

-Peter
LMWDP #553